Send Topic Print
Out Of Gas (Read 173 times)
zieglarf
YaBB Newbies

Lovin my Suzi!

San Antonio, TX
Out Of Gas
04/09/13 at 17:49:43

I've run out of gas twice. The first time I wasn't paying any attention to mileage and was completely unexpected. The second time I knew it was near time to fuel but thought I could go a couple of more miles.

Both times I reached down and flipped to RES which I assumed would keep the bike running - both times it died. After I rolled to a stop I flipped to PRI (which I assume is to prime the carb) and started the bike. After starting the bike again I flipped it to RES and drove to the gas station. Also I could not get it to start while rolling. I had to come to a complete stop > flip to PRI > then start the bike.

Am I doing it wrong? Am I supposed to flip to PRI or RES? Maybe I didn't flip it soon enough?

'12 S40
WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Out Of Gas
Reply #1 - 04/09/13 at 17:58:17

keep it in gear when it dies with the clutch out so it keeps the engine spinning.  It takes a few seconds for it to pull the fuel down into the carb.  If your at a slow speed you may not have enough forward motion to keep going until the restart happens. If it's taking more then a few seconds you may have a vacuum leak in either the hose from the right side of the carb going to the vacuum operated petcock or a leaking diaphragm on your petcock which isn't allowing it to open the petcock all the way.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/09/13 at 17:58:41

The engine vacuum operates the diaphragm in the petcock.  When you flip the switch it takes some time to get the fuel flowing down through the fuel hose and into the float bowl.  At slow speeds you get some warning as the engine misses a bit and it doesn't run out horribly fast...at freeway speeds it runs out fast.  If you have an inline fuel filter......the refill time can be slowed down considerably as it needs to flush the air out before the fuel can flow at the full rate.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 04/09/13 at 18:05:02

Because the stock petcock is vacuum operated,.. it only allows fuel flow when the engine is running...
In the on position, it will run the fuel 'till it can't get anymore, and your bike will still run a bit, as it uses what's in the floatbowl...
Now, the floatbowl is empty, and yer' bike won't start, and without a running engine, the petcock won't flow fuel...

Sooo,... that's where Prime position comes in... it bypasses the vacuum circuit,.. and lets fuel flow down to fill the floatbowl... and then the bike will start...
Having a reserve position on a vacuum petcock, is basically a stupid thing...
so,.. yes... if you run out of gas, switch to Prime...

Sorry to ramble... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 04/09/13 at 18:36:33

Serowbot wrote on 04/09/13 at 18:05:02:
...so,.. yes... if you run out of gas, switch to Prime...

That's not how I've been doin' it for over 40 years, but that's beside the point.

The point is that one needs to be aware when one is getting close to a situation where a switch to reserve is imminent.  One can sense a "fluffiness" in the engine's power delivery a few seconds before it starts to sputter from lack of fuel.

Be spring loaded to quickly reach down and flip the lever to reserve at the first hint of fuel starvation.  Then, head for a gas station.

Although I've never agreed with this technique, some folks like to flip to reserve while on the move before the engine shows signs of starvation.  Problem is, now you don't know how much gas you've got left....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 04/09/13 at 19:49:08

I have run mine out numerous times at highway speed. I change the petcock to REServe, and in a short time (which seems to be an eternity) the engine catches up again. Of course, I leave it in gear so the engine keeps turning, which in turn produces enough vacuum to operate the petcock. It takes just as long if the petcock is set to PRIme, because the fuel has to flow from the tank to the carburetor and get the fuel bowl at least partly full before the engine will receive fuel and run again. Now, if you are stopped when the fuel runs out, the only choice is PRIme.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 04/09/13 at 20:13:02

Charon wrote on 04/09/13 at 19:49:08:
I have run mine out numerous times at highway speed. I change the petcock to REServe, and in a short time (which seems to be an eternity) the engine catches up again. Of course, I leave it in gear so the engine keeps turning, which in turn produces enough vacuum to operate the petcock. It takes just as long if the petcock is set to PRIme, because the fuel has to flow from the tank to the carburetor and get the fuel bowl at least partly full before the engine will receive fuel and run again. Now, if you are stopped when the fuel runs out, the only choice is PRIme.

Yes,... but,... for noob, that doesn't want to deal with learning the intricacies of vacuum science,.. or play Flying Wallenda on the highway, on a dead motorcycle... a good, general rule is...

When you run out of gas,.. switch to Prime...

Nobody gets me... Undecided...

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 04/09/13 at 20:21:55

Serowbot wrote on 04/09/13 at 20:13:02:
Nobody gets me... Undecided...

That's cause your so Screwy Serowbot  Tongue  hehehehe  Grin

No one thinks the simplest answer to the problem is gonna be the correct one now a days,  they have to make it all complicated like.
Cool

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 04/09/13 at 21:38:50

Reserve works good for me, but I'm switching at the first sign of not running right.
And if I know I'm near to needing reserve. and I'm in slower speed traffic, I switch to reserve before I need to. Then I'll switch back when at higher speed, if I want to utilize all the fuel aboard.
But I like having the 3 options,.......non vac petcock bikes don't have such luxuries Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/09/13 at 22:36:28

Routy wrote on 04/09/13 at 21:38:50:
Reserve works good for me, but I'm switching at the first sign of not running right.
And if I know I'm near to needing reserve. and I'm in slower speed traffic, I switch to reserve before I need to. Then I'll switch back when at higher speed, if I want to utilize all the fuel aboard.
But I like having the 3 options,.......non vac petcock bikes don't have such luxuries Grin

Reserve, on, or push?  you don't have to use prime do you?

Grin

I got 3 options too!
on, off, reserve.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 04/09/13 at 23:01:10

Either way...
Either petcock...
There's only two choices...
Fuel,... ...or not...
Grin Grin Grin...

Beyond that... we're just discussing... labels..
...and gymnastics...
Huh...

IP Logged
zieglarf
YaBB Newbies

Lovin my Suzi!

San Antonio, TX
Reply #11 - 04/10/13 at 21:06:21

Thanks for the tips everyone. The first time I ran out and it started sputtering I thought something was wrong with the bike. This was on city streets so I was going a little quick but not highway speeds. I think it was to late by the time I snapped to it being the fuel.

The second time was at highway speed and I figured right away that it was the fuel because I knew I was coming on refill time, but I pulled in the clutch after I flipped it thinking that I had to 'pop' the clutch to make it restart. So it seems if I had left the clutch alone the fuel should have may it down and the bike would restart.

And I can just stay in whatever gear I happen to be in for it to work? Not downshifting until after the bike restarts? Assuming that I've slowed down enough to need a downshift.

'12 S40
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 04/10/13 at 21:23:12

yep, go for the petcock 1st, but eyeball that right lane and begin the process of pulling over.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 04/11/13 at 05:18:40

As long as the engine is turning, it is making vacuum. But don't crank the throttle wide open waiting for the restart, because that will reduce the vacuum. Just leave the throttle wherever you already had it, and the engine will fire again.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 04/11/13 at 06:13:24

The petcock isnt a fine piece of equipment, polished & refined. Its not exactly easy to turn. Pushing is harder than pulling, for me, so, I reach down & pull,, happily, thats Prime, which means, Fuel, Right Now. I get it running, then, who cares? What difference does it really make? It only matters if I shut it off. Next time it coffs & sputters, IM walking. Time for gas,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:25:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Out Of Gas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.