Send Topic Print
Jump Start? (Read 270 times)
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Jump Start?
04/12/13 at 09:57:49

OK, I got bit by the stupid bug last night and turned the switch to park instead of off when I got home.  Smiley When I went out to start it this morning, the taillight was still on, but I only got two cranks out of it.  What I want to know is how to jump start it, or if it's even possible.  I'm thinking bump the main pole on the starter with the positive cable with the negative on the engine ground strap, but I don't want to fry anything.  Any advice?  

BTW, I plan on taking a 20 mile trip on the freeway, so I'm not worried about recharging the battery.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Jump Start?
Reply #1 - 04/12/13 at 10:14:40

Quote:
I'm thinking bump the main pole on the starter with the positive cable with the negative on the engine ground strap, but I don't want to fry anything.  Any advice?

I don't think that will work. You need to get the positive jumper on the positive battery terminal somehow.( If I'm wrong someone else will jump in I hope  Smiley) If you're jumping from a car don't have the car engine running.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/12/13 at 10:25:05

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1337452721

Quote:
I'm thinking bump the main pole on the starter with the positive cable<, and> with the negative on the engine ground strap, but I don't want to fry anything.

note, anywhere on the engine is ground.
make sure it's not in gear   Huh  I mean really make sure.

read thru the link I gave you, much safer to push start and reinforces the 'don't do that again stupid'

WWW   IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #3 - 04/12/13 at 10:38:50

verslagen1 wrote on 04/12/13 at 10:25:05:

Push starting was my first thought, but when I put it in gear and I could hardly push it with the clutch lever pulled, I gave up on the idea.  Seems oil turns to the consistency of honey when it's 32 degrees.  I just hopped in the truck and headed for work.  I may be able to push start it tonight, but I'm still wondering about the jump start if all else fails. Undecided

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 04/12/13 at 10:46:58

You can jump it, but you need about four hands.  Absolutely positively in neutral, hold in the clutch, hit the starter (for the decompress solenoid), negative grounded to the frame, positive to the starter bolt.  That should do it, like I said, you will need about four hands to do it.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 04/12/13 at 10:49:15

Quote:
Seems oil turns to the consistency of honey when it's 32 degrees.  I just hopped in the truck and headed for work

32 degrees!! Yer lucky it didn't start. Probably woulda froze to death Cheesy

Hook it up to a battery charger and wait for the weather to warm up if I was you Grin

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #6 - 04/12/13 at 16:37:12

I have made a few sets of motorcycle jumper cables.  Get the charging clamps from AutoZone, and some nice think 10 gage wire from West Marine, crimp and solder the crimps.  This can clamp on to the positive terminal at the battery, just under the battery box.  Neg is to the engine.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 04/12/13 at 17:37:56

Going directly to the starter is fine, you'll get enough current backfeeding through the cable to energize the ignitor and related "modern conveniences" so it will start. Unlike a good old fashioned points system, these need power to the "brain" to start. Push in the starter button, touch the hot lead to the starter post, and then hope.

Another classic example of over thinking... these bikes really needed to be equipped with points, a kicker AND an electrical system that doesn't require a battery to engage a black box of incipient doom in order to run.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 04/12/13 at 17:55:49

WD, who would buy a kick start bike of over 200cc in this day and age? Black boxes are part of our time.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
SkyHigh
YaBB Newbies

Get your kicks on
Route 66...

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #9 - 04/12/13 at 18:26:21

It would be interesting and probably helpful for many folks to see a video of someone push-starting a Savage or S40.  So if someone has done it before successfully and would not mind making a demo video of it, I think lots of folks on here would appreciate it very much.  I know I would!  Perhaps your wife or buddy could record it.  I would try making the demo video myself, but I've never push-started a bike and have no way of recording it, anway.

Thank you very much!  Smiley

Stock 2011 S40 - Pearl Mirage White / Metallic Veil Silver
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 04/12/13 at 18:35:36

jcstokes wrote on 04/12/13 at 17:55:49:
WD, who would buy a kick start bike of over 200cc in this day and age? Black boxes are part of our time.

Me. My current points fired toys: 1960 John Deere 1020UL gasoline tractor, 1963 Honda CL72, 1971 Honda CL100, 1949 Dodge 1/2 ton, 1969 Dodge 1/2 ton, 1972 VW Super Beetle.

Faced with a brand new latest and greatest gee whiz factor bike, or a kick only, valve in block, hasn't run in decades 1000cc or bigger v-twin... I'd take the fossil.

Points stick, true, but with a dime and a match book cover, you can fix them 9 out of 10 times. Your "magic black box" fails on the side of the road, hope you have a towing rider on your insurance.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #11 - 04/12/13 at 19:52:10

Update: I got lucky.  It was 64 degrees when I got home tonight, so I thought I'd give it a try.  Choke out one notch, and twisting the throttle as I hit the start button, it fired before it had cranked more than half a revolution! Cool  Took it down the freeway on a 10 mile round trip just to charge it, and I'm up and running again. Smiley  Now if I can just avoid turning the switch the wrong way. Embarrassed

I like  houstonbofh's idea for jumper cables, but I'm thinking a pigtail on the battery with spade connectors, and then an extension with alligator clips on the end.  I could also hook up a battery tender with the setup.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 04/12/13 at 20:27:18

SALB wrote on 04/12/13 at 19:52:10:
Update: I got lucky.  It was 64 degrees when I got home tonight, so I thought I'd give it a try.  Choke out one notch, and twisting the throttle as I hit the start button, it fired before it had cranked more than half a revolution!....

Not sure if you had it on a charger or not, but, if you didn't, that's a pretty good battery!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 04/12/13 at 20:33:33

SALB wrote on 04/12/13 at 19:52:10:
....I'm thinking a pigtail on the battery with spade connectors, and then an extension with alligator clips on the end.  I could also hook up a battery tender with the setup.

If you're thinkin' about using your added wires for a jump start, here's what I did a few years back:

I modded mine for an easy, no-tools-needed jump start.

I found a used grounding wire from my old '81 GL1100.  I attached one end to the positive battery cable and insulated the bejeezus out of it.  Here is a pic:

FYI, the lower-right portion of the jump start lead is not connected to anything....it just dead-heads to a terminal under the black insulating hose I've got shoved over the end.  Said terminal is easy to hook a positive jumper cable to.

Not pretty, but it works (just like my Savage) - it's the next best thing to having a kick-starter.

Had to use it in anger for the first time a month or so ago, when my 9 year-old battery gave up the ghost.....

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 04/13/13 at 01:36:19

I drilled a hole in the top of my battery box and ran a heavy gauged wire thru it and  connected it to the positive side of the battery. Capped it with a insulator like you use when connecting hot leads. When I need a jump I just pop it off, hook up the positive jump cable to it and the ground to the rear axle nut. Then I don not have to remove half the bike to get to the battery.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:20:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jump Start?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.