Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BadA$$ Intake (Read 177 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
BadA$$ Intake
04/15/13 at 07:04:45

I know this isn't directly related to the LS650.  But I thought I'd show it anyhow.

Here's the new intake that I designed for my Mean Streak.  Members on the Mean Streak forum gave it it's name.  I used a lot of what I learned about tuning the LS650 intake in designing this.  Performance was the primary objective.  Notice in the bottom pic how the intake tracts have been lengthened.  

Tell everyone that if they want to learn how to tune an intake and exhust to get a LS650.  

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Re: BadA$$ Intake
Reply #1 - 04/15/13 at 09:26:29

I unfortunately can't help you with adjusting the carburetor with the air filter... but it is on the site of the manufacturer I would have changed the design of the filter so that with the air damper skull "squinting" .  Smiley
I think it looked very unusual and generally cool!

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/15/13 at 09:31:13

"Primarily" for performance... but, that huge hunk of billet looks wicked beefy...
Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/15/13 at 10:18:33

I never really understood the attraction to skulls & bones & all that "Bad Boy" stuff. For a while, I did allow myself to be swayed by the overwhelming number of people who said it was "Cool" & learned to appreciate it, but never wanted any of it for myself. But now, Im back to where I was initially, but now, not only do I just not dig it, its been "cool" for so long, its just about run its course, at least, I hope it has.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 04/15/13 at 10:23:58

I'm with ya' on that, JOG...
I always feel like I'm inviting bad ju-ju... by putting any skulls or flames on a bike... (bones or flames are not something I want to think about on a bike)...
... but,... this one does look nice...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #5 - 04/15/13 at 10:39:13

How do you feel about aliens? Roll Eyes

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/15/13 at 10:43:01

Ohh, thats it, put some alien lookin face in there,, make fun of the Extra Terrestrials, let us know if you ever cant account for a coupla hours of your life & your butt is sore,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #7 - 04/15/13 at 10:52:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/15/13 at 10:43:01:
Ohh, thats it, put some alien lookin face in there,, make fun of the Extra Terrestrials, let us know if you ever cant account for a coupla hours of your life & your butt is sore,,

I own 2 motorcycles. I don't need E.T. to lose several hours & have a sore butt. Course with the recent upgrades to my seats the sore butt is almost a thing of the past. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #8 - 04/15/13 at 11:04:58

I just need to fix your message.. it looks like the air filter with a fully open ,

and so-in the closed

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 04/15/13 at 11:22:35

Did you do your own CAD?

I think its cool and good looking, and it looks like a lot of detail went into the design for performance as well as looks.

I really want to learn CAD.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 04/15/13 at 11:27:00

Pine wrote on 04/15/13 at 11:22:35:
Did you do your own CAD?

I think its cool and good looking, and it looks like a lot of detail went into the design for performance as well as looks.

I've learned some basic 3d cad, but I still can't for the life of me get the wire mesh stuff down for creating complex stuff for contours and such. for doing stuff like body panels and stuff like that, or making things like he did above.  Now I can do a 3d CAD of a building with all the wiring and piping but that's about it. When it comes to vehicles and such I'm at a loss because I can't figure out how to do the wire mess stuff that is needed for doing alot of it.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #11 - 04/15/13 at 11:59:23

Serowbot wrote on 04/15/13 at 09:31:13:
"Primarily" for performance... but, that huge hunk of billet looks wicked beefy...
Smiley...

Yeah, I wanted it to look solid and beefy.  Something sleek and elegant would not look right on a Mean Streak.  

Now, if you don't care about reading technical stuff then read no further.  You will get bored.  

Regarding performance- the skull and crossbones design worked out great because I wanted the cover bolts to be on the outside to minimize structures inside the filter.  I couldn't do the usual 5 external bolt custom setup because I think it only looks right when a bolt is centered on top (12 o'clock) and I didn't have the tank clearance for that.  I've never really been into or done the skull thing on any kind of vehicle before, but it lent itself well to what I was trying to accomplish on the performance side which was to improve low end and midrange.

The longer intake tracts provide 20% more air per side.  This is air that doesn't have to be pulled into the intake tracts (less resistance, less energy used in moving the air from a turbulent parallel plane thru a perpendicular orifice).  This is also air that can be directly affected by intake flow momentum and can be influenced by positive intake waves that rebound off the back of the cover.  My motor redlines at 6K.  Honestly I never go past 5200 rpm.  This design works for this particular application and the way I ride.  Do the same setup to a motor that redlines at 12k and the elongated intake length will begin to actually increase resistance to airflow.  For 40mm throttle bodies like mine with my increased intake length, it would start to negatively affect flow around 5500-6000 rpm and cause progressively more resistance as rpms increased from there.   At those higher rpms, cylinder filling would benefit from a much shorter intake.  Considering that, this setup doesn’t increase top end horsepower (max rpm) but instead improves torque in the low to midrange rpms where I spend nearly all of my time at.  

The dyno torque peaked at 95 ft lbs.  But that’s not what’s important to me. It’s where it is and for how long that is important to me.  I now have over 90 ft lbs of torque available from 2600 rpm to 4000 rpm where, except for take-offs, I spend my riding time.  At 5250 rpm, which is the hardest I have ever pushed this motor, I am down to what a stock Mean Streak does for peak torque.  So to me it is all useable power on tap, not just what it can do at redline.  I have tuned the intake to maximize power at the rpm range where I ride at the expense of power at the motor could make in the rpm range that I don’t ride.  You can see evidence of this top end restriction on my dyno chart.   http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o794/Russell_Rodgers/image_zpsf5b69d2b.jpg

The design also highlights what Paul, my buddy who owns the CNC shop, can do. He has an interest in expanding from just industrial products and into custom motorcycle parts. I certainly have never been a big skull fan but form followed function in this case, rather than the other way around.  And everyone out there seems to have a boring single centered bolt cover with simple, repeating geometric shapes (swirl pattern, triangles, cross, etc.).  

Pine wrote on 04/15/13 at 11:22:35:
Did you do your own CAD?

I'm learning.  For most of this project it was me making prototypes out of various material and a lot of explaining to Paul.  A lot of it was me saying, "That may indeed work but for performance it has got to be just like this (size, shape, contour, etc.)!

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 04/15/13 at 10:39:13:

That is sweet.  Very unique.  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 04/15/13 at 12:24:08

What is all this talk about having ExtraTesticals on your bike?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #13 - 04/15/13 at 14:40:25

Dave wrote on 04/15/13 at 12:24:08:

Grin

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #14 - 04/15/13 at 19:23:54

Dave wrote on 04/15/13 at 12:24:08:

I keep my BRASS ones in a pouch that hangs on the handlebar riser Wink

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:24:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › BadA$$ Intake

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.