Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Having trouble locating part. (Read 133 times)
Jahoo

Annapolis,MD
Having trouble locating part.
04/10/13 at 06:31:06

Cleaned my carb and found the little diaphragm on the side of the carb isn't sealing all the way because it has warped. More then likely this is why I can't get my bike to kick over. I'm having trouble finding a replacement. I actually found it on one page called an assy diaphragm but it was 50 bucks. For that price I might as well just spend the dough on a performance carb. Anyone know a part number or where I can get it for cheaper?

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Having trouble locating part.
Reply #1 - 04/10/13 at 07:17:01

That little diaphragm is for temporary enrichment when you let off the throttle so the engine won't stall. If it is not torn you should be able to clean it (just soap and water) and re-install it. And your bike should start anyway. Look in the tech section under TEV valve.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 04/10/13 at 18:42:04

I'm not advocating that you do this, but, back in the day, I ran into a similar problem on one of the carbs on my GL1100.

Too cheap to pop for the (at that time) princely sum of $35.00 for the replacement part, I applied a little rubber cement (permanent-style stuff, black IIRC) onto the wounded diaphragm.

Dang thing lasted (at least) another 90,000 miles and I never looked back.  Sold the bike like that....it was still running great!  It may be in there still.....

I'm just sayin'.......

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/11/13 at 06:59:44

Whats "warped"? A rubber diaphragm? Or the metal plate that goes over it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jahoo

Annapolis,MD
Reply #4 - 04/11/13 at 07:04:20

The rubber. It has one side that some how warped so it doesn't properly seal around the circular ring it should fit into.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/11/13 at 07:13:36

So, the circumference of the diaphragm, where it is supposed to sit in a groove, is stretched & the rib thats supposed to lay in the groove crosses the groove & wont seal? If so, exacto the rib down in the area where it
"Goes Rogue" & apply a very lite dose of rubber cement. Test that cement on an edge, toothpick applicator, make sure the cement you have wont hurt that rubber. ONce you feel okay about it, get everything set up & ready, maybe do a dry run,dont wanna hafta put goo on it twice.

I do dry runs on things where there is no room for error & I dont have enough experience to be certain its all gonna go as planned.
I got tired of having adhesives drying while I was trying to solve an unforeseen problem.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #6 - 04/11/13 at 09:30:52

If there is a difficulty in purchasing that diafragm, try to find something like that in a shop of car spare parts . in Russia you can find a suitable from the fuel pump. maybe you may need to slightly modify... some of my friends did this for Intruder 750 and mileage with such modifications was several thousand kilometers.
good luck!

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 04/11/13 at 13:26:15

If it's just out of shape, try boiling it and see if it pops back.
You have nothing to loose.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:18:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Having trouble locating part.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.