Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tech News for Android 5 & Chinese show (Read 190 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Tech News for Android 5 & Chinese show
04/08/13 at 10:30:28

Looking to see a bunch of new stuff inside the next 2 weeks -- new new new forward reaching stuff, kept in deep dark secret places until it is trotted out on a show stage WOW type stuff.

Google has been uber secretive about Android 5.0 and the Nexus 7.7 and Nexus 10.10 and what the interrelations between the two are.

The Chinese (who make all the phones) have dropped working on ANY dual core phones as of a few months ago.   (You do know that the "new" phones actually at the AT&T store range back in time 1-2 years, don't you?   America no longer even gets the newest new stuff until 6 mos to a year passes.   We are no longer the prime sales market, Asia and Europe come first before we get it.)

We have some info from Linaro that great amount of work has been done recently to tune the kernel to properly support 4-10 cores of primary processor power.

We have incidental info from Firefox saying they are re-writing all their core products away from Gekko language (shaky 2 core support) to a new language that supports 64 bits and xx cores naturally.

We now know that Google has rewritten Chrome browser and Chrome OS away from webkit (2 core support) to a forked version of their own design (which will enter into the mainstream Linux Kernel in the normal fashion when it becomes prevalent).

Look to see the 64 bit change over start to start up in the next two weeks ....

The future, she comes ....

Prediction Time

Apple comes out with eyeball tracking and other tricks to make Ipads better than ever.

Android comes out with eyeball tracking and other tricks to make Nexus better than ever.

People won't be able to fully upgrade their phones if they have a dual core chipset, they will fall over the tech cliff into oblivion.

Some Chinese companies become household phone/tablet names staring next week.

Some American companies drop by the wayside.

Apple MUST play their new stuff game now, or they will lose some market share before Christmas of this year.

« Last Edit: 04/13/13 at 10:10:50 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Tech News for Android 5 & Chinese show
Reply #1 - 04/10/13 at 07:04:10

And the first shot from the China show comes from ..... Intel.

"Hey guys, don't pay any attention to the rest of this show because our Bay Trail Chipset is coming in very late 2013 at 22nm and is is going to be a quad core that is gonna be really really great and just in time to miss the Christmas sales season."

Sad thing is Intel has been hawking this Bay Trail chipset for longer than one whole ARM development cycle now, and during that over one year period of time ARM has actually delivered up a whole bunch of quad core chipsets, the best of which are now at 20nm and shrinking to 16nm shortly.   Clover Trail is the chip set Intel actually delivered this year, and it is just another 32nm dual core ATOM chip in a whole world of 28nm quad core ARM stuff.

Intel yaks about their future vaporwear, while ARM delivers their quad core chips, then actually has the time to improve them for a full nm shift/generation before Intel even makes it to the starting gate.

Prediction:  by the time 22nm quad core Bay Trail actually ships inside a product there will be several 20nm octa core ARM chip sets inside a product shipping at or under 20nm.   Christmas will be ARM this year, quad core and 28nm or better across the board.

.... and Intel slips further behind from that point onwards, heading towards "who cares?' year by year by year.

At this point Intel has no answer to Big/LITTLE for power consumption and they haven't even announced any future vaporware plans for an octa core chipset for a tablet or a laptop.  Their developmental speed sucks compared even to the Chinese little guys and I suspect they will be lapped by them shortly as well as the new ARM generations keep rolling out year on year.

Prediction:  By 2016, Intel will not be in front of even the Chinese little guys on nanometer size or core count.

« Last Edit: 04/15/13 at 08:20:31 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/10/13 at 07:10:45

If they did that last, there'd be no end to the laughter.
This way they just say next slide please... ok, comon... let's get serious... can we get some smelling salts up front... ok, ok, let's calm down.

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 04/10/13 at 10:42:37

I for one can't wait for android OS 5,  I've already got a quad core phone just itching for a new o/s that makes full use of the cores.   I've also got a Nexus 7  16GB model but I can't remember what processor or number of cores it's got.

I use my phone alot more then I do the tablet for all my mobile needs, the screen is almost as big, it's the Samsung Galaxy Note 2

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 04/10/13 at 17:40:21

First shot goes to Intel, first news story goes to Microsoft (who isn't even attending the Chinese show, but can still make the first big news story)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57578914-92/pcs-hit-by-an-ugly-quarterly-dro...

PCs hit by an ugly quarterly drop as Windows 8 flops is the headline.   11 to 14 percent drop in 3 months time is the number.

(that is a big drop in sales thrown up against a matching increasing market share uptick in Android and IOs products).

Once again, the buzz at the Chinese pre-show events is that the Microsoft Win8 partners have all taken it in the neck BIG TIME over Windows 8, the worst hit of the crew were the Windows phone and Windows RT partners who took BIG losses in stale inventory and tied up (idle) production lines.  

Best Buy had better MOVE some of that stuff at discount or else you are going to begin to lose some marginal vendors soon.

It is not accidental that Acer, Dell and Lenovo are shipping Ubuntu OS pre-installed on devices right now.   Folks feel a real need to hedge good 'ol Microsoft right now and they don't want to have to use super premium bits and pieces just to use Win8 RT or Win8 Pro for an OS.

Now, let's see what plays out with XP timing out soon (a synthetic forced MS obsolescence) and let's see what really happens to all those old machines that still comprise nearly 50% of the PC base right now.   "Education" in particular is filled with these old machines and there is no money to buy a new replacement unit right now .....

« Last Edit: 04/10/13 at 20:04:53 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 04/10/13 at 19:36:31

And Microsoft rings the news gong again .... not even being there they are once again hot news during pre-show time.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57578883-75/no-microsoft-office-for-ios-and...

No Microsoft Office for iOS, Android until fall 2014?

"An alleged road map for Microsoft's coming Gemini wave of Office updates, if accurate, indicates Microsoft's Office for iOS and Android -- as well as Outlook for Windows RT -- might not happen as soon as many had hoped for and expected."

Now, bounce this around the China Mobil Conference for two weeks and let all the folks talk to it and about it during their various presentations of alternate tablet and phone OS systems.   You could get yourself a budding consensus of an action plan that simply doesn't include Microsoft at all, not even at the fringes, not even with the products that people actually like (but apparently cannot ever get).

Before long, somebody will have to ask Linus an innocent question at a Helsinki University Linux talk about this topic, and Linus may well have to apply his middle finger of death again to yet another uncooperative bullheaded vendor.

Fall of 2014 will be quite a ways out measured in ARM time, and everyone will then be deep deep inside the 64 bit changeover mode by then.  Things will be moving way way too fast for Microsoft to hit the hillside behind the backstop, much less hit a rapidly evolving and moving ARM/Linux target.  

And remember, Google just bought themselves a ARM/Android company that makes a Office compatible suit that opens, changes and saves a standard MS file just fine.   Such an item may well become the open source standard for MS file exchange, contributing code to Open Office and all the rest as needed to make MS's current stupidity/stubborness pretty much a non-issue by fall of 2014.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 04/11/13 at 02:06:56

I hope MS as a whole becomes a non-issue sometime in the near future. One can dream.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 04/13/13 at 09:43:58

Well, Microsoft/Intel's last chance at large scale relevance in phone/tablet space depends on ARM/Android/Linux screwing up the 64 bit transition in some meaningful manner, and making a bobble period that gives Wintel a chance to exceed/excel during that bobble period.

You can see that Intel's hardware timing for Bay Trail is aimed at the early half of 2014 and Microsoft is frantically working at optimizing Windows Blue (9.0) to fit that hardware feature set exactly, yielding optimized results.   Given a whole year, they might actually make it.

The weakest moment in any new hardware platform is the 64 bit transition period, when standards for the new 64 bit OS are not jelled completely and the hardware isn't compliant completely because the specs aren't shaken out completely yet and both are "searching" for a fit.

Yes, you see everybody working on 64 bit right now -- but are they coordinated enough?   ARM and Android and Linaro are in lock step so far, so if your cheap Chinese hardware isn't 64 bit standardized then you get booted down to the 32 bit execution mode instantly which is where you should stay.

My prediction here is that the Chinese quad core A9 guys make no effort to go 64 bit in any meaningful way, so the 2014 grades of Android must make a quick decision to execute in 32 bit mode and simply go that way for these products and always execute in 32 bit mode using fast 32 bit programming.   Actually, a separate 32 bit Android makes sense for at least one transition flavor of 64 bit Android ....

A major bobble would be having the software check every time a program lights up (slows down things considerably).    Much smarter would be having a separate Android xx for 32 bit processors and a fully optimized Android xx for the relatively few first generation 64 bit fully compatible devices.  

Or simply not allow incompatible devices to load the new 64 bit software in the first place.

This would give a cut off wall at Key Lime Pie for anybody who isn't fully 64 bit compatible.   Mellow Macaroon would not even start up unless you had a fully compatible 64 bit system to run it on.   Harsh, yes, but if you go muddled you give away relevance and a second chance to Wintel for in essence "better planning" than yours.

Microsoft/Intel's last true hope is a muddled up mess in Android land that allows them to excel for a short period of time.   We will see which camp can keep their act together better during this critical period.

Wink

......  Ballmer's Last Stand, Intel's Alamo

If I were Wintel, the people working on Bay Trail would sit in the same physical office as the Windows Blue people, desks side by side with the hardware/software guys from the two companies paired up for each major chunk of the software.   And their stated goal would be "excellence in optimization" right at the product launch.   They might even merge the two companies together (if Intel was stupid enough to do that to themselves).

Heck, if they want to be Apple so durn bad then by golly do it like Apple does ...

« Last Edit: 04/14/13 at 01:00:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 04/15/13 at 08:05:15

Cisco just sold the Linksys division to Belkin.
 I can remember when Cisco was the internet hardware god and Belkin was a chinesy Chinese rip off of a Netware device.

Things have changed, haven't they?

============================

Rockchip's A9 multi cores (duals and quads) have all 100% swapped from the 40nm to the 28nm manufacturing processes.   The cheap Chinese stuff is now being built on last year's primo lithography process.

The silent inference here is that the brand new 16-20nm lines are busily making the big boys state of the art chipsets, you know, the ones that ran on the 28nm line last year.

OK, Apple ran their new stuff first, now comes the new 20nm Nvidia and Exnos and the Snapdragons.   We should see a wave of product intros starting soon.

I still have a hard time getting my head around the "cheap Chinese hand held stuff" using 3 year old ARM designs is now faster than a CRAY II supercomputer .....  my head just boggles at it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 04/15/13 at 09:39:57

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/15/13 at 08:05:15:

I can remember when Cisco was the internet hardware god and Belkin was a chinesy Chinese rip off of a Netware device.

Well now that that has happened maybe Cisco will get their act together again and start putting out decent switches again.  They really went down hill when they got on board with Linksys.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #10 - 04/15/13 at 16:16:51

rfw2003 wrote on 04/15/13 at 09:39:57:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/15/13 at 08:05:15:

Well now that that has happened maybe Cisco will get their act together again and start putting out decent switches again.  They really went down hill when they got on board with Linksys.

R.F.

They both tanked fast after the merger.  Now maybe Linksys can get better too...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 04/15/13 at 20:16:39

My wife wants to use her Ipad to beam a movie over to the TV using air play.  This is a wifey request as we are considering dumping cable again and she wants to get to all her shows that she is currently watching on her Ipad up on the big screen.

Apple TV is quite expensive and it doesn't work 100% with older Ipads.   I told her this up front.

What to do?    Undecided     What to do?      

I told her to get her Ipad upgraded to IOS 5 at the Apple Store in Raleigh NC, get her airplay button up on the screen and I'd try to get her a box for the TV.

I watch this shite go by all the time and I remembered seeing a box with a large wifi antenna and it had decent memory and it made some Airplay claims for Ipads mirroring to the big TV using a driver they supply.

So, what the heck, for $69 I looked it back up again and I bought one -- it will arrive in two weeks roughly.

I am not so naive that I expect it to actually suck a signal well enough from an across the room Ipad to watch a real movie out of it, but I do expect it to come in fully rooted so I can load a future OS on it later on after the wife tires of her new toy and I get to re-purpose it later on.   Until then, I got a cordless keyboard to drive the thing and I can play with Android a bit to see what it can do compared to my old PC (  Wink without risking or wasting anything as it is a Wifey Do Project  Roll Eyes ).

http://miniandroidpc.com/shop/mk812-dual-core-a9-mini-pc-with-camera-micropho...

Key thing here is I didn't spend a mint on an apple box that has known issues, and I can always claim the Chinese lied to me and show her the Youtube video of it working.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 04/15/13 at 20:37:06

you devil you   Smiley

netflicks supposed to be over net

couple others too

let us know how it works.

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 04/15/13 at 21:10:20

OF this is the one I would have gotten if I were you, it's got the Exynos 4412 Quad core cpu in it

MK4412 Quad-core Exynos 4412 Android 4.2.1 Mini PC

It's on the same site from the link you provided above.

R.F.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 04/16/13 at 09:41:19

I looked at the newer quad core sticks and the impression I get is that they aren't fully cooked yet.   THERE IS NO SOFTWARE can use the raw ability of those 4 each 1.6 mhz A9 cores quite yet.

This is an older box, using an older 4.1 "they call it stable" version of Jelly Bean Android that has all the bugs worked out of it -- supposedly.   The software that is out there can use the two cores effectively and there are Linux distros for the RK3088 sticks and mine is unlocked from the factory, just pop in the SD card with the distro on it.

At 1.6 mhz it is close to as fast as any dual core out there, it has Airplay ready to go supposedly and it has that big honkin' antenna which according to reports does totally fix the wifi issues as I have to use wifi for a connection.

Plus the price has dropped some, to half what your proposed box would cost.   I think I have enough excuse to buy it ....

NO, YOU WILL NEVER BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU BUY two weeks after you buy it -- Android is evolving just that fast.    Android evolves so fast that a kickstarter "state of the art" system is slightly moldy by the time it actually ships and the projects I watch with interest are the ones who have solid plans for processor board replacement that can happen periodically.

Last year this time an Allwinner A10 single core A8 processor was "state of the real" for stick PCs, 1 ghz processor with 512meg systems memory.   Video was a single core Mali 400 graphics chip at 200 mhz.

Same money this year can buy you a dual or quad core A9 with 4 core Mali 400 graphics at 500 mhz.  Folks estimate that improvements are coming at 4 times the best Moores Law speed that Wintel ever reached and software innovation is not keeping up with the hardware.

So, I bought for a stable respectable software/hardware match up that is actually doing the stuff my wife wants to do, at the best cost at the point in time I bought it.   I think that's the best I can do right now.

And at $70 shipping included, it is cheap enough to try try again in a year or so if it doesn't please completely.

================

Hope for the future is that Google actually enforces some real standards through Linaro and their Android software to force everyone to keep their stuff in fairly close compatability lock step going into the 64 bit change over.  

Issue is right now the Chinese are playing around with the Android OS itself to custom compile something that will run on their whacked hardware mix ups .... very very much non-standard right now.

If they go into the 64 bit change over all fragmented all over the place they give Microsoft/Intel their chance to shine next year.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:32:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › Tech News for Android 5 & Chinese show

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.