Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
10'' mini Ape Hangers, 3 questions (Read 286 times)
JPSBOBBER
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quebec, Canada
10'' mini Ape Hangers, 3 questions
04/09/13 at 10:21:45

Hi I started looking at a set of 10'' apes, and I need help on these 3 points:

1- Will they require extended cables ? If so where do i get these, and approx. how much do they cost??

2- Will a set of krome werks universal fit apes fit well on a savage ?

3- Is internal cables easy to do if bars are already drilled and does it change anything except for a cleaner look ?

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: 10'' mini Ape Hangers, 3 questions
Reply #1 - 04/09/13 at 13:09:41

I swapped my stock drag bars for some HD Dyna Wide Glide take offs which I think are somewhere in that 10" range...here's some of my issues I had regarding your questions.

1 - extended cables? 3 main components, Brake Line, Throttle Cable, & Electric Wiring. I ordered an extended brake line from eBay, got a longer Throttle Cable from Lancer and extended the wiring on my own by soldering in extensions. Some people have been able to reroute their cables/hose/electrics without extending, but they seem to vary from bike to bike.

2 - as long as they are 1" bars they "should" work, mine are dimpled and I had to file off the tab on the Suzuki controls to get them to work.

3 - If you have the patience for fishing the wires/cables through the bars good luck, I don't know how hard that is since I didn't try.

Here's a pic from the hot seat  Grin

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #2 - 04/09/13 at 13:25:34

It really depends on what bars your bike came with stock.

If it came with the buckhorns then yes everthing will be o.k. with some creative re-routing.

If it came with the drag bars then I dought it. you will need longer throttle, brake and clutch lines.

I went with Barnett cables (expensive) but they look great. From one of our resident dealers of them here on the boards,  but I'm sure some of the other folks here can get you to other places that will get you some much lesser cost cables and such then the Barnett ones.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
JPSBOBBER
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quebec, Canada
Reply #3 - 04/09/13 at 14:01:06

Thank you very much for your answers, helps me a lot !! P.S. nice ride EJID !! Yes, I do have the buckhorns, great news !!! The bucks I'll save on extending the cable should get me a rear fender or a new seat !!  Smiley  

And last question, how do I know my cables are long enough (weird question maybe) ??  Is it by the fact they simply reach the controls, or will they snap off and break if I steer and they are too short ?

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 04/09/13 at 14:54:34

You won't know for sure until you get everything mounted. I had the stock drag bars, but had picked up a used cable from another board member that took it off of his bike that had buckhorns. The two cables were the exact same length, just with a different angle adapter at the control end. Hope yours works  Huh Otherwise plan on about $80-$100 for the throttle cable and brake line combined.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 04/09/13 at 16:00:43

JPSBOBBER wrote on 04/09/13 at 14:01:06:
Thank you very much for your answers, helps me a lot !! P.S. nice ride EJID !! Yes, I do have the buckhorns, great news !!! The bucks I'll save on extending the cable should get me a rear fender or a new seat !!  Smiley  

And last question, how do I know my cables are long enough (weird question maybe) ??  Is it by the fact they simply reach the controls, or will they snap off and break if I steer and they are too short ?

When I put on my 10" mini apes that replaced my factory buckhorns I just had to do some creative re-routing.  at full turn though it did want to speed the throttle up some even with the re-routing of the cables.  The electrical I had no issues with, they reached just fine.  My Savage is a 96'.   I just didn't like the looks of the re-routing I had todo so that's why I got new cables so I could go with a more natural factory like route that followed the bars.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
rfbznb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

laurel lake, nj
Reply #6 - 04/09/13 at 18:24:04

I used 10 apes 32 1/2" wide with holes for wires and no dimples

I got 5" longer cables from motionpro with shipping they were $87

all bars will fit that are 1"

brake hose 5" over stock 47" total

I made my wires 12" longer and it took 12 hrs to did the wires and run them in the bars. you must solder all of the wires and use heat shrink tubing

handle_bars_2.jpg
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 04/10/13 at 09:55:38

VN750/800A clutch cable. Throttle cable you're on your own, it's an oddball.

If you want decent (wide) levers, order a set for a 1st series Marauder 800, they had a cable operated clutch, same perch and lever as a Savage.

Internal wiring? Run a stiff piece of wire from the base oval up to and through the handle end, tape the harness to the solid wire and pull it through. Piece of cake.

I run 15" apes on mine...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
manonabuffalo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/16/14 at 13:02:25

I have a 2004 marauder vz 800 if I read the post correctly I can put 10"mini apes on my bike without cable extension if it came with the buckhorn bars? I google the bars they look the same as mine..did u guys find bars for those risers or did you need adapters ???

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 05:28:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 10'' mini Ape Hangers, 3 questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.