Tuning assisstance (Read 232 times)
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Tuning assisstance
04/15/13 at 07:27:47

Hey guys,

I need some help tuning my carb. Diagnosing what the next step is and all.

S40 2007 with K&N Drop in filter. Yamaha Petcock. (35k KM Mileage)
Jardine Rumblers (no exhaust leaks), 87 Octane Gas, Rotelle t6 Oil
Carb Settings: 150 Main, 55 Pilot, 2.25 turns out. White spacer mod at 2/3 space.
Local Elevation: 200-500 feet above sea level (Toronto)

Symptoms:
1st Gear very short.
Slight roll off makes a sucking farting sound.
Deceleration Exhaust backfires (not frequent)
When Choke is engaged bike sputters then shuts off at any of the settings.

I already stepped down from a 152.5 jet to 150 main as the throttle response was flat.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Tuning assisstance
Reply #1 - 04/15/13 at 08:31:14

That don't sound too bad...
If anything,... balance wise, I'd say a #55 pilot is on tthe rich side for a #150 main...
TRY a #52.5 or even a #50...
I have #150/50 combo on mine...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 04/17/13 at 08:16:31

Thanks Serow,

I put in a 52.5 jet and now im running 2.0 turns out and it was quite sluggish from the low end to the midrange.

It kept losing power at second gear.

Anymore thoughts?

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/17/13 at 08:57:59

Coaxial wrote on 04/17/13 at 08:16:31:
Thanks Serow,

I put in a 52.5 jet and now im running 2.0 turns out and it was quite sluggish from the low end to the midrange.

It kept losing power at second gear.

Anymore thoughts?

My suggestion would be to reduce the size of the needle spacer a bit more.  The needlle has a big effect on the mixture from about 1/8th throttle to 3/4 throttle...the pilot jet has effect up to about 1/4 throttle, and the mixture screw almost no effect past 1/8th throttle.  I intentionally listed some overlap....as they do overlap a little bit in the transition areas.
Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 04/17/13 at 11:01:48

I'll try that tonight... one more thing i just noticed as i rode around. Sometimes theres misfire accelerating from zero. I just replaced the sparkplug with NGK iridium..

IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #5 - 04/17/13 at 16:44:05

Check your air filter, I run my bike @ 2 turns on the air screw... try re oiling the filter, but don't use too much oil.

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
smthbh
YaBB Newbies

Winston-Salem, NC
Reply #6 - 04/18/13 at 07:29:41

I have the same issue with my choke- when I put the choke on, the idle slows down. If you figure anything out, let me know!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/18/13 at 09:22:20

smthbh wrote on 04/18/13 at 07:29:41:
I have the same issue with my choke- when I put the choke on, the idle slows down. If you figure anything out, let me know!

It is pefecly normal for a bike with a warm engine to slow down or stall when you pull the choke out.  The choke adds an extra amount of fuel, and helps you start a cold bike.  Once the engine is warm and operating more efficiently....it does not need this extra fuel....and pulling the choke out will make the mixture too rich....and as a result the bike will slow down as the mixture is too rich for proper combustion.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
smthbh
YaBB Newbies

Winston-Salem, NC
Reply #8 - 04/18/13 at 09:33:58

Dave wrote on 04/18/13 at 09:22:20:
smthbh wrote on 04/18/13 at 07:29:41:

It is pefecly normal for a bike with a warm engine to slow down or stall when you pull the choke out.  The choke adds an extra amount of fuel, and helps you start a cold bike.  Once the engine is warm and operating more efficiently....it does not need this extra fuel....and pulling the choke out will make the mixture too rich....and as a result the bike will slow down as the mixture is too rich for proper combustion.

Thanks, that's good to know. It does the same thing when the bike is cold, is that normal also?

On all the bikes I've had before, putting on the choke has sped up the idle speed, so this surprised me.

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - 04/18/13 at 09:40:33

Hey guys,

some troubling events today for me.

1. I checked the air filter and it is clear. Smell of gas is prevalent on it.

2. On the highway doing about 120kph in 5th gear, the bike sputtered and struggled but did not shut off (had to pull over to the shoulder). Keeping in mind I do have the Raptor petcock.

3. After the power struggle there my low-mid torque issue was solved?! It is not struggling anymore. I would celebrate but I fear something has gone wrong to provide the fix?

4. I noticed my mies per gallon has decreased quite a bit lately.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 04/18/13 at 13:18:06

Don't know unless a jet was partially blocked and un blocked its self.

I have been tuning on mine today. I have a 147.5 main, 55 pilot and raised the needle .030. I was running the fuel screw out 1 & 3/4 turns.

I have had to completely close the chock after about 30 seconds after starting the engine. I tried turning the screw all the way in and the rpms dropped some but the engine still ran so I put the 52.5 pilot back in with the screw turned out 2.5 turns. Took it down the road and it ran OK. Roll on was good. Running at 40 with very little throttle was good. Revving up the throttle it returned to idle right away. I guess I have been a little rich with the 55 pilot.

The last time I tried the 52.5 pilot I had a surge at partial throttle and it took a while to warm up. It was colder then and I had different gas in it.

I would have rode more but the wind is blowing like crazy so I put it up. I am going to try this for a while. I don't really want to take the top of of the carb again to raise the needle a little more. maybe I won't have to.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 04/18/13 at 13:38:01

apache snow-FSO wrote on 04/18/13 at 13:18:06:
Don't know unless a jet was partially blocked and un blocked its self.

I have been tuning on mine today. I have a 147.5 main, 55 pilot and raised the needle .030. I was running the fuel screw out 1 & 3/4 turns.

I have had to completely close the chock after about 30 seconds after starting the engine. I tried turning the screw all the way in and the rpms dropped some but the engine still ran so I put the 52.5 pilot back in with the screw turned out 2.5 turns. Took it down the road and it ran OK. Roll on was good. Running at 40 with very little throttle was good. Revving up the throttle it returned to idle right away. I guess I have been a little rich with the 55 pilot.

The last time I tried the 52.5 pilot I had a surge at partial throttle and it took a while to warm up. It was colder then and I had different gas in it.

I would have rode more but the wind is blowing like crazy so I put it up. I am going to try this for a while. I don't really want to take the top of of the carb again to raise the needle a little more. maybe I won't have to.

Unless your in the Smokies area I'm pretty sure your still gonna be lean with the 147.5 main jet.  That is the stock size main and they are all lean from the factory with that jet unless you live over 3000 ASL

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 04/18/13 at 13:39:48

No stock size was 145. Thats what I took out. I have tried a 150 but settled in on the 147.5. I am at around 500 feet above sea level.

Not sure the Feds care as much about leaning out the main as much as they do the idle circuit. thats where they measure emissions

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 04/18/13 at 13:44:29

apache snow-FSO wrote on 04/18/13 at 13:39:48:
No stock size was 145. Thats what I took out. I have tried a 150 but settled in on the 147.5. I am at around 500 feet above sea level.

Not sure the Feds care as much about leaning out the main as much as they do the idle circuit. thats where they measure emissions

That's right,  I knew it was a 14? something.  LOL  my bad.  I'm guessing your still pretty stock then if you only had togo upto the 147.5

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #14 - 04/18/13 at 13:46:11

I have a stock muffler and a drop in K&N air filter. I'm not sure that the filter makes that much difference in the stock housing.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:28:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tuning assisstance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.