Send Topic Print
Raptor petcock (Read 179 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Raptor petcock
04/09/13 at 12:46:48

I just picked up my raptor petcock with the number 5LP-24500-01-00. I saw on ebay they were selling raptor 660 petcocks with the number
5LP-24500-00-00. Is it the same thing, or is there a difference? Also the petcock has a clear rubber tube around the white plastic screen on the end of the brass piece. The clear tube is open on the end to let gas in. The parts guy said leave it on there ? Is that right? Thanks!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Raptor petcock
Reply #1 - 04/09/13 at 13:15:11

Take the clear tube off,.. if you want any fuel to flow...

You have to wonder about these "parts guys"... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #2 - 04/09/13 at 13:18:36

on Evil Bay you have to be careful,  you can never tell what it really is till it actually lands at your house and you open the package.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #3 - 04/09/13 at 15:39:45

Thanks Bot, I think you're right.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 04/09/13 at 18:26:34

Grin Grin Grin...
I know I'm right!...
I'm as right, as that parts guy is wrong... Grin Grin Grin...

You should go back to that guy, and give him the clear tubes, and say...
"I thought you might want these for your bike, because if yours is running,... you don't have any on there right now"...
Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 04/09/13 at 19:17:26

Yeah, mine came with a clear tube also, its to protect the filter element during shipping so it don't get bent.....tell yer parts guy to get bent....LOL

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/10/13 at 06:01:39

rl153 wrote on 04/09/13 at 12:46:48:
Also the petcock has a clear rubber tube around the white plastic screen on the end of the brass piece. The clear tube is open on the end to let gas in. The parts guy said leave it on there ? Is that right? Thanks!

They must be recruiting "parts guys" from an employment agency that hires people with no mechanical background.

The clear tube only protects the plastic filter during shipping.  I have also received one with a white foam sleeve that fit around both tubes.

The tube has to come off before installation.....as others have said.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 04/10/13 at 08:19:45

Not tryin' to be mean but think about it...if you left the tube on there as soon as the gas level dropped below the tube what would happen?
Just sayin'
Sometimes ya gotta think things through... Smiley

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #8 - 04/10/13 at 15:50:43

i'm convinced, i'm glad i asked. any body know about that other number petcock they sell on ebay ,that i mentioned in my previous post?

IP Logged
JPSBOBBER
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quebec, Canada
Reply #9 - 04/11/13 at 05:47:30

What's with the raptor petcock? Is it part of the things I really need to get on my bike like the Routy 6" forwards and the "Verslavy" ???

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/11/13 at 07:00:47

JPSBOBBER wrote on 04/11/13 at 05:47:30:
What's with the raptor petcock? Is it part of the things I really need to get on my bike like the Routy 6" forwards and the "Verslavy" ???

The stock vacuum petcock works just fine......most of the time...... and it is very convenient.  If the diahpragm fails, it can create symptoms that are hard to figure out.   It can run fuel into the vacuum hose and make the bike run rich, it can flood the air cleaner with fuel.....or it can make the bike stop running if it does not flow fuel properly.  It can also fail to operate properly when engine or air cleaner mods change the amount of engine vacuum availalbe.

There are plenty of stock vacuum petcocks that are working just fine, and there are about 1-5 postings here a month that end up being caused by faulty vacuum petcocks.

For a lot of us the replacement of the stock vacuum petcock with one form a Yamaha Raptor 660 is a step forward in reliablity.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #11 - 04/11/13 at 07:29:22

And for those of us that remove the tank often it makes it alot easier too!   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 04/11/13 at 09:27:56

Do you plan to mod your bike?  New exhaust pipe that is less restrictive?  New air filtration system that is less restrictive?

Uncorking your bike to get to the last 10 hp that the factory wouldn't give you throws off the vacuum level and makes the factory vac petcock work more unreliably.   It will die eventually anyway due to hardening/cracking diaphragm, etc, but playing "get more power" games that alter the vac level that supports it makes it go whacky a lot sooner.

People do sometimes replace the vac petcock system as a pure reliability issue "pre-emptive strike", but note they also are generally the same folks planning on modding their bikes anyway.

The hard fact is, once you know the trouble symptoms of  vac petcock failure you are on the lookout for them and when they first occur a Raptor petcock gets ordered.

Look here for symptoms.   Don't just skim it -- READ both pages carefully.
 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 04/11/13 at 09:41:05

I would think that a less restrictive exhaust and intake would increase venturi or manifold vacuum because of the scavenging effect on the cylinder. . A cam change on the other hand will reduce vacuum.

Where am I going wrong?

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 04/11/13 at 10:13:18

Start with a restrictive stock air filter and an engine sucking hard at it -- vacuum suction level is high at the take off point on the carb.  Petcock system works as designed, more or less.

Replace filter with low resistance system, more air flows more freely, vacuum suction is lower at the take off point.   System becomes marginal, as you have monkeyed with the input vac level some.

The vac petcock operates off the air pressure differential between the carb intake tract and the outside ambient air pressure.

Effect of a free flowing pipe is more vague and is likely less important than changes we do to the intake side.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:37:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Raptor petcock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.