SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Changing gear ratio
Reply #15 - 04/13/13 at 23:01:40

WD wrote on 04/13/13 at 22:18:32:
rfw2003 wrote on 04/13/13 at 20:25:40:
Dave wrote on 04/13/13 at 18:42:51:
You can also use a Kawasaki EN 25 tooth front pulley (stock is 23).  The hub needs to be cut narrower and it is really hard material.  Acces to a machine shop with carbide cutting tools is necessary.  You also need to take a small amount of material off the outer cover and the support for the back screw needs to be trimmed.  I will post pictures tomorrow.

This is not a cheap fix unless you get a pulley cheap...new ones are over $ 80 and my machine shop friend said at a normal labor rate it would have been about $ 90 to trim the pulley.

That's something I might be able to do if the inside of the pulley is smooth enough to get it running true on the lathe.  But is it really worth while on only a 2 tooth increase?

R.F.

Probably not. A minor fuel savings, and a slight reduction in internal wear, resulting in a slight increase of engine component life and therefore bike life.

Anybody remember off hand who it was on Bert's forum that got almost 200K miles out of his Savage before it blew up?

Then it wouldn't be worth the time to do it for myself.  So I guess chain conversion it is, when I get the time.  I'm looking for a gear ratio of around what the 17/43 would give me.  I spend alot of time at 70mph and if I have to hit the super slab when going to some of my Dr. appts the speed limit is 75mph so I definitely gotta get the revs down abit to keep it from eating the oil especially during the summer months.  Depending on what someone offers  I might do the machining for them though, as I do have the carbide cutting tools for my lathe, and I also now have a 4 jaw independent chuck so I should be able to dial it in to run true if the inside of the pulley isn't quite smooth enough for cutting it down.  I would just need to know how much to take off is all.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:21:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changing gear ratio

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.