Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recommendation for tires? (Read 149 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Recommendation for tires?
04/15/13 at 17:00:12

Can someone recommend a set of tires that will match the front as well as the back?  Please give specifications and cost if possible.  Thanks for your insight, best regards.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Recommendation for tires?
Reply #1 - 04/15/13 at 20:02:04

pg wrote on 04/15/13 at 17:00:12:
Can someone recommend a set of tires that will match the front as well as the back?  Please give specifications and cost if possible.  Thanks for your insight, best regards.
Like your choice of beer, everyone have their own opinions.  I figure the expensive Metzeler ME880's are the cheapest per mile.  I like cheap.  Not to mention the correct size and excellent ride.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/15/13 at 21:09:21

Lot's will match... Dunlop 404's are popular, and mid-priced...
Shinko's can match, 712's I think, and they're good tires, and cheap... I have one on the back... but, I have a Kenda on the front...
I don't think my back tire, has any idea what my front is...
They don't speak much...  Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #3 - 04/15/13 at 21:57:15

My Shinko 712 has been great for the last 2500 miles and I can't really measure any wear on them, but those metzeler 880's are getting a bit cheaper with the 888's being released.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 04/15/13 at 23:44:49

If you don't put to many miles per year on your bike, the Perilli MT Route 66 tires are hard to beat.  They are a good low cost tire and the traction is wonderful on them even when the roads are wet.  Now if you put alot of miles on your bike per year, the metzlers are your best bet even though they cost more, because they will pretty much outlast any other M/C tire out there.   I think it's OF that has a mileage chart that also tracks the cost per mile based on member input in the Tech section.  I'm sure after this post he'll dig it up and post the link.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #5 - 04/16/13 at 06:13:14

If you ride a lot per year, go with a more expensive tire that gets more mileage. If you don't ride much, you can get a cheaper tire. My personal experience with Dunlop is that they don't last long. I haven't had Dunlops on my S40 but have had them on some of my other bikes. The Dunlop on my V Star did not last any longer than the stock tire on the S40 (7-8,000 miles). I have a Metzler 880 on the S40 with 15,000 miles on it and will probably get a couple more thousand miles out of it. Just put a Metzler 888 on the V Star and will see how it lasts. The 888 is suppose to get 20% more tread life than the 880, we will see.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/16/13 at 08:45:38

Hes right, Dunlop erases in about 5 or 6 K,, BUt, it never acted like it was gonna dump me.
How you ride
How Much you ride
major factors

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 04/16/13 at 09:07:38

I have about 8,000 on my Pirelli's and I can't even tell they have worn at all...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #8 - 04/16/13 at 09:11:24

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/16/13 at 08:45:38:
How you ride
How Much you ride
major factors

Very important factors. If you ride on good roads and only ride 5-6000 miles a year, go with less expensive tires. If you are like me and average 20,000 miles per year, spend the money for good tires with max tread life. I won't try to steer anyone to one brand or another, just give my personal experiences with the brands of tires that I have used.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #9 - 04/16/13 at 11:02:59

I ride a lot.  Most years I put more miles on the bike than my car!  I run Metzlers, and they last longer than most other tires, as well as sticking well, wet or dry.

Aida rides, but not near as much as I do.  I got her the Perilli MT66's and was very impressed.  She may not wear them out before they get old enough to replace anyway...  But they stick very well, and do not track the groves as bad as others.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #10 - 04/16/13 at 20:37:22

I replaced the junk stock tires with Bridgestone Spitfire tires because they were available with white lettering, just for a little different look.  4000 miles and I'm just starting to see signs of wear.  I have to run 4 lbs psi over factory recommendation for them to feel right.  They seem to do well in rain, but my only gauge is the stock IRCs I replaced. Grin

IP Logged
Santa Cruise
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/17/13 at 10:40:31

I replaced the stock tires with Metzeler ME880s last year and I am very satisfied.  Ride is great, handling great and the tread wear has been minimal, so far.  I'm happy!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:23:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Recommendation for tires?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.