Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rode my buddy's HD back to his house (Read 428 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Rode my buddy's HD back to his house
04/14/13 at 10:11:54

A friend and I were out for a leisurely ride last weekend when something happened and he dumped his bike at an intersection. He thinks he hit the front brake too hard while turning and went over. The bike landed on his ankle. He has a small crack and bad sprain. We got his bike back to my house where it sat for a week. I rode it back to his house yesterday. It is a 2002 1200 Sportster. The only mod he has aside from exhaust/air filter is a set of Burley slammers on the rear. The trip is about 35 miles. Compared to my LS650, it is a completely different ride. I like the seat, additional power and loved the brakes, especially the rear, but overall, I prefer the way my bike rides and handles. It was a real eyeopener for me.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Rode my buddy's HD back to his house
Reply #1 - 04/14/13 at 12:18:21

Like switching from a Quarterhorse to a Texas Longhorn...  Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/15/13 at 07:36:31

Yea, the HD has MOre power, but, is it needed power? Not to me..
And, its heavier, & I just dont want a bike that starts wanting to lay down at the few degrees from vertical a heavy bike wants to lay on down at.
The 650 has all the grunt I need.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 04/16/13 at 05:02:41

The only sportster I've ridden was my buddies 79' 1000cc iron lung, it was fast and heavy but not unpleasant to ride. He made the mistake of trying to make it look like a full sized Harley, it felt so awkward and top heavy with a 5 gallon tank I only rode it once after that and never wanted to again.    Shocked

I really like the looks of sportsters, but I think an 883 would be the only one I'd want to ride, otherwise why not just go full sized   Huh

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/16/13 at 10:09:51

Still buildin..

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 04/16/13 at 10:22:15

I like to rag on Harley's... because they have become the butt-jewelry of the accountant class,.. and their dealerships have become boutiques...
... but,... if I weren't on my Savage, an 883 Sportster would be on my short list... (I like simple, and air-cooled)...

One thing I would never wear on a Harley,... is a black t-shirt...
In fact,... I don't get black t-shirts...  a t-shirt is for hot days, and black sucks in the sun...  
That's gotta' be the least practical piece of clothing a person can buy... Huh...
Maybe, I'll rag on black T's instead of Harleys from now on... Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/16/13 at 10:33:04

you havta were black shirts when riding HD's so you have a place to wipe your hands before you go into the bar.

WWW   IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/16/13 at 10:42:13

As my Bud says, "Harley Davidson, making mechanics out of riders, one bike at a time."   ...............

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 04/16/13 at 10:51:01

I've always liked Harleys. Rode them for years. Now they are too big and heavy or I am too old and weak.

I would like a Sportster but the S40 works out better at this stage of the game.

Yeah I have a couple of black T-shirts but I don't wear them. You got to remember Serow that there places that don't get as hot as being on the sun unlike Arizona Shocked

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #9 - 04/16/13 at 11:16:33

Serowbot wrote on 04/16/13 at 10:22:15:
I like to rag on Harley's... because they have become the butt-jewelry of the accountant class,.. and their dealerships have become boutiques...
... but,... if I weren't on my Savage, an 883 Sportster would be on my short list... (I like simple, and air-cooled)...

In fact,... I don't get black t-shirts...  a t-shirt is for hot days, and black sucks in the sun...  
That's gotta' be the least practical piece of clothing a person can buy... Huh...
Maybe, I'll rag on black T's instead of Harleys from now on... Grin Grin Grin...

Me too!  And the group rides with a t-shirt, and always black.  I would kill for a white one!

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 04/16/13 at 12:35:18

I have to admit, I've always loved HDs and still do. One day I hope to add a Road King to the stable for touring and two-up, but I have to laugh at your comment, because I am an accountant that rides an S-40  Grin

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #11 - 04/16/13 at 18:54:47

"I like simple,and air-cooled"

Exactly why my next scooter(beyond the Savage family) will be a Triumph Speedmaster.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #12 - 04/16/13 at 18:57:57

verslagen1 wrote on 04/16/13 at 10:33:04:
you havta were black shirts when riding HD's so you have a place to wipe your hands before you go into the bar.

Back in the day that was the way it was. Between all the leaks,breakdowns and the "chain oil stripe" up yer back.........basic black was the word. With the advent of cell phones ya just call for a trailer Grin

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 04/16/13 at 22:29:26

Greg

I had a 1200 (2004 rubber mounted motor) sportster for a couple years.   Same time as having a Savage.  The Savage got rode more and when it was time for one of them to go .... GoodBy Harley !      I ride the Savage/S40's with the best of em'  , but still couldn't make the 1200 sportster run off and leave OldFeller and Lancer on S40's (running the BlueRidge type ridding).

That Sportster would cruse the interstate while leaving a grin on my face  but  I think I'd get the 883 instead of the 1200 next time.    Come to find out the sportsters's crankshafts are made out of case-hardened mild steel and the 883 might hold up better,   being the main difference in them is the primary gear and stroke length.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 04/17/13 at 16:09:37

Black shirts hide grease and blood better. I have a couple gray t's but I never wear them.
Black mechanic's shirt over a black t most of the time. Unless it is really cold, then it is a black jacket, over a black mechanics shirt, over a black t shirt.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:23:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rode my buddy's HD back to his house

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.