Battery life (Read 120 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Battery life
04/07/13 at 22:55:43

My proudly stock S40 did a nasty today, I went to buy a tyre valve extension at the dealership and when I had brought it the bike wouldn't start. Dead battery, dealership didn't have one on hand and loaned me a GZ 250 to get home and back to them tomorrow. I don't want this to become a bash the dealership thread, but how long are peoples batteries lasting? I got two and a half years and 14000 miles.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Battery life
Reply #1 - 04/07/13 at 23:04:08

I'd say 2 to 6 years.. depending on use, weather, stop 'n' starts, luck...
Yer's didn't do great,... but, it's within the realm of possibility that it's going...
Huh...

In other words,... I have no idea... and, am no help at all... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 04/08/13 at 05:08:30

2 - 6 yrs is a good guess range.

The ones that stay w/ the fullest charge, and gets a drink of water now and then, will last the longest.

One that does lot a short trips,....sits around 1/2 dead 1/2 the time, seldom sees a float charger or a drink of water, 2 yrs max !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 04/08/13 at 05:49:35

My 2000 Savage, stock battery 4 years/5K miles, a flooded battery 3.5 years/14K miles, AGM battery 5 years/20K miles and still running.  And I had flattened the battery about 5-6 times, with 1-2 quick charges with a 10 amp car charger.

I like AGM batteries -- far stronger than old tech flooded batteries.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 04/08/13 at 06:42:31

First battery 3 years, 2nd battery 4 years, 3rd battery 4 years, 3-4 months out of the last 3 batteries... has been of the road 2 years getting electrical work...  Roll Eyes

Mine is a 15 year old machine that was ridden hard for its first 8 years or so. The next 5 saw intermittent use or no use after a charging system malfunction, decompression relay failure and harness melt down.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/08/13 at 06:50:09

I had a new battery crap out in a matter of months on the 4 wheeler.,.It was so flaky I suspected an intermittent low current drain in the charge circuit.BY the time it finally crapped out I had lost the receipt.. blast,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 04/08/13 at 07:32:04

I bought my S40 new in August 2006. I have no idea how the dealership prepped the battery. The original battery is still in it, and still apparently going strong. I check the water a couple of times during the summer season. I remove the battery during winter storage, because it is easier to check and charge it that way during winter. I put a battery charger on it two or three times during the winter for however long it takes to decide the battery is charged, but I do not leave it connected for more than a day or two at a time. So far, so good.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 04/08/13 at 07:32:51

I left my light on the other day for about 15 minutes...not sure how but I did, anyway I put it on the trickle charger (took a whole day to come back to life) but works fine now.
I must be lucky I've done this maybe 3 times...original battery yusa or whatever it is...my bikes an '06 which means it's probably a 6-7 year old battery...still kickin'
I'm thinking i should probably get an AGM this year tho'

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 04/08/13 at 20:35:38

jcstokes wrote on 04/07/13 at 22:55:43:
....but how long are peoples batteries lasting?...

I just recently swapped out an AGM battery that had been in my bike (see my signature) for over nine years.  I pulled it out after it had (just barely) failed a load test.....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 04/09/13 at 04:52:10

The stock battery in my FJR 1300 lasted 7 years.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 02:53:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery life

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.