Send Topic Print
Interesting thermometer (Read 48 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Interesting thermometer
04/07/13 at 08:01:16

Ive wished for one that would do this.. Saw one at the store where we buy plants for the garden. Priced @ $29.00,, but, it had been hanging so long the cardboard it was on was starting to yellow, & I got a 2" BUlldog hitch from there a year ago that had been laying there for years for $10.00, so, I took a shot & dang if I didnt get this crazy thing for $10.00, too. Took some messing with it to get it acting almost right. It may be ruined from never having been cleared & messed with. The High/Low markers are Ferrous rods, there are wimpy magnets running the length on both sides to hold the markers at their uppermost positions. REset requires holding a button that disengages the magnets. The markers had settled into the heavy fluid column. One was stuck pretty bad. I had to use several High Class magnets stacked together, hot water & even had to remove the glass U tube & tap on it to get one loose. They Do have a lifetime warranty, tho..if I cant get this thing working.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CBIMB/?tag=%20taylorusacom-20

MOre info

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Interesting thermometer
Reply #1 - 04/07/13 at 08:11:54

I had one like it decades ago. On mine, the ferrous indicators stayed in place by very light friction. It used a magnet to pull the indicators back to the mercury column for reset.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 04/07/13 at 08:14:34

This one doesnt have Mercury, just a heavy fluid column, the blue stuff, & a lighter column on each end. Heavy stuff in the bottom of the U-shaped glass.

How did you like it? What happened to it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

on a shooting range in OK.
Reply #3 - 04/07/13 at 08:30:00

i worked at a hog farm briefly. they had one of those in every room. used them to track the high and low temps during the winter. worked pretty good.

shoot fast. reload faster.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 04/07/13 at 08:32:08

Im not gonna spring but for 1. Ill move it around. Shop, Garden & Hot House.

Well,, IDK, If I like it, I May get another. Keeping up with the garden temp swings & the hot house may demand it,

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 04/07/13 at 08:34:05

Mine was much older, before mercury became such a demon. Mine used (I think) kerosene as the thermometer liquid, with the kerosene in the bulb on the upper left being the active agent. The mercury formed a plunger going around the bottom of the "U" tube, and the iron indicators floated atop the mercury. It came with a small magnet which was used to reset the indicators. Worked just fine. I don't remember what happened to it - perhaps I lost it or left it behind in a move. These days, electronics do what it did, probably more accurately.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/07/13 at 08:37:19

REally? POint the way! Im interested.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:24:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › Interesting thermometer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.