Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Runs but loss of power on throttle...tuning issue? (Read 125 times)
Sticks16
YaBB Newbies

Tampa, Florida
Runs but loss of power on throttle...tuning issue?
04/16/13 at 18:42:40

When I bought the bike in January it had a Jardine slash cut, stock airbox, stock jets and ran well. I have recently put on a k&n cone filter, rejetted the carb to a 55 pilot and 155 main as I had read somewhere on here that with the couple mods and jardine exhaust, that was a good combo. Recently I was riding the bike to work and it started puttering out and stalled at a light. I couldn't get it started and knew I had enough gas. Later after work I was able to start it in pri and rode it home on reserve setting after figuring out it didnt want to continue to run in the "ON" position. Bad petcock right? I replaced it with a Raptor thinking this would solve that problem but the bike seems to have been running worse ever since this issue. I know the carb is clean because I had it apart but I'm wondering if I need to downsize the jet(s) and or could this issue lie elsewhere? I'm not very mechanically educated and have been learning and wrenching as I go thanks to you all but I'm reaching out because I DO NOT trust mechanics AT ALL and feel I've hit a wall in this situation. I am able to start the bike and it seems to be idling well but just today I took it out and when I rolled on the throttle it  felt like it wouldnt go further and would lose power/wouldn't accelerate further, just in first. I wouldnt shift because it wasnt hitting high enough. It then stalled on me after a little while. When I started it again after parking it I rolled the throttle and it felt the same, no power and wanting to cut out around a 1/4 turn. I'm hoping it's something simple I am overlooking (don't we all), or one of the typical issues on these thumpers, but regardless..........HELP! Much thanks for reading and any responses ahead.

-J

J-Bird
  IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Runs but loss of power on throttle...tuning is
Reply #1 - 04/16/13 at 20:29:25

Don't you also need to also have the crank case breather filtered and hooked up somewhere?

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 04/16/13 at 21:14:28

I was having the same problem after the raptor change and I went in and removed the white washer and replaced it with a thinner one. Got the mid range back, also when I before I removed the spacer I noticed the needle was sticking, so after I removed the needle I cleaned it off before removing the washer and replacing it, now it runs good in the mid-range too.
Of course i'm a newb and don't know much either... just relaying my experiance with the mid-range lugging.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 04/16/13 at 21:30:13

I also had the same issue after putting my raptor petcock on, and couldn't for the life of me figure it out for days what the issue was, until I did a fuel flow test.  All I was getting was a tiny stream of fuel out of the fuel line from the petcock.  So I took my raptor petcock apart and found a dried up dead roach inside of it.  Once I pulled that bug out and gave it a good cleaning and put everything back together, she ran like she never did before and has been running great since.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Sticks16
YaBB Newbies

Tampa, Florida
Reply #4 - 04/17/13 at 00:12:38

I have a small cone style filter on the breather tube. Everything was working great and strong after all the mods (maybe a little rich) but strong and then all down hill slowly. I've just put the petock on brand new so I cant see an issue with that and I do have the vac hose sealed off from the right side of the carb so it should be running direct to the carb. My plan is to take the carb apart again, make sure all is well, and downsize the main jet by one to produce a slightly more lean mixture. I also need to get into the camshaft and check that out since the cam chain tensioner is a common issue on these bikes.

J-Bird
  IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 04/17/13 at 06:53:20

I have the Jardine as well and im having issues but not stalling out. Before  when I had the same jet setup as you (as i read from this forum) it cut out as well for me every so often. I stepped down on the main jet and it seemed to work..

Still have low end issues that im working on

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:21:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Runs but loss of power on throttle...tuning issue?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.