Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
better handling with straight bar? (Read 184 times)
Kimito
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

better handling with straight bar?
04/08/13 at 14:10:12

Hey~
I was just wondering, do you think the handling gets better when straight handle bars are used instead of the stock?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: better handling with straight bar?
Reply #1 - 04/08/13 at 14:12:41

Depends... riser height, bar width, your physical stature... other modifications...

For me, no, it would degrade the handling to the point of parking the bike until I could get decent rise bars back on it. Minimum 12" rise, set up perpendicular to the ground instead of following the fork angle.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #2 - 04/08/13 at 14:16:19

to each their own, but for me I don't think I would be comfortable with a broom stick style handle bar.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/08/13 at 14:42:11

well I do find the drag bar setup better than the buckhorn.

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 04/08/13 at 14:56:49

verslagen1 wrote on 04/08/13 at 14:42:11:
well I do find the drag bar setup better than the buckhorn.

I didn't like the cramped stock buckhorns either,  I've got a set of 10" mini apes on mine now that are also wider then stock and they feel great.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 04/08/13 at 15:08:05

Effects comfort more than handling IMO. My 06 has the straight bars that come stock on the later models. They are OK but I wish they bent back a little bit. I've got short arms.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 04/08/13 at 15:49:54

Bar height is a personal style/comfort thing,.. it does nothing for handling...
Bar width,...matters...
wider will give more leverage and make the bike steer easier, but, at higher speeds, wind buffeting against your shoulders will transfer to the steering and make you shimmy...
Narrower bars, will make steering require more input, but, will be better at speed... less wobble...
Apes, will also cause wobble,.. because they open you up to wind like a para-sail...

This is why,. dirt bikes have wide bars, and drag, street, and cafe' race bikes have narrow...
...and no performance bikes have apes...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #7 - 04/08/13 at 17:05:03

Yea it depends on your body and riding style as to what fits you best.   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 04/09/13 at 07:31:20

One of the first things I did to my '02 was pull the stock buckhorns and put on some sporty style clubman bars. Much better for riding and comfort. It all depends on you

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 04/09/13 at 08:40:53

I had buckhorns on a Kawasaki 750 twin back in the 80's. Hated them, put some Ducati bars on & it was a whole new bike. Cornered much better. IN fact, have a look at the tracks around the world. Nothing like buckhorns on a single one of those bikes.
I couldnt handle a Straight bar, it would have to have some bend at the grips to make my wrists comfortable. My 40 has the drag bar on it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 04/10/13 at 10:21:25

Comfort...

Handling...

You generally can't have both. And with the 15" bars on the Savage, it went from 70+ mpg with buckhorns to 36mpg. There are always trade offs to be considered. I can ride the Savage all day with the apes, the tracker bend on the Honda is good for 20 minutes, tops, IF I'm having a good back day, otherwise, by the time the engine is warm (2 carbs, two cylinders) it is time to shut it off and go have a beer with a muscle relaxant and a Percocet. Miserable bars, too low, even with the track type seat and mid mount pegs.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #11 - 04/10/13 at 13:18:07

Ohh what's the green bike WD?    Shocked

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 04/10/13 at 19:18:53

1963 Honda CL72.

248cc parallel twin Scrambler with CB250/305 pipes, CB77 (305) carburetors and twin leading shoe drum rear wheel, CL77 (305 Scrambler) spec Ceriani rear shocks and front fork, Suzuki T500 2 stroke (better known as a Titan) twin leading shoe drum front wheel, track bend handlebar, replica Brit bike perches/levers, replica early CBR grips and bar ends... and a seat off a scrapped exercise machine.

In other words, a money pit...  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 04/11/13 at 00:34:32

I've owned an S40 with the OEM drag-style bar and a Savage with the OEM buckhorn styled bars and here's my take ... the S40 handled better. Why? The OEM bucks on the Savage kept my elbows tucked, which I can only surmise, allowed less leverage for good counter steering (push left go left, push right go right) ... after the S40 came out in '05 (still had the Savage at that point), I kept reading about how for many Riders the S40 handled better than the Savage ... it puzzled me ('cause they're literally the same Bike afterall) until I had a chance to Ride a friend's then newly acquired S40 ... lo and behold, it DID handle better! Sizing up my arm position while seated on the S40, I then went immeaditely to my shed, loosend the bar clamps on my Savage and rolled the buckhorns ahead until the grips were a good 1 1/2 to 2 inches higher. Tightened clamps, rotated mirrors & switchgear until in correct position, then test rode. Night and day! With the buckhorn grips rotated higher, it un-tucked my elbows and was like Riding a different Bike ... handled as well as the S40 I had ridden an hour before! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #14 - 04/11/13 at 04:50:10

I thought the tank looked familiar, I had a buddy back in NY who had one a life time ago   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:26:22

General CategoryThe Cafe › better handling with straight bar?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.