Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Backfire theory...
04/14/13 at 23:36:04

Actually,... after-fire theory,.. (most often referred to as "backfire")...
A real "backfire",... goes backwards... blowing up through the carb...  (this is most often caused by a valve/spark timing issue)...
What we refer to as backfire, (the gunshot out the tailpipe),.. is correctly called an after-fire...

This is caused by a hot pipe, igniting unspent fuel in the exhaust...
Why does it happen?...
1.  you have unspent fuel in the pipe... (this could be too rich... or too lean... either will cause inefficient burning in the cylinder... one, will leave the cylinder with not enough fuel to give complete combustion, and the other will have too much)...
2.  the hottest engine, is the one with the best combustion.... and that will expel heat into the pipe that can reach combustive levels... but, it shouldn't cause a big one,... because there shouldn't be that much fuel in there...
3.  an air leak... in the exhaust pipe will introduce fresh oxygen into the pipe, and this will make a nice secondary combustion chamber...

What are some clues?...
a. if it's mostly upon shutdown... there must be unspent fuel in there... a "poof" could just be the final cycle of the engine after the ignition is shut off... That would be normal...
A huge "Kappowww!" at shut-off should indicate rich... (there's too much fuel in there)....
b. if it's more upon decel and downshifts,... but not so much on shutdown,... I'd guess lean...(a lack oxygen in the combustion chamber is causing inefficient burning in the chamber and when you close the the throttle there is a momentary richness, caused by the throttle plate blocking air before the fuel flow is reduced, causing a boom in the pipe on throttle chops)...
c. all the time... (yer' so screwed)... jest kiddin'...
You are probably rich,...the gunshot afterfire is still indicating an excess unspent fuel...

Basically,.. what I'm proposing, is that judging rich or lean, by your pipe is not a good way to go...
It's very popular... but, often wrong...
Rich, or lean, can cause popping, afterfire, and blueing...
...and, when your engine is working best, it is burning hottest... (at least in the combustion chamber)...

The best indicator of your engine's tuning/jetting is the environment...

If popping/afterfire increases in...
thinner air
hotter  air
more humidity
higher altitude
...  go leaner...

...if popping/afterfire increases in...
thicker air
cooler air
less humid
lower altitude
... go richer...

If your bike is generally disturbed more when the weather/or conditions are unusual in either direction,... then it stands to reason, that it is jetted for best performance in normal conditions,... and this is where you want it...

... and, if you live in Florida... where it's hot, humid and flat...all the time... yer' jest so screwed...
I guess you just gotta' change jetting, up and down to alter the mix conditions, because nothing else ever changes...
Grin Grin Grin...
Same rules apply though... you'll just have to alter your engine conditions, rather than observe the environment...

... and... I'm probably wrong here somewhere... but, it's my theory... and it's roughly based on science... and I'm sticking to it...
Huh...

So,.. take advantage of the next muggy, or humid,.. or hot or cold, or mountain or valley ride,.. and observe your bike's behavior...
If popping, and backfire/afterfire increase, that's a good sign...
You tune your bike for what is usual... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Backfire theory...
Reply #1 - 04/15/13 at 04:45:51

Serow.....Good anaylysis.  I have had the opinion for a long time tnat jetting with the goal of eliminating the backfiire is wrong, as it may have a negative impact on the power and economy of the engine.  The goal of jetting should be to get the best running engine you can - then maybe tweak it a bit to help reduce backfires......which may not be possible.

I installed an O2 sensor on my bike and was surprised to learn that the exhaust shows a lean condition when the throttle setting is closed and you are coasting.  I guess what is happening is the high vacuum can pull air past the butterfly and slide - but the fuel delivery is mostly shut down.  That would explain why the TEV (Throttle Enrichment Valve) is supposed to add fuel when the throttle is closed.

By opening the idle air screw and increaseing the size of the pilot jet you may be able to get some additional fuel into the engine when you are coasting or have just let of the throttle - but the downside of that is the engine may be running rich at idle and low throttle settings.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/15/13 at 07:28:47

S'bot, I've always found the biggest bang on shut down was when the idle mixture was set at optimum.  And all it takes to get rid of it is an 1/8 to 1/4 turn richer.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 04/15/13 at 07:57:09

I just got the bike kinda ready for summer here in Denver. I cleaned/reoiled my K&N drop in filetr, changed the oil, aligned my belt AND removed the snorkle....
After de-snokling it I rode around for a little bit...weird but everytime I shut down there was no poof, pop, kepow...whereas previously it was always there.
I noticed that my 1st to 2nd shift had a definate pop that I don't remember but I plan to mess with my airmix a bit to see if that can be eliminated.
Anyone else have afterfire disappear after removing the snorkle?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 04/15/13 at 18:35:01

Bubba wrote on 04/15/13 at 07:57:09:
...Anyone else have afterfire disappear after removing the snorkle?

Snorkle?   Questioning

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 04/15/13 at 19:01:33

oh yah, probably should 'splain myself..
What I refer to is the rubber piece that fit's over the airbox intake under the seat...on mine it has a lip that takes up room as well as a split piece of rubber that runs vertically down the middle of it...

Just seems like it is there to direct flow in the airbox but it just reduces flow i think????
maybe I'm wrong.... Undecided

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
markbacon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New Zealand
Reply #6 - 04/15/13 at 20:02:58

Vacuum at the jet is produced by air movement, in either direction, past the orifice in the carb throat. The orifice for the idle jet (which is what you tune with the air screw) is located right where the edge of the butterfly rests when closed. Because of valve overlap, etc, when the engine's at idle air is pulsing back and forth past the edge of the butterfly. So the idle jet sees more than one suck for each intake and hence is tuned lean to deliver a correct mixture.

On the overrun the butterfly's closed but higher revs smooth out pulsing in the carb: the idle jet's now seeing only one suck per intake and is delivering a lean mixture. When a couple of other variables line up, particularly revs dropping past a critical point, this produces banging and crackling as unburnt fuel ignites in the exhaust.

The "temporary enrichment" valve on the side of the carb is supposed to address this - it gets sucked open by high vacuum on the engine side of the carb, opening another circuit to the low speed jet. Cleaning this out can help.

Going one size up on the low speed jet reduces backfiring, so long as you've also ensured there are no leaks in the exhaust system for air to get in. Another step is to alter or replace the spring on the temporary enrichment valve diaphragm - a softer one means the valve stays open longer - but it sounds as if this has upset other aspects of the carburation.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/16/13 at 16:42:39

My bike always rewards the neighborhood with one big massive Ka-boom about half a second after I shut off the ignition.  The only exception is when I just run it a mile or two and it isn't up to full temperature.

So I took it out on a ride yesterday after tightening the manifold which was slightly loose.  I mostly wanted to test the new EBC brake pads I put in, they are wonderful compared to the OEM ones that were on it.  No noise from the brakes.  Anyway I got it good and hot but I let it idle down and got a bang but not a Ka-boom.  Next time I'll shut it off quickly and see if it was tightening the manifold down or letting it idle that made the improvement.

After that I'll try Verslagen's method and richen it up a bit to see if I can eliminate it altogether.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
B.J. and Jo

Colorado Springs, CO.
Reply #8 - 04/17/13 at 08:36:26

My wife had a 86 and 96 Savage and they had a heavy putt sometimes but our 09 sounds like a canon anytime you "decelerate" from 5th. to 4th. or 4th. to 3rd.!!! Shocked I'd be really HAPPY to get the backfire down to a less decible level for sure. It's bad when your riding a poker run with a bunch of "straight piped" Harley's and our supposedly to quite Japanese scoot get's the "Evil Eye"! Embarrassed

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 04/17/13 at 09:12:11

Have you messed around with the air mix screw at all?...that got rid of most of the backfire for me (well and jetting too).

Where I really notice it is on mountain descents...since we're at altitude the lean/rich conditions change pretty rapidly...you can control that somewhat with the air mix screw but I usually don't wanna stop and do that so i just snap/crackle/pop on the way down the backside of the passes...lol

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #10 - 04/17/13 at 11:29:12

Good explaination on it.  I just keep a little screwdriver with me and depending on the weather, I might have to adjust the carb screw a half turn either way to fix this problem for me.

IP Logged
B.J. and Jo

Colorado Springs, CO.
Reply #11 - 04/17/13 at 13:31:01

Bubba wrote on 04/17/13 at 09:12:11:
Have you messed around with the air mix screw at all?...that got rid of most of the backfire for me (well and jetting too).

Where I really notice it is on mountain descents...since we're at altitude the lean/rich conditions change pretty rapidly...you can control that somewhat with the air mix screw but I usually don't wanna stop and do that so i just snap/crackle/pop on the way down the backside of the passes...lol

No I haven't I'm pretty much "all thumbs", isn't that the screw that's "covered" by a metal plug from the factory?? I wouldn't care it it "poped" a bit on deceleration but it's just ONE very loud "BANG" and that's not good. According to the dealership service dept. it won't "hurt" the motor and their getting with the National Suzuki Service Rep as there's suppose to be a "factory service bulletin" fix to at least "tame" the backfire. We will see what they come up with.  Undecided

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 04/17/13 at 14:00:15

Yep, that's the one...it really isn't a big deal to remove the plug...just make sure ya read up on it and don't go all crazy, otherwise you'll mess up the screw head that lies under it.
After hearing the horror stories about the dealerships I wouldn't let them touch it...I'd just ask what the "fix" is and do it myself...

IP Logged
smthbh
YaBB Newbies

Winston-Salem, NC
Reply #13 - 04/18/13 at 09:00:02

I had a problem with after-firing on my savage too. After it got warmed up, if I shut the bike off there would be a two second delay and then BOOM! An enormous explosion from the pipe.

I adjusted the valves to see if that would fix it, and it still backfired the same as before.

After that, I lowered the idle speed (it sounded like it was idling too fast after it was warmed up) and adjusted the screw under the EPA plug to make it richer at idle, and it's completely fixed the problem! No backfire on turn off at all now!
I'm not sure whether it was the idle speed or the mixture screw that fixed it though, so I'm going to try adjusting the mixture screw back to default and see if the backfire comes back. If not, then it was just the idle speed.

IP Logged
Bitterswede
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/31/13 at 16:27:54

There is tons of discussion about the Savage backfire issue and I'd like to add my experience in case it might be helpful. Smiley

I have a 2001 Savage with low miles that has been reconstructed as a cafe racer (photo attached). It has a fairly free-flowing air filter and a very free exhaust but otherwise stock. The exhaust header is 1-5/8" ID, 31" long and flows into a 9" long glass-pack muffler which empties into a 3" dia turn-out. ID in the glass-pack is about 1-1/4". This bike is fairly loud and now revs way more freely under WFO than when stock. So I'm pretty happy with the main jet.

I reside in Phoenix which is about 1200 ft elevation. In reading all the guides on jetting, I started with a 155 main, 52.5 pilot and cut the thickness of the white spacer on the needle by half. But the bike would backfire on almost every shift from first through third and anytime if you chopped the throttle. Two ways I found to stop the backfire were to roll off the throttle slowly or to be on the gas hard between shifts. The slow roll-off is cumbersome, counter-intuitive, and just BS and you can't always be on the gas, like in heavy traffic. So POW. POW, POW. Some guys like the backfire, I do not.

Ryca uses a 55 pilot at sea level, so I though I'd try that and also bought a 57.5 pilot. Started making one change at a time; the 55 almost immediately stopped the backfiring. After a good warm-up and pilot screw adjustment, it was still popping from time to time, so I installed the 57.5, readjusted the pilot screw and took a long ride.

With the 57.5 pilot it backfired just as badly as the 52.5 and now it would stall after down shifting to a stop light, perhaps TOO RICH now. Overall, worse than the 52.5 pilot by far.

I did some more reading, one thread suggested throwing out the white washer but that opinion was contested pretty heavily and to my thinking, when you chop the throttle, you're almost instantly back to the idle circuit anyway, so I re-installed the 55 pilot, rechecked the exhaust for leaks, warmed up the bike, and re-set the pilot screw.

But this time I turned the pilot screw out till the idle began to stumble and then just turned it back in until it picked up and smoothed out. Only about 1/2 turn in and presto, almost no back fire at all.

I've taken a couple of 10-mile rides and made sure the bike was completely warm, (it was 107-deg ambient), and it is now very hard to get a back fire. Only did it once in 20-miles. Now when I shift and/or chop the throttle, no pops, no back fire, just the same kind of sound I get on my XR200 between shifts, a sweet little rumble.

So, my observations seem to support the conversations you can find here and elsewhere that the back fire is the ignition of unburned fuel in the exhaust which may happen if the mixture is too lean OR too rich. This seems to be my experience.  My conclusion is that you can stop the backfire but that it is a very sensitive issue; get the pilot jet and pilot screw adjustment JUUUUUST RIGHT, and you're cool.

I thought that Lancer's notion of going up on the pilot jet when you screw out the air screw more than 2-turns was a good idea and a good guide for sizing the pilot jet. It really seemed to help me.

Anyway, now the bike is a sweet ride, sounds like a thumper should, with a good rumble between shifts or when you chop the throttle. I'm not an expert tuner but I've been wrenching on bikes for about 5 decades and I have to say, this was a head-scratcher. I can't guarantee that my experience will dictate yours but my hope is that it may help someone out there.

My recommendation is use Lancer's logic on the pilot jet selection and then turn the pilot screw out till the idle stumbles and just back in till it picks back up. Try that. God knows it won't work for some one but it worked for me and it may be worth a try.

Best of luck.

Bitterswede.

2013-07-19_14_11_23.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 10:59:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfire theory...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.