Send Topic Print
Short Windscreen... (Read 180 times)
CaramelQT

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RI
Short Windscreen...
04/12/13 at 12:31:40

Anyone know where I can purchase a shorter/smaller than stock windscreen?  Please and thank you Smiley

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Short Windscreen...
Reply #1 - 04/12/13 at 12:59:05

The really small/short windshields are often refered to as "flyscreens".
Go to any of the online accessory stores - Bike Bandit, MotoSport, Ron Ayers etc. and type "flyscreen"into their search box. You'll find a lot of them.

IP Logged
zieglarf
YaBB Newbies

Lovin my Suzi!

San Antonio, TX
Reply #2 - 04/12/13 at 15:13:43

I just got one off of ebay and it seems well worth it. I need to get it adjusted better but even so I can feel the difference.

'12 S40
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/12/13 at 15:29:58

If you got a stock and the only thing you don't like is the height, cut it down yourself.

WWW   IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #4 - 04/12/13 at 15:58:42

IP Logged
CaramelQT

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RI
Reply #5 - 04/12/13 at 16:50:05

verslagen1: I'm not good at cutting anything even, plus I'm limited in the tool department. I might lose a finger or hand trying to attempt that.  However that is a good idea, I have someone I can ask Smiley

Another question, is it a big difference with the small flyscreen and without one at all?

Paul: That's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks guys, you're awesome.

You see, I am going to turn my bike into a Bobber, but I still want a screen, just not the bigger stock one.  

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #6 - 04/12/13 at 17:14:54

I have been thinking about one for my bike. I want to move my Viper speedo and mount it in the fairing, as the Digital speedo doesnt like direct sunlight. Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 04/12/13 at 18:56:24

It will redirect just enough wind to keep you upright in the seat w/o as much struggling. You do need to match a shield or bikini fairing with correct height handlebars though, too tall of a bar will negate any benefit from the shield. And if you run tall apehangers, not only does the shield look goofy, it becomes a wall you have to shove through the air, cutting your fuel economy in half. It does take the strain off your armpits though...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 04/12/13 at 19:35:44

CaramelQT wrote on 04/12/13 at 16:50:05:
...Another question, is it a big difference with the small flyscreen and without one at all?...

Verslagen and I both rode with a FlyScreen.  Not for show.  The FlyScreen reduces the wind force on the body, about sternum high.  You get wind in the face and you need a visor or goggles.

Notice:  we both have/had fork braces.

WWW   IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #9 - 04/12/13 at 19:42:12

What you guys reckon on this then?
Apologie for the HD. Embarrassed

handlebars-post.jpg
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 04/12/13 at 20:04:22

It's a Dyna, you won't be able to tell the difference versus stock anyway...  Roll Eyes  Wink  Grin

That's rather ridiculous, broomstick bars are for low risers and 1/4 mile tracks, not the street.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #11 - 04/13/13 at 06:27:28

I had a Nat Cycle Flyscreen on both of my LS650s ... it performed exactly as previous posts point out ... I thought it suited the minimalist nature of the Bike perfectly and should be the perfect choice for a Savage/S40 Bobber or Cafe project.

said Flyscreen will soon be transplanted to my VT750DC ...

2 thumbs up for the National Cycle Fyscreen! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #12 - 04/13/13 at 08:30:51

QT,
Cutting down a windscreen is not difficult. I recently cut 3" off a 21" Memphis Fats on a C50 and followed these directions. The only variation I did was to clamp wood blocks across the cut line after I got about 75% through with the cut to control the vibration.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV0KZsxyz90

The National Flyscreens look very cool but I tried one on my S40 and there was just too much wind on my shoulders and helmet buffeting for my taste at highway speeds.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - 04/15/13 at 08:21:49

flyscreen on mine...helps somewhat to keep the wind off your chest...one big difference i noticed is that i now don't get smacked in the middle of my facesheild with bugs...unless they are really big ones... Grin

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 04/15/13 at 09:29:56

Anybody can cut a screen down. Get some poster board & pencil & string & lay out the shape you want. A pin thru the poster into a flat piece of wood, tied to a pencil = ability to draw a radius. PIns equally spaced on each outer third higher than the central pin equals a tighter radius at the upper edges. Tape the desired design on & cut far enough from the line so you can finish & radius the edge.  
Keep the plastic cool with a water spray so it doesnt heat weld itself back together if necessary. Do a test cut up high, away from the edge you really want, lay tape on it &practice. The "foot" of a jigsaw will scratch it up, so, study & experiment on the part you know you want to hack off before you try to make the cut that counts.
YOull be wanting someone there to help hold things, soft rags to protect your "good part", if you have clamps, youre way ahead. If you have a good, heavy saw horse & a coupla good clamps you could put rags on the saw horse & rags on the shield & lay it on the sawhorse with the part to cut off hanging off, lay a 2X4 on it & clamp that down tite to the sawhorse, pinching the shield tight. The paper outline should protect the shield from the jigsaw foot vibrating, some masking tape on that cant hurt.
Dont decide you "Cant",, if you decide you cant, youll be right,
If ya screw it up, youll learn a lot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:34:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › Short Windscreen...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.