Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bike locked up on me on the freeway (Read 539 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Bike locked up on me on the freeway
Reply #15 - 04/17/13 at 23:24:38

Bronze rear end

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Liamgeraghty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 04/18/13 at 00:38:21

Serowbot wrote on 04/17/13 at 16:33:28:
Something I just learned....  If the rear hub becomes overly worn, (probably from from over-adjusting the brake, or wearing it down to bare metal),...  the brake arm can overcam and lock up the rear...

Liam,... your rear hub isn't heat tarnished to bronze,.. is it?...
(That will mean, the hub has seen extreme heat from locking up)...

I am not sure but I do know that the rear brake was squeezing alot whenever I would brake hard so i will check that out tomorrow but that could be a possibility. We had just went on a 90 mile ride that day so it was Definatly used a lot that afternoon.
Cus I know the brake arm still works and what not but need to inspect the actual pad itself

IP Logged
Liamgeraghty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 04/18/13 at 00:40:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/17/13 at 07:05:01:
Liamgeraghty wrote on 04/16/13 at 20:49:54:
Yeah within a couple seconds of it locking up my buddy hit me with his bike.

Tell your "Buddy" to follow at a safe distance..

Cool

Would be a good time to change oil. Drain into something clean & inspect the oil for aluminum bits & ferrous bits, IOW, drag a magnet thru it & shine a lite at it, maybe even pour it thru a paint filter, or Tee shirt. Mite wanna autopsy the oil filter, see whats in there.

If I find any aluminum bits what would that mean

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 04/18/13 at 01:02:29

Not sure about aluminum,... maybe top-end valves and rings... but, steel... would be some tranny lock-up?...

I'm just guessin'... I'll be interested to know...
I'm more a tuner, than a machinist.... Tongue....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #19 - 04/18/13 at 09:15:46

geez...this guy locks up his bike at a clip, gets knocked off by his riding buddy and is talking like it's no big deal...I'd be sitting on the couch drinking beer for a week after that!

anyway, only time I've had a lock up it was on a 2-stroke and it wasn't going fast but stopped me pretty quick...piston seized...just sayin'
bike started back up and ran but when i pulled the jug off it the piston was smeared pretty bad...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Liamgeraghty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 04/18/13 at 10:13:27

UndecidedBubba wrote on 04/18/13 at 09:15:46:
geez...this guy locks up his bike at a clip, gets knocked off by his riding buddy and is talking like it's no big deal...I'd be sitting on the couch drinking beer for a week after that!

anyway, only time I've had a lock up it was on a 2-stroke and it wasn't going fast but stopped me pretty quick...piston seized...just sayin'
bike started back up and ran but when i pulled the jug off it the piston was smeared pretty bad...

I was thinking Poston could of seized as well. And yeah crash was bad but I was protected by some good gear still nursing a sprained wrist but everything else is healed up was 2 Fridays ago

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #21 - 04/18/13 at 10:57:45

Liamgeraghty wrote on 04/16/13 at 19:54:29:
Yeah the bike is still running just fine I haven't gone farther then 1\4 of a mile cus I was knocked off my bike going 60 and the pipe cought fire

"I was thinking Poston could of seized as well. And yeah crash was bad but I was protected by some good gear still nursing a sprained wrist but everything else is healed up was 2 Fridays ago"

If the bike ran fine after you locked it up at 60, had the pipe catch on fire, and had your buddy run over you, the piston did not seize.

Just my 2 cents

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #22 - 04/18/13 at 14:40:37

Can I get some clarification on the "pipe caught fire" part of all this? Exhaust pipe? At the muffler end? At the head end? In the middle? Did something get on it or was it so hot the chrome/wrapping/whatever burned?

Could a valve in the wrong position be strong enough to stop the piston in a single stroke, power stroke after intake but right before or during ignition? Just throwing out ideas?

Could a blockage in the muffler, including raw fuel that then ignites be enough back-force to stop the engine on the exhaust stroke?

Or a bad baffle that recreates the "banana/potato in the tail pipe" joke.

It's the "pipe caught fire" part that is throwing me off....

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Liamgeraghty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 04/18/13 at 18:14:37

Dane Allen wrote on 04/18/13 at 14:40:37:
Can I get some clarification on the "pipe caught fire" part of all this? Exhaust pipe? At the muffler end? At the head end? In the middle? Did something get on it or was it so hot the chrome/wrapping/whatever burned?

Could a valve in the wrong position be strong enough to stop the piston in a single stroke, power stroke after intake but right before or during ignition? Just throwing out ideas?

Could a blockage in the muffler, including raw fuel that then ignites be enough back-force to stop the engine on the exhaust stroke?

Or a bad baffle that recreates the "banana/potato in the tail pipe" joke.

The tail end of it was ony burned and it was from the overflow of gas leeking onto it luckily somebody put the fire out in just 40 seconds or so and yeah I get alot of backfire

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #24 - 04/18/13 at 18:25:06

It's the "pipe caught fire" part that is throwing me off.... [/quote]

That's the only thing throwing you off? I'm wondering why OF hasn't jumped in here & asked why you're trying to answer this with unclear info being given.

I think an invisible force field caused all his problems. It's a conspiracy against motorcycles!!! Roll Eyes

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Liamgeraghty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 04/19/13 at 00:00:02

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 04/18/13 at 18:25:06:

That's the only thing throwing you off? I'm wondering why OF hasn't jumped in here & asked why you're trying to answer this with unclear info being given.

I think an invisible force field caused all his problems. It's a conspiracy against motorcycles!!! Roll Eyes [/quote]

I'm just trying to get some tips on what to check cus nobody had any idea what happened to my bike so this is where I'm resorting to for extra information

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #26 - 04/19/13 at 10:06:01

Liamgeraghty wrote on 04/19/13 at 00:00:02:
RidgeRunner13 wrote on 04/18/13 at 18:25:06:

I think an invisible force field caused all his problems. It's a conspiracy against motorcycles!!! Roll Eyes

I'm just trying to get some tips on what to check cus nobody had any idea what happened to my bike so this is where I'm resorting to for extra information [/quote]

Grin Grin Yeah, I know, I should have asked more questions. Since the fire is unrelated to the lock-up then the brake over-cam explanation makes sense.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Liamgeraghty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 04/19/13 at 16:24:34

Can someone explain to me what the brake overcam is?

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #28 - 04/19/13 at 16:29:36

Something I just learned....  If the rear hub becomes overly worn, (probably from from over-adjusting the brake, or wearing it down to bare metal),...  the brake arm can overcam and lock up the rear...

This post from page one, were you ever able to take a look at the rear brakes?

IP Logged
Liamgeraghty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 04/19/13 at 16:39:52

Dane Allen wrote on 04/19/13 at 16:29:36:

This post from page one, were you ever able to take a look at the rear brakes?

I haven't been able to get down to the brakes trying to figure out how to get into the rear brake once I get in their ill let ya know the condition

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 09:23:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike locked up on me on the freeway

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.