Jump Start? (Read 270 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Jump Start?
Reply #15 - 04/13/13 at 02:18:15

Yes WD, I have points fired toys too, 1929 Whippet 96A four cylinder and a 1930 the same. It's possible my 5hp Briggs and Stratton has the same. Your job to convince the manufacturers to go back to points.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 04/13/13 at 07:21:51

I just don't buy anything late model. Haven't for years, unless it is a magneto fired small engine.

And I get a lot of flak on another forum because I'd like to replace my 69 D100's 318/727 auto with a 251 L6 (valve in block) and a 4 speed manual... NOT a fan of overhead valves.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
zieglarf
YaBB Newbies

Lovin my Suzi!

San Antonio, TX
Reply #17 - 04/13/13 at 11:45:35

Does anyone really use that park feature? Or is it there just for headaches when we turn the key the wrong direction?

'12 S40
WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #18 - 04/13/13 at 12:14:07

zieglarf wrote on 04/13/13 at 11:45:35:
Does anyone really use that park feature? Or is it there just for headaches when we turn the key the wrong direction?

I haven't had a reason to use it yet,  but it's there for a reason.  If you have to leave your bike on the side of the road at night you need to put it in the park position so that people can see it,  It's basically the motorcycle version of hazard lights.  Although I think it should be in a different position on the ignition switch like this,   Off/Park/Run  with definite positive detentes to let you know.  Or leave it as is, and make it where you have to push the key in to turn to park.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #19 - 04/13/13 at 12:28:10

My S40 has 4 way flashers plus the park position. I do not like the park position. I always double check to make sure I don't have it in that position.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #20 - 04/13/13 at 12:33:27

apache snow-FSO wrote on 04/13/13 at 12:28:10:
My S40 has 4 way flashers plus the park position. I do not like the park position. I always double check to make sure I don't have it in that position.

The LS650's didn't have the 4 ways on them, like the S40's do. So our only visibility feature is the park position on the switch when we have to leave the bike on the side of the road.

To be honest you just gotta learn  down (counter clockwise) to turn off, just like a cage.  If you do that you will never have the issue of leaving it in park position.  If you drive a cage it should be burned in by now which way to turn the ignition switch to turn a vehicle off.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #21 - 04/13/13 at 12:37:21

I do try to remember the down position but I don't call a car a cage. Never saw the need for that.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #22 - 04/13/13 at 12:42:06

apache snow-FSO wrote on 04/13/13 at 12:37:21:
I do try to remember the down position but I don't call a car a cage. Never saw the need for that.

I normally don't call them a cage either,  it's just a habit I've picked up from the motorcycle forums, so it comes out automatically when I'm typing it on them.

R.F.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #23 - 04/13/13 at 13:03:39

At least on mine, the 4-way flashers only work when the ignition is ON.

It is said that California is the guilty party in the park light requirement. They are said to have required that motorcycles (probably all vehicles) had to have a light which would remain on for at least a half-hour if the bike were to be parked beside the road. That led to a requirement for a battery, which led to electric starters and electronic ignitions (indirectly) since the power source was already there.

By the way, I think it is hilarious that a person who thinks points, side valves, and kick starters are superior is willing to use the latest in electronics, a computer and the Internet.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #24 - 04/13/13 at 13:06:53

RFW wrote:
To be honest you just gotta learn  down (counter clockwise) to turn off, just like a cage.  If you do that you will never have the issue of leaving it in park position.  If you drive a cage it should be burned in by now which way to turn the ignition switch to turn a vehicle off.

R.F

I'm in the habit of getting off the bike and turning the switch counterclockwise with my right hand.  It's the odd occasion when I stay on the bike and turn it off with my left hand that I always seem to burn myself. Embarrassed

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #25 - 04/16/13 at 20:18:55

Update:  Bike wouldn't start this morning again, this time I cranked three of four more times, and ran the battery down to where it wouldn't start tonight when I came home.  This is how I jumped it.  

Bike in neutral in front of truck.
Clutch pulled and tied in place.
Negative clamps hooked to both vehicles.
Hook positive to truck with other clamp in other hand.
Push start button before shorting other positive clamp to main pole on starter so as to energize circuit before hand.

The bike started right up.  Now I get to figure out why it won't start in the 30s when its been starting all winter through colder temps. Undecided

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #26 - 04/16/13 at 20:52:51

One or two dead cells? bad cells? low acid in one or two cells?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 04/16/13 at 21:29:11

yes, check voltage before starting and after while running.

get yourself a float charger too.

WWW   IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #28 - 04/17/13 at 12:09:35

It started this morning with no problem at 27 degrees and fresh gas.  I wonder if I had some bad fuel, or maybe they had prematurely switched from winter blend. Undecided  Lows are supposed to be in the upper forties by the end of the week. Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:14:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jump Start?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.