Cordless Soldering Iron (Read 93 times)
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Cordless Soldering Iron
04/13/13 at 21:34:51

Can anyone recommend a good quality cordless soldering iron. I don't mind if it's fuel powered or not, it just needs to be a quality iron that can easily do up to 10 ga. wire.

It's a hassle for me to get my soldering station out and into some places on the bike and also my cage when I need to do some wiring jobs.  I would much rather have a cordless unit to do this with.  Plus most fuel powered ones I've seen come with a shield for heat shrinking as well, which will be good for the heat shrink I always put on my solder jobs.

I've bought a few in the past from places like Radio Shack and some of the home improvement stores but they were junk.

So any advise here would be great.

Thanks in advance

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Cordless Soldering Iron
Reply #1 - 04/13/13 at 21:45:06

I got fed-up with the electric ones long ago and started using the propane refillable type.   They are everywhere  ,  I got  a two pack of them at a tool disposal sale years ago and still using on the first one.   If it sits for a week between uses then it needs refilliing to work again but one of the refill cans last for years around my shop ( 15years and on my third can).   I have started to get one of the more expensive ones from Lowes but haven't come-off the money yet ... the cheep ones work too good ! Cheesy

Pin-Torch    about 1/2" dia. x 5" long  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 04/13/13 at 22:52:22

Ditto, cheap crap import from the dollar tool bin at the big box auto parts store. Same torch since 1996.

If I need to do bigger, like 00 battery cables (have a 6v + ground truck) a regular Bernzomatic torch with a fine tip works satisfactorily.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 04/14/13 at 10:01:32

Thanks for the info guys,  I'll give em another shot then. I guess the one I got about 8 years ago was just a dud.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/15/13 at 07:58:22

LOwes, about $10.00, butane, refillable. Black, about cigar size. Takes a while for the tip to heat up & the "Thermal Shock" game wont play on a gas heated torch,but, youll stick the tip in the flux anyway.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 04/15/13 at 09:38:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/15/13 at 07:58:22:
LOwes, about $10.00, butane, refillable. Black, about cigar size. Takes a while for the tip to heat up & the "Thermal Shock" game wont play on a gas heated torch,but, youll stick the tip in the flux anyway.

Thanks JOG will give that one a try.

R.F.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/15/13 at 10:05:24

BUy something other than the cheapest butane.
If you decide you need something with more bells & whistles you can always build up a collection of soldering tools.
I have an old Weller solder gun,( its 36 years old)w/ pistol grip, 2 stage heat, a 30 watt solder pen, the Lowes butane jobbie And, recently I popped for $30.00 for a torch that has a flat bottom, a "Hold the flame On" button & the solder tip comes out so it can be used as a small heat gun on heat shrink, or just pull that whole assembly off & just have a fire pokin out. I use the LOwes tool w/o the soldering tip sometimes. Just get everything ready, lite it off & solder with the flame tip.,but keep the flux to a minimum, cuz it catches on Faaahhrr.. & of course the insulation suffers a bit,, just depends on the job & location how I go about it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 04/15/13 at 10:18:19

Most of my current soldering stuff is station based, which is a hassle to use on any type of vehicle when doing wiring jobs.  I need to get a few more just Irons and maybe a gun as well.  I just thought for now one of those butane type ones would fit the bill for awhile till I decide on which weller iron I wanted to get for use on vehicle wiring jobs.

When it comes to the big cables like 8ga and up I normally use a small tip on my Oxy/Act setup to solder the connectors on, and for splicing I just use a copper splice to solder them together.

R.F.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 04/15/13 at 10:18:26

I just use cheapie dollar store irons...
... and if you look at my solder joints... you can tell... Grin...

I would invest in one of the butane jobbies,.. but, I can never fill them correctly.... I can't even fill a butane lighter right...
I don't get it... you have all those little plastic fill-nozzle adapters, and I can't ever tell which one is right...

PS... I have used a butane refill to freeze off a finger wart... so, it's not a total loss...
Huh...

If anyone can give me some tips on how to successfully fill butane... I'd appreciate it...
Pics would help... I'm 'tane tarded... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 04/15/13 at 10:22:26

I fill the Lowes one w/o any tip on the can, just the metal end, poke it down on the filler & ( YOU may wanna wear a glove unless you have other warts in need of attention) let it fly. Do it outside, youll know when its full,, the little cloud of butane changes. Its okay to lose a little, the stuff fairly cheap & you can get a LOad of solder melted before ya hafta refill it.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 04/15/13 at 10:25:04

Serowbot wrote on 04/15/13 at 10:18:26:
I just use cheapie dollar store irons...
... and if you look at my solder joints... you can tell... Grin...

I would invest in one of the butane jobbies,.. but, I can never fill them correctly.... I can't even fill a butane lighter right...
I don't get it... you have all those little plastic fill-nozzle adapters, and I can't ever tell which one is right...

PS... I have used a butane refill to freeze off a finger wart... so, it's not a total loss...
Huh...

If anyone can give me some tips on how to successfully fill butane... I'd appreciate it...
Pics would help... I'm 'tane tarded... Huh...

A good way to figure out which tip you need is to take the tip before your butane device is empty and hold the device upside down so that the fill port is facing up, and then press the tip down on to the fill port.  If you get a pressure release then that's the tip you need,  if you don't get a good pressure release or not release at all, then it's the wrong tip.

When filling you should be able to hear it releasing the butane into the device. I makes kind of a hissing noise while it's filling.  Once the noise stops the device is full. Also make sure your pressing it straight down onto the fill port.

R.F.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 04/15/13 at 10:29:53

Would you just LOOK at what this guy said?

How Dare you??

A good way to figure out which tip you need is to take the tip before your butane device is empty and hold the device upside down so that the fill port is facing up, and then press the tip down on to the fill port.  If you get a pressure release then that's the tip you need,  if you don't get a good pressure release or not release at all, then it's the wrong tip.

before your butane device is empty

BEFORE its Empty? Someone is sposed to look at something BEFORE it actually Must be done? Thats just Ridiculousness,,

THats a danged good idea,
Dont forget to mark the tip you need with a clue as to which device it fits.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #12 - 04/15/13 at 10:34:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/15/13 at 10:29:53:
Would you just LOOK at what this guy said?

How Dare you??

before your butane device is empty

BEFORE its Empty? Someone is sposed to look at something BEFORE it actually Must be done? Thats just Ridiculousness,,

THats a danged good idea,
Dont forget to mark the tip you need with a clue as to which device it fits.

At one point I had so many different butane devices I had to learn the hard way.  I love my little butane torch I had for the longest time till someone stole it.  I twas one of those that was the size of the big aspirin bottles where the flame went to the side and it had self ignition on it.  It was great for doing battery cable connections and stuff like that.

I also had alot of those refillable butane lighters that were the jet flame type that were supposed to be better in wind then a zippo but they weren't.

R.F.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 04/15/13 at 10:37:49

It was great for doing battery cable connections and stuff like that.

Not anywhere Near a lead/acid battery I trust...

Ive seen 2 explode, one was a long & heavy car battery, the other was in the 40. Unpleasant both times, but no one injured.Those batteries go off like a gun.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #14 - 04/15/13 at 10:47:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/15/13 at 10:37:49:
It was great for doing battery cable connections and stuff like that.

Not anywhere Near a lead/acid battery I trust...

Ive seen 2 explode, one was a long & heavy car battery, the other was in the 40. Unpleasant both times, but no one injured.Those batteries go off like a gun.

Absolutely not,  I did the cables away from the batteries then let them cool before I put them on. I'm not that dense  Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:31:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cordless Soldering Iron

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.