Send Topic Print
straight pipe (Read 219 times)
maxximus
YaBB Newbies

HAVE YOURSELF A
SAVAGE DAY!!

straight pipe
04/07/13 at 19:53:24

I removed the muffler and fabricated a tip groundpounder and removed the airfilter box and replaced th filter with a pod filter.  And bike seems to run good. But do I have to re-jet the carb!!!?? Its a 97 savage with 12k miles

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: straight pipe
Reply #1 - 04/07/13 at 22:59:29

If it runs good,.. then, I guess not... I'm really surprised, but, I guess not...
Huh...

No offense intended,.. but, are you aware of how a good running stock Savage should feel?...
... and then,... is this now running better?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 04/08/13 at 06:56:31

Yes it needs to be rejetted. Pull your spark plug and check the center electrode insulator. I'm betting it looks like it has been glazed... Get in touch with Lancer, he's the site's carb tinkerer extraordinaire...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
maxximus
YaBB Newbies

HAVE YOURSELF A
SAVAGE DAY!!

Reply #3 - 04/08/13 at 07:17:56

@Serowbot no offense taken!! Its my first bike and I'm not sure how a stock savage should feel? I did notice a better take off and more power!! And today I will take the spark plug to check it out.  Thank you for your advice

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 04/08/13 at 07:34:15

If you literally have a straight pipe for an exhaust system, there will be two main difficulties:
1. Doing something about the increased hatred the general populace has for motorcycles.
2. Getting the bike to run correctly over the wide speed range typically required for street motorcycles.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 04/08/13 at 09:48:46

Louder does not mean it has more power. Sometimes it feels like it but most times you loose low end torque. You will probably need to re-jet.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/08/13 at 18:53:46

Unless thats a really skinny straight pipe, it has less power now from the line.

Only way to know if a mod worked is to run some timed tests before changes are made,, then try again & see if its actually quicker,, or just louder

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/09/13 at 09:32:05

As Apache Snow suggested.....sometimes a slower bike can feel faster even though it may not be.  You may have lost some torque at the low end, so when the engine starts to run better at higher rpm's you may interpret the power surge as being more power....when it could actualy just be an uneven jump in the power delivery.

For bikes that are ridden on the street......low end torque is the best thing to have to make the bike (especially the Savage) rideable.  This engine is not a HP engine.....so if you try to tune for HP you will not be taking advantage of the strong points in a big single.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 04/09/13 at 10:37:44

This is probably not entirely accurate,.. but, if you've ever seen a power curve on a dyno chart,... it tends to look like a hill...
Going from low HP at idle, and rising with RPM to the top of the hump, and then falling away...
When you put a less restrictive pipe on,... the hump becomes more of a mountain peak... in other words,.. as you gain HP at the peak, the powerband becomes narrower...
You have a higher peak HP, but it's only available in a small band of RPM...

This will make your bike feel like you have to constantly turn the throttle full blast, or it has no guts at all...
Drag racers like this,... because they get maximum HP that way,.. but, they have to launch at full revs,.. and burn out their clutches and blow engines all the time...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 23:36:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › straight pipe

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.