Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Re: Tubes and slow leaks
Reply #16 - 04/11/13 at 08:22:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/11/13 at 06:18:54:
I could get so close to answering the gas law questions w/o a pencil it was downright funny,,

JOG,
My wife has her own gas law equation. It is BB+BR=NOC, where BB=Bean Burrito, BR=Beer, and NOC=Night on Couch.  Cool

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
mnefred
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Coupeville, WA
Reply #17 - 04/12/13 at 00:01:24

David,
I had exactly the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago. Put on a new ME880 using the original tube. Lost about 5 lbs over night, but haven't lost any since.
I like the 'wrinkled tube' theory.
I've also noticed both tires lose a couple of pounds a week if sitting idle, but don't loose any if ridden every day.  Huh
Mark

Mark & Evelyn
2011 S40 with Routy's FC's, Memphis Shade Slim w/s and lowers, Protac backrest, EBAY hard saddlebags
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #18 - 04/12/13 at 07:58:11

I think Versy's analysis is correct (Reply #3).
When you inflate a new tube there will be air trapped between the
tube and the tire. That trapped air may escape in a number of places:
   1) The hole in the rim for the tube's inflation stem;
   2) Spoke holes in the rim;
   3) The bead of the tire
After the tube is initially inflated, it's air pressure will continue to drop until all of the trapped air escapes through these routes. That usually
happens quickly (during installation and inflation) but could take some time and require several refills before all of the interstitial trapped air
escapes.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #19 - 04/12/13 at 08:43:47

The trapped air theory seems to be applying to my tire. Just checked it after letting it sit for two days. It's down one pound, but it's also about 10 degrees colder, so the apparent leak was actually not a leak, but either a scrunched tube or, more likely, air trapped between the tire and the tube that took a while to escape.

Thanks for your help!

Has anyone here had the rims converted so they will run without tubes? I noticed during my searches on Google on the subject of tubes that there is a company that modifies spoked wheels so that they will work without tubes. Seals all the leaks, installs a valve, for I think $60/wheel.

- David
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 04/12/13 at 08:43:52

Todd James wrote on 04/12/13 at 07:58:11:
That usuallyhappens quickly (during installation and inflation) but could take some time and require several refills before all of the interstitial trapped air escapes.

I haven't seen the use of the words "interstices" or "interstitial" since I had a "Mechanics of Materials" class.......33 years ago!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #21 - 04/12/13 at 08:49:27

Dave wrote on 04/12/13 at 08:43:52:
Todd James wrote on 04/12/13 at 07:58:11:
That usuallyhappens quickly (during installation and inflation) but could take some time and require several refills before all of the interstitial trapped air escapes.

I haven't seen the use of the words "interstices" or "interstitial" since I had a "Mechanics of Materials" class.......33 years ago!

I appreciate the use of that word, too, as a former PhD English major. Nicely put!

- David
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 04/12/13 at 09:56:01

DavidOfMA wrote on 04/12/13 at 08:43:47:
Has anyone here had the rims converted so they will run without tubes? I noticed during my searches on Google on the subject of tubes that there is a company that modifies spoked wheels so that they will work without tubes. Seals all the leaks, installs a valve, for I think $60/wheel.

I think one or 2 have done the DIY rim seal before and that was prior to that being available.  I don't think anyone has specifically stated that they have had it done by that company though.

Our rim is not very deep, so adding a seal and a protective layer will add to the difficulty in installing the tire.

WWW   IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #23 - 04/12/13 at 10:07:40

Thanks. I guess I'll stick to tubes.

- David
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #24 - 04/12/13 at 17:46:04

Once you've converted for tubeless use, you can no longer adjust spoke tension. The gunk that is heat cured in a proper conversion gets into the spoke threads, the gap between rim and spoke nipple... Just something to ponder on.

I finally gave up on one of the tubeless tires here. Can and a half of blow foam. Will be doing another cart tire and 16 mower tires the same way...

One of my trucks still has tubed tires. The 1968/69 date coded tires will hold air for roughly 4 years without too many issues... The 2 year old tubeless gets topped off daily...  Huh

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #25 - 04/12/13 at 22:47:19

While many people think the valve cap is just for looks, I can assure you it isn't. I use metal valve caps with a small o ring in them. It just may settle the slow leaks some experience. Schrader valves are not perfect, so a little extra protection doesn't hurt.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #26 - 04/12/13 at 23:10:57

Boofer wrote on 04/12/13 at 22:47:19:
While many people think the valve cap is just for looks, I can assure you it isn't. I use metal valve caps with a small o ring in them. It just may settle the slow leaks some experience. Schrader valves are not perfect, so a little extra protection doesn't hurt.  Smiley

Amen!!! And if your tube came with a chintzy plastic cap, throw it away and buy a four pack of good ones at Walmart. That way you have a couple spares for the inevitable "Where'd the cap go, it was right here" moment...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:32:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tubes and slow leaks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.