Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bike locked up on me on the freeway (Read 539 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Bike locked up on me on the freeway
Reply #30 - 04/20/13 at 01:16:24

First post  

Liamgeraghty wrote on 04/16/13 at 14:26:04:
I was cruising down the 405 at around 60 miles an hour when all of a sudden my bike starts braking for me I was on the throttle not on brakes I have no idea how it happened. The bike still starts up and I rode it just a little to see if it would roll. If anyone has any idea what locked up on me I would appreciate the input
I

Last posts

Liamgeraghty wrote on 04/19/13 at 00:00:02:
RidgeRunner13 wrote on 04/18/13 at 18:25:06:
It's the "pipe caught fire" part that is throwing me off....

That's the only thing throwing you off? I'm wondering why OF hasn't jumped in here & asked why you're trying to answer this with unclear info being given.

I think an invisible force field caused all his problems. It's a conspiracy against motorcycles!!! Roll Eyes

I'm just trying to get some tips on what to check cus nobody had any idea what happened to my bike so this is where I'm resorting to for extra information [/quote]

=======================

The whole thing is a "Newbie reality" pop test and the Mod Squad is busy laughing at it rather than straightening it out because it is so whacked it is hitting them in their funny bones.

First thought from me is he had some sort of "event" at running speed.   Type of event could be fuel, electrical or braking which would all fit the symptoms as noted.

Electrical is by nature intermittent and he won't see that again for a bit.  Something cut his engine off abruptly, which could be accidental kickstand actuation, kill switch wiring, etc. etc. etc.

Fuel can be intermittent but generally isn't brutally abrupt.  It will happen again, then he can provide more appropriate information.   The evil vac sucker will always out itself, always.  

Brakes, just have him check the stamped line on his rear brake lever star shaft (the actuator shaft) and see where they point inside the marks on the rear hub.   Making him take his stuff apart isn't really required, now is it?

If I was a super low skills brand new newbie, you might not get any really accurate information from me first off the bat.   All I might be able to tell you on the first time is "something unexpected happened" and seemed to heal itself on the way home.

I would be able to do a better job describing it next time it happened, because I would know a little more and I would be waiting for it to happen this time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Bike locked up on me on the freeway
Reply #31 - 04/22/13 at 06:27:27

Liamgeraghty wrote on 04/19/13 at 16:24:34:
Can someone explain to me what the brake overcam is?

Your rear brake is activated by a lever, that then rotates a cam that is basically a rectangle (with rounded ends)located between the brake shoes.  The narrow side of the rectangle is between the shoes, and as you step on the brake pedal the rectangle rotates and causes the shoes to spread apart and push on the brake drum...and the brakes shoes pushing on the drum causes friction.....and slows the bike down.

"Overcam" is a situation where the brake shoes have become so worn, and the adjustment has been cranked in so much - that the brake cam (rectangle) can rotate more than 90 degrees and get locked into position....so that the brakes will not release.  This is most likely to have occurred while applying the brake hard......not while just riding down the highway wiith your foot off the brake.

Where you applying the brake when the sudden stop occured?  Your orignal post made it sound like you were just riding at a steady speed while the event occurred.

It is time for you to do some work and look your bike over.  Everyone has given you some things to look at and check.  Get your homework done......then post again and let us know what you found.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:26:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike locked up on me on the freeway

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.