Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fuel leaking stalling out (Read 126 times)
savage98
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fuel leaking stalling out
04/13/13 at 11:54:29

6700 miles on a 98 ls650 been through the carb 5 times completely blowing out all passages replaced the needle value and when through the fuel peacock. still leaked fuel from air box over flow and stalled out when not applying throttle. when through carb again and put an aftermarket needle value with tougher spring  

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: fuel leaking stalling out
Reply #1 - 04/13/13 at 12:22:36

savage98 wrote on 04/13/13 at 11:54:29:
6700 miles on a 98 ls650 been through the carb 5 times completely blowing out all passages replaced the needle value and when through the fuel peacock. still leaked fuel from air box over flow and stalled out when not applying throttle. when through carb again and put an aftermarket needle value with tougher spring  

Sounds like your stock Vac sucker petcock is your issue man.  You need to do the full test as described in this link.  Do it step by step then report back to us.

Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime..

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
savage98
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/13/13 at 22:30:58

ive tested it didn't taste fuel and it still did it. i even put clear hose on vacuum line so i could watch it. it does it randomly it wont act up all the time.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/14/13 at 07:36:41

Given the number of problems the stock petcock has been known to cause & the cost of replacing it, wouldnt you think youd be ahead to just go ahead & swap it & eliminate a variable? I know I wish I had ditched mine a long time ago,, It was just inconsistent in how it ran,,now, it starts up easy & runs, every time, instead of sometimes crapping out when I give it gas..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Fipronil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/15/13 at 05:01:56

Sounds like you need to adjust the float cut-off valve.  Just need to bend the tab.  Good luck.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/15/13 at 08:05:22

Be careful bending that tab. Youll note that its just attached by melted plastic. Hold it with small pliers back in there, pinching the tab flat to the plastic body of the floats, then put a little bend in that tab.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 04/15/13 at 08:43:36

If yer' sure it ain't the pet...I'd suspect a dried out rubber tip on the float needle... No amount of cleaning will stop it...
Once the rubber tip is too dried out, you have to replace it...
(you can test it, by gently holding the floats up with a finger and blow into the fuel line... you should feel the air stop completely, and very easily)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 04/15/13 at 08:57:06

If thers any doubt, hold that needle up to a light & look at it, if theres any indentation where it sits in the seat, put a fresh one in there. Touch it, it should feel soft, the tip should bend some at the gentlest touch,

IP Logged
JRLeathercraft

I'm not a biker, I
just own one.

Reply #8 - 04/15/13 at 09:24:03

Replace the petcock. It's fairly easy task. Get the raptor replacement instead of a stock.

I did and my bike ran so much better. It sounded like it was missing or a bad plug and the petcock resolved all of it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 04/15/13 at 10:46:03

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/14/13 at 07:36:41:
Given the number of problems the stock petcock has been known to cause & the cost of replacing it, wouldnt you think youd be ahead to just go ahead & swap it & eliminate a variable? I know I wish I had ditched mine a long time ago,, It was just inconsistent in how it ran,,now, it starts up easy & runs, every time, instead of sometimes crapping out when I give it gas..

Add this to the other posts,, you MIte just avoid a trip into a carb &, Heres the Big And, the symptoms caused by that stock petcock as it gets flaky are numerous. IF its going bad youll solve the problem & save headaches. If its not, youll have eliminated a variable that makes troubleshooting hard,

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #10 - 04/15/13 at 11:25:56

Does the Raptor Petcock touch the frame like our stock ones do? Would I be able to raise tank slightly without petcock issues?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 04/15/13 at 11:28:37

paulmarshall wrote on 04/15/13 at 11:25:56:
Does the Raptor Petcock touch the frame like our stock ones do? Would I be able to raise tank slightly without petcock issues?

Nope it doesn't come anywhere near the frame.  It makes taking the tank off a breeze

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #12 - 04/15/13 at 11:35:51

Cool, Don't know why I have waited this long before getting one. I did convert my vacuum into a gravity feed and its worked fine til now. But now it has to go, as its impeding my cosmetic vision. Wink

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 04/15/13 at 11:42:33

paulmarshall wrote on 04/15/13 at 11:35:51:
Cool, Don't know why I have waited this long before getting one. I did convert my vacuum into a gravity feed and its worked fine til now. But now it has to go, as its impeding my cosmetic vision. Wink

That vac sucker was one of the first things to go when I bought my Savage,  I wanted manual control of my fuel shut off, plus the ease of tank removal was a big bonus.

R.F.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:18:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fuel leaking stalling out

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.