Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Vibration / Buzz at highway speed (Read 334 times)
boratedoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vibration / Buzz at highway speed
04/16/13 at 21:50:56

Hi folks, new S40 owner here. I found a 2009 in showroom condition with VERY low miles (still in break in period but no warranty) for a great price so I picked it up. Have put about 200 miles on it so far, mostly backroads @ 45 mph or less with no issues at all, and really like it -  BUT I just got it out on the highway today and at 55-60 good golly! - does it ever vibrate !! MUCH more than I expected @ 3800 - 4000 rpm in 5th.  I'm hoping the bike might smooth out some with some more miles on it ( only @ 500 now) but at this point I'm concerned either something might be wrong mechcanically or I just plain bought the wrong bike (for me). (Seller / dealer didn't allow test rides- lesson learned)

Now I know it's a thumper (my first street bike after several dirt bikes - singles also, but 2 strokes, 10 yrs riding experience) and there's going to be vibration, it's supposed to vibrate, but my hands (and butt) were completely numb after only a few minutes at 55 - 60 mph. Grips, tank, pegs, seat -everything buzzes like crazy, to the point of real discomfort, to the point of avoiding any road with a speed limit over 45mph. I didn't buy the bike to cruise the superslab, and don't expect "Gold Wing " style smoothness at any speed, but I would like to be able to drive the thing across town and right now I wouldn't even try. (Numb hands and feet don't opertae those controls very well) Has me wondering if something is amiss, or my expectations are just unrealistic.

I think my front wheel might be slightly out of balance, but disengaging the clutch (at 55) greatly reduces the vibes, so it's mostly engine (?) vibes I'm feeling I think. Drive belt is centered and correct tension bike is box stock other than mix screw adjutsment. I've read a lot here on the forum before posting and my thanks go to all of you who have contributed to this great site. Hoping you guys can give me some insight - give it to me straight, no candy coating, is there a possible mechanical issue here or just the nature of the Savage thumper beast? Did I get a lemon or am I just a wuss ?? I know the issue of vibration is a subjective thing, but how much is too much?

Many thanks for your help!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Vibration / Buzz at highway speed
Reply #1 - 04/16/13 at 22:23:48

The Savage has a huge counter-balancer... it's generally smoother than most v-twins... (nothing like a 60's thumper)...
I would check belt tension,... motor mounts, and wheel balance...  
If you have custom bars or pegs,... they may be culprit...

Seriously,.. friends that ride my bike, are shocked by how smooth it is...

From your description,... I'd say, particularly check the top motor mount...

Otherwise,... just quit being such a wuss...
...(kidding) Grin...
... it honestly is, the smoothest thumper over 250cc that I've ever ridden...

I feel hardly any vibes under 70mph... and then, I start to get some finger numbing,... but, that's mostly me holding myself on, without a windshield...
Deathhh Griipppp!.... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/16/13 at 22:31:51

Where you at?  You'd have to meet a fellow savagidian to see if it's your bike or you.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 04/16/13 at 22:33:42

verslagen1 wrote on 04/16/13 at 22:31:51:
Where you at?  You'd have to meet a fellow savagidian to see if it's your bike or you.

That was a lot easier.... why didn't I think of that?...
...(rhetorical...  please don't tell me)... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
boratedoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/16/13 at 23:01:19

Serowbot,

I think the belt tension is Ok (can do the 90 deg twist w/ 2 fingers & thumb), but have NOT checked motor mount bolts yet - just assumed with bike @ only 500 miles (300 by me) this was a non- issue, but that word "assume" can bite ya, eh? Not a bolt or nut on the bike looks like it's ever seen a wrench, but assembly stuff happens. Is there any way the counterbalancer could shift or be indexed incorrectly???

I don't have a service manual yet and couldnt download the one in the link in FAQ for some reason. I know the peg bolts are also motor mt bolts and can probably locate the others - are there any "hidden ones"? (And loctite seem to be in order if loose obviously)

Not averse to doing my own maintenance work and have some auto experience, but limited somewhat by tools at present (no torque wrenchs specifically). And not about to let a dealer touch it - one of the main reasons I bought this bike. Been there done that. But also not into engine teardown/ rebuild type stuffDid quite a bit of reading on this forum before purchase. As mine stands right now "smooth" in only applicable when it's below 45 mph. Only bike I ever rode that buzzed this bad was an old 70's Honda 350 twin, but that was @ right about the ton!

Verslagen,
Im in East TN, not too awfully far from Deal's Gap (but I don't even drive my car on that road!) Don't know of another Savage owner nearby but that sure would provide a good perspective if everything mechanical checks out.

Thanks guys!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/16/13 at 23:06:44

maybe the dragon riders will call on you.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304436941

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/17/13 at 04:44:19

verslagen1 wrote on 04/16/13 at 23:06:44:

The people going to visit the Dragon would be happy to help, and would love to meet another Savage owner.  Not sure you want to wait 2 months to get your problem solved though!

I would check the motor mount bolts ass suggested.  Also check the front pulley nut.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/17/13 at 08:04:09

Dave wrote on 04/17/13 at 04:44:19:
verslagen1 wrote on 04/16/13 at 23:06:44:

The people going to visit the Dragon would be happy to help, and would love to meet another Savage owner.  Not sure you want to wait 2 months to get your problem solved though!

I would check the motor mount bolts ass suggested.  Also check the front pulley nut.

I would check the motor mount bolts ass suggested.  

WHO suggested?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 04/17/13 at 08:17:09

Bot did,JOG you do have trouble understanding posts.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #9 - 04/17/13 at 09:55:25

bill67 wrote on 04/17/13 at 08:17:09:
Bot did,JOG you do have trouble understanding posts.

Roll Eyes

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
boratedoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/17/13 at 10:00:08

Hey Bill666

just go crawl back in your hole OK?

IP Logged
boratedoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/17/13 at 10:05:18

Verslagen

are you referring to the front belt pulley nut?

IP Logged
boratedoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/17/13 at 10:23:30

Dave -

very kind of you to offer your assistance, but this will be sorted one way or another before then I assure you Wink

On re-reading guess it was you not verslagen who sugggested front pulley nut as a possibility - if I recall it has a high torque spec does it not?

Based on the responses so far, and my past experience, I'm leaning toward a mechanical issue, as opposed to "the nature of the beast" (unfortunately)  

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I'll keep you posted on the what I find (if I can find time to work on it

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 04/17/13 at 10:26:31

I had a loose flywheel nut on mly engine that started at about 400 miles and got horribly loud at 1,000 miles.  It was more noise than vibration - but as it got worse it did start to vibrate the foot pegs.

The front pulley nut is a big torque item - but you should be able to tell if things are loose as the nut has a lock tab - and if the tab is in place and looks like it is bent over properly - the nut has probably not moved.

The bike is pretty smooth when it is working as it should.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 04/17/13 at 11:31:29

All singles vibrate the bigger it is the more,I have had Suzuki Gn400,Yamaha SR 500 ,the S40 vibrates harder.If they had geared it higher it would be better for a faster speed than it is now.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:21:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Vibration / Buzz at highway speed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.