Bike stalling out (Read 244 times)
Ed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chicago
Bike stalling out
04/10/13 at 12:23:00

Hi all! I am new to the site, and fairly new to motorcycles as well. I recently replaced the leaky cylinder head cap, and put the motorcycle back together. Now, I am noticing it wants to stall when I slow down, and dies at almost every stop sign and red light. When I start it, it starts after a few tries and then sputters and dies again. Pulling out the choke makes it even worse. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with it?

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bike stalling out
Reply #1 - 04/10/13 at 13:00:01

There are guys on this forum who will be able to help you but first there are some things you should tell them so they can zero in on your problem.  First of all, after you did the work to stop the oil leak did your bike run OK or did it run poorly from that moment on?  How was it running before you did the work?

Have you done any other work to the bike?  Does it have the stock petcock with the diaphram or a Raptor petcock.  Do you know if it has a stock air filter, exhaust, carburetor jetting etc.  
That and anything else you can think of will help solve your problem.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chicago
Reply #2 - 04/10/13 at 13:25:22

I just did the cylinder head cap on Sunday, and it has been stalling since then. I have all stock parts as far as I know, and I have not done any other work to the bike. Before I did the work it was running fine, but I never had used it in cold weather before. I live in Chicago, and right now its about 45 degrees. But even after I let it warm up, it runs for a bit and then stalls.

IP Logged
Ed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chicago
Reply #3 - 04/10/13 at 13:30:52

If I start it and let it sit, after a while once it has warmed up, it seems to go through cycles of running smoothly, then it slows down and spits black smoke out of the exhaust a bit, then it speeds back up and runs normally for a bit. This cycle repeats for as long as I leave it running.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #4 - 04/10/13 at 13:30:58

Clogged idle needle.

IP Logged
Ed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chicago
Reply #5 - 04/10/13 at 13:34:34

How do I unclog the idle needle? Take apart the carb? Also, what are the potential side effects of me using the bike a few more days without doing it? I won't really have time until Saturday, and I need it to get around.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/10/13 at 13:38:30

WWW   IP Logged
Ed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chicago
Reply #7 - 04/10/13 at 13:41:36

I tried it while it was on, reserve, and prime. No difference.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 04/10/13 at 15:11:57

Ed, did you read the thread carefully enough to note you were supposed to block off both a vac tube and plug a hole in the carburetor AND LEAVE IT THAT WAY?

Why?  Because if you don't block them off fuel can dribble down the vac tube line confusing issues greatly.   And the hole in the carb is a huge air leak if you didn't block that off correctly.

And, if you just flipped the petcock lever around, you didn't DO the test at all.   What you did carried no meaning, in other words.

=============

Nobody is going to offer you anything else to do until you have done this particular test correctly -- the test acts to tell us what area of trouble you have.

And folks offering you a bunch of other items to do before you have correctly completed this test should simply stand silent -- they obviously haven't been around here for very long.

You may want to verify you have a tank full of fresh gasoline before getting too far off into the test drills -- folks here always assume you have a FULL tank of FRESH GASOLINE -- is this the case?

Other than that, what you describe fits a failing vac petcock to a tee ....

« Last Edit: 04/13/13 at 08:36:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chicago
Reply #9 - 04/10/13 at 21:02:14

Ok, ignore that last post. I haven't had a chance to look at this forum on a computer. I did not realize that he had linked to a thread where it shows how to test it. I am terribly sorry for the confusion. I will preform this test as soon as I can. Thank you all for your advice so far. I will come back once this test is done.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 04/11/13 at 06:15:30

Good, we Need a CHicago resident here.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 04/11/13 at 06:17:51

The easiest and best way is to put Sea Foam in your gas and run it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 04/11/13 at 06:58:06

&, until you get this solved, make sure that idle speed is set up high enough to keep it from sloooowly idling down & dying,, every time it dies slowly, it goes thru a Low Oil Pressure event,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chicago
Reply #13 - 04/12/13 at 12:25:01

I have not had the time to test the petcock yet, but I figure if it isn't the problem, it will be soon enough. So I plan on getting the Raptor and just insatalling it. In the meantime, while waiting for it to arrive, I was thinking of doing this mod to the current petcock

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1113631600

What are your opinions on this mod as a temporary fix until the petcock arrives? This way I can get back on the road ASAP.

IP Logged
Ed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chicago
Reply #14 - 04/12/13 at 21:40:59

Hey, just looked at my petcock. vacuum hose is kinda torn up on the end that connects to the carb. could that be causing the problem?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:28:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike stalling out

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.