Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stupid is as stupid does..... (Read 137 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Stupid is as stupid does.....
04/07/13 at 18:15:59

WARNING: This is a rant. Proceed at your own risk.

10 years I've lived in my present location. I have to mow approximately 1/2 acre of grass. Come spring time (now thru June) it requires twice a week mowing, it grows fast. My first mower was a Troybuilt self propelled. I beat the heck outta it, went 8 years of abuse (left outside in rain, etc) but always did its job when asked. 2 years ago the motor seized ( never changed oil) so shopping I went. Bought a Poulan Pro mulcher....worked fine, put it away (in the shed out of the rain stabilized fuel) Pulled out and it worked up till July then would not start for the life of me. F...it, went and bought a new one @ Home Depot, a Yard Machine. It worked OK put it away, drained fuel. Went to start last week with new fuel, nada, it tries but never gets going, spits gas out the muffler with white smoke....darn. Warranty is a real pain in the arse, have to make 2 round trips on the ferry to an authorized dealer. Can't find a new carb on line (its plastic!) or I'd just do it myself....
I'm done with Briggs and Stratton, just plain old junk anymore, and they are covert about parts, jerks!

Honda, here I come......

end o' rant

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Re: Stupid is as stupid does.....
Reply #1 - 04/07/13 at 18:39:30

I bought a Cub Cadet back in 1995 thats still going strong. It has shaft drive. It would probably be expensive to replace today.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 04/07/13 at 18:55:07

I've had the same Toro push/propelled mower for a decade, run the gas out of it at the end of the season, sharpen the blade each spring, change the oil and air filter every other year and it's good to go.  I had a Toro snow blower that was worry free too, sold it when I moved south.

Sorry to hear about the Poulan RayDawg, just a headache you don't need   Sad

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 04/07/13 at 19:31:53

I've got one of the newer Cub Cadet models it's about 4 1/2 years old and I've had nothing but troubles out of it.  Every year I have to send it to the shop for one thing or another. Now it's out of warranty so it's gonna come out of my pocket this year.  I'm wishing now I would have bought a John Deere when I got this thing like my neighbor did and they have had not a single issue out of theirs at all. Cub Cadets used to be a quality product but I see now they have gone down hill to the common throw away riding mowers that sell for less then $1K but you still pay the premium for their name.  :'(

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 04/07/13 at 19:48:06

Ray since I work with those dang things every day,I feel qualified to throw my $0.02 in. Listen to Toes. We sell Honda,Toro and Cub Cadet. Of those three,I'll take the Toro every time....no question. Sure the Honda is good,but over rated and overpriced. The Toro "Super Recycler" has  beat Honda in customer satisfaction polls and Consumer Reports trials several years now.  I don't even bother discussing Cub,be it riders,Zero-turns or walk behinds.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

on a shooting range in OK.
Reply #5 - 04/07/13 at 20:17:10

i know your pain. i have to mow a 6 acre shooting range every week. its sandy here in oklahoma so it just eats up bearing and blades like crazy. i bought a craftsman mower thinking it would last but no. Roll Eyes its like everything else made these days. its cheap.
my dad has had the same craftsman mower for the last 20 yrs. guess they were made better back then.

shoot fast. reload faster.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 04/07/13 at 23:12:22

Keep an eye on the rabbits...

They don't like you cutting their grass,.. and they're sneaking in at night, and peeing in yer' crankcase...

Devious little buggers... Huh....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/08/13 at 05:51:15

Many of the smaller new mowers, snow blowers etc. are now equipped with Chinese engines.  A dealer told me that unless the engine has an American company's label on it, such as Briggs & Stratton then it is Chinese.  That applies to many old reliable names in power equipment.

I use an older John Deere (made in East Moline and a couple older Toros with Briggs engines).  They all do fine but they are easily old enough now to smoke and buy liquor.  My goal is to keep them running as long as I can mow. 

Honda still makes an excellent mower and they last a long time.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 04/08/13 at 07:17:50

Shoulda took care of the first one, huhh?

Ive got an MTD Yardman. Says Right THERE in the Owners Manual
Not intended for clearing brush
When we got here 7 years ago you either took the drive up to the road or you took a machete. I took a machete & mounted it in a cardboard sleeve under the hood, so I can slip it out while mowing. No need to lift the hood at all,,handle is Right There, easy to grab. I slowly worked that stuff back. Took 3 or 4 years, every year Id push the underbrush back a little farther. The seals in the rear axle started leaking. Every time it got hot out, it would leak. When it cooled off, it would inhale, get hot, air expands, pushes more grease & oil out. They dont SELL parts for that assembly, only the assembly, so, I took it apart, drilled a hole & ran a grease gun hose into it & mounted the grease gun tip poking out the back & put a vent on it. MIxed up grease, oil & antisieze & packed it. Put it together. Thats been 4 years ago. I took 2 zerks & put them in a coupling. Now, I can hook a grease gun up to one of them, poke the other in the grease gun hose end on the mower & pump grease in the rear end..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 04/08/13 at 07:22:08

My Home Depot sourced Toro was a piece of junk from the word go. Bad carb, bad drive box, soft blade. Last year I went to restart it after it stalled and the recoil spring snapped.  Angry

Husqvarna will be its replacement. Although, most of my mowing is with a 60" cut Kubota 4wd commercial mower. Or a 12 FOOT John Deere rough cut behind a Massey Ferguson 165 diesel...  Roll Eyes  "Yard" is about 20 acres.

The new Kohler engines designed to replace deceased Briggs, Tecumseh and Kohler valve in block designs are made by Yamaha.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #10 - 04/08/13 at 08:13:19

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 04/08/13 at 09:58:50

I got my Cub Cadet right before MTD took over. I guess they are cheaply built now. Mine has never given me any trouble. It has a Kohler engine.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #12 - 04/08/13 at 10:01:24

apache snow-FSO wrote on 04/08/13 at 09:58:50:
I got my Cub Cadet right before MTD took over. I guess they are cheaply built now. Mine has never given me any trouble. It has a Kohler engine.

Lucky you,  I for one will never buy a Cub Cadet again with the experience I've been having with the one I got now.  I should have known to take it back the first day when I had to get a warranty repair call when I had trouble with it on the very first day I owned it.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #13 - 04/08/13 at 10:01:44

When I had my Troybilt 33"wide cut I loved it.  Four fwd gears plus reverse.  It was a walk behind.  Awesome mower but it stayed with the house when it was sold.

This tale of woe is a bit long winded, sorry.

Since being in this house (Oct. 2009) I have had four mowers in three years.  All have been Walmart crap MTD/Yardman.  First one went about half the season in 2010 and just would not restart when I stopped to empty the bag.  I took it to a repair shop with the instructions that I needed it fixed but I did not want it to be more than half the price of a new mower ($239 new price)  They fixed it by replacing the coil and with diagnostics and labour etc the cost was about $170.  I was pretty steamed at them but I was over a barrel and had to pay it to get the mower back.

First cut of 2011 season and the mower would not start.  Coil fried again.  I threw it away this time.  I mentioned to my wife that I would like to get a decent mower this time and that I could get a new Troybilt 33" from the states for $1300 plus duty, a Sultech Stealth 33" shipped from Ontario for about $1600 or I could keep looking for something.  I came home from work and my wife had bought a $239 mower at Walmart.  It work for the rest of the season.  

I went to use it for the first cut of 2012 and it would not start.  I had the coil tested - no good again.  I couldn't find the receipt either.  I said to my wife that this time we get a good mower.  I came home from work and she had bought a $289 mower.  Ooh! a whole $50 extra splurge!  Of course at Walmart again.
Anyway, this mower did the 2012 season until almost the end.  I mowed over a baseball and the blade broke right off!  OK I agree that they are not supposed to mow baseballs but come on!  I took it back and told Walmart they could keep their junk and I would not buy another mower from them.  I borrowed a friends mower for the last cut of the season.

Here it is time for the first cut of 2013 and I don't have a mower.  So I was looking at the Toro 30" walk behind last week at $1150 and available at a tool rental business here in my town.  The day I mentioned it to my wife was the day she got fired from her job.  How's that for bad luck!  Money will be super tight for a while, so I will looked for a used mower either privately or from the pawn shop.  darn.
Undecided Huh Embarrassed :'(

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 04/08/13 at 10:42:15

Buy a couple goats and a couple of tie out stakes. End of problems.

My Kubota mower is a 4 cylinder diesel rider. Steering wheel type instead of joysticks. Model F3060. Worth every penny versus a gas burner. In Canada you should be able to buy small Kubota tractors with mower decks pretty cheap, I have to get parts for my tiller tractor from up there, not a USA market machine. No safety guards or roll over protection...L1510, everything is in Japanese except the numbers...  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:32:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › Stupid is as stupid does.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.