Is anybody interested in something like this: http://www.eliomotors.com/

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Elio 3 wheeler
Reply #1 - 04/07/13 at 07:39:52

I really like that ,but I don't see how they can sell it for that price,It includes air and power windows, radio.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/07/13 at 08:06:50

Q. Who makes the engine/drive train/brakes etc.?

This is the most popular question through the website by far! We are eager for you to meet all of our supplier partners and are planning an announcement this May. We will have a press conference announcing our partners and share that information through the website and Facebook.

An answer would have been a lot better. Who's running this? A politician?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #3 - 04/07/13 at 08:37:46

Nope, Paul Elio himself. There's a lot of stuff to get through to do all this. I hope it all happens, but am skeptical myself. The price does look really too low to me also. I'd have to see one and drive it before I would commit to it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/07/13 at 08:41:28

The question I want answered is, who makes the guts? Until I know that, nothing else matters. Composite body parts & A/C & heat & radio, $6,800.00? Waaay too cheap to be good, IMO.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #5 - 04/07/13 at 09:09:58

I'd like to know the answer to that also. All they say is a three cylinder engine!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 04/07/13 at 12:27:00

Maybe thats with the government rebate of $7500 because of the gas mileage.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 04/08/13 at 00:39:25

Daihatsu (Toyota Group) made (still makes?) exquisite 650cc twins (sweet, my wife had one) and 550cc triples (the miniaturized version of the 1000cc triple) all counterbalanced and water cooled, with 5 speed transmisison and which would deliver in excess of 60mpg on a steel body.

This baby of a car,. in the 70hp Turbo version would squeal the tires in 3rd gear, and zip in city traffic faster than most Police cars.

On the other hand, a motorcycle engine would be a very poor choice because motorcycle engines are designed to propel a 450lb. bike+ 2 passengers, not a "full-size" city car with all the expected gadgets.
It's a matter of available torque, power band etc.

My personal observation is that Elio wasted a very good opportunity and omitted to make the body as wide as the front track.
I understand that - maybe - Elio are forced to have external fenders in order to qualify as "three-wheeled motorcycle", perhaps if they had an "automobile-like" body it would qualify as a three-wheeled car - if you even have such a thing in your highway code.

But, IMHO, there is nothing against having external fenders AND a wides body for a two-up front seat.
A bit like many racing cars, where the fat radiators sit behind the front wheels.

Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #8 - 04/08/13 at 09:27:15

bill67 wrote on 04/07/13 at 12:27:00:
Maybe thats with the government rebate of $7500 because of the gas mileage.

The rebate only applies to hybrids and full electrics.  I'm not sure, but it may also apply to alternate fuels, such as propane.  

I'm guessing they will source the motor with something already in production.  The Mitsubishi sourced three that Diamler puts in the smart car would work great.  

I wonder what top speed is....could it be used on the freeway????

Another question....do you have to have a motorcycle endorsement since it's considered a motorcycle.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:29:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › Elio 3 wheeler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.