Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anybody ever change the throttle? (Read 152 times)
JLight
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Anybody ever change the throttle?
04/05/13 at 17:09:23

I'm chopping an 87 savage and I want to do away with the switches. I'm hoping to use an aftermarket throttle from J&P Cycles. I think this is the one.
Part number : 5000707

I'm completely confused about getting the right throttle cable. Can anybody help?  Have any of you done anything like this?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Anybody ever change the throttle?
Reply #1 - 04/05/13 at 17:22:02

pretty much any throttle that is 1" diameter will work, mainly you want to look for ones that are just single cable,  but you can use the push pull type ones as well with your throttle cable just hooked up to the pull side of the throttle tube.

Going with a different housing though you will most likely have to get a custom cable made so that you can get the correct housing mount for the throttle cable and also the correct end for the carb.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/06/13 at 02:33:26

I just changed my throttle housing - but I am going to 7/8" bars and it is easy to find throttles.......not sure about the 1" bars.

If you know how to solder - You can get a thottle cable kit from Venhill and make your own cable.  The key is to use Acid Core solder and not Rosin core......the regular plumbing solder and flux works great on copper and brass but just doesn't work on steel.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 04/06/13 at 05:59:56

ANY 1" Harley throttle. I use one that was made to fit custom Panheads, Shovelheads and Knuckleheads. The cable for the housing is an oddball. I'm using a Honda throttle cable, it does not fit the housing correctly, but was the correct length. I deleted my handlebar switch boxes, but the throttle pipe itself worked perfectly with the stock switch box and cable.

With the 15" rise bars I have had for the last several years, I've used the Honda throttle cable and a VN800A clutch cable (currently a +4", but stock length would have been fine).

Same housing as you list, mine has a metal throttle tube. When you get it, take the housing and your stock cable to an independent bike shop. They can help you get the right cable. Maybe, since the throttle assembly is most likely Taiwanese, and even working in a bike shop with the entire Motion Pro cable catalog in stock, I could not get one to fit it...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
JLight
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/03/13 at 18:11:41

I ended up making an adaptor to fit the stock cable. 3/8" male to 12mm female. It just fits with the adjustment all the way loose.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 03:21:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anybody ever change the throttle?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.