Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I think I'm too rich (Read 134 times)
Jacob

2012 Suzuki S40 650

Ford City, PA
I think I'm too rich
04/05/13 at 15:25:55

I have a 2012 Suzuki S40. I have changed the muffler to a Harley Dyna muffler, no baffle. Stock airbox. I currently have a 152.5 main and a 52.5 pilot. I also removed the white washer on the needle and replaced it with all 3 washers I got with Lancers jet kit. Even with my mixture screw between 1 - 1 1/2 when I rev the engine alittle bit the rpms goes up then down below idle and then back to idle. When the rpms goes down under idle alittle bit of black smoke comes out the exhaust. I figured these jets would be the ones but am thinking I may have to go to a 150 main? Should I keep the pilot at 52.5? Any info would be great.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Re: I think I'm too rich
Reply #1 - 04/05/13 at 18:32:31

I have a K&N filter and stock exhaust. I raised the needle .030, put in a 55 pilot with the fuel screw turned out 1 and 3/4 turns, and a 147.5 main. The bikes runs really good with this setup.

I tried to stay with the stock 52.5 pilot but at 30 mph and light throttle it would surge and thats with the fuel screw turned out nearly three turns. I also had to leave the choke on a long time. Seems it took forever to warm up. Going to a 55 pilot solved having to leave the choke on a long time and cured the surging at light throttle.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #2 - 04/05/13 at 20:40:39

If you are too rich, can I have some money?

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/06/13 at 02:24:57

apache snow-FSO wrote on 04/05/13 at 18:32:31:
I have a K&N filter and stock exhaust. I raised the needle .030, put in a 55 pilot with the fuel screw turned out 1 and 3/4 turns, and a 147.5 main. The bikes runs really good with this setup.

I tried to stay with the stock 52.5 pilot but at 30 mph and light throttle it would surge and thats with the fuel screw turned out nearly three turns. I also had to leave the choke on a long time. Seems it took forever to warm up. Going to a 55 pilot solved having to leave the choke on a long time and cured the surging at light throttle.

I installed an O2 sensor and worked on my jetting.  I had a stock air cleaner and a Dyna muffler at the time.  I tried a 55 pilot and 152.5 main and started riding and adjusting.  After fussing around I ended up with a 150 main and a 50 pilot and the jetting was almost perfect.....but like yours it had a lean stumble just off idle and would surge.  I took one washer off the top of the needle so that I only had 2 washers, and this raised the needle.....and it runs reallllllly good.  The O2 sensor shows tha the mixture is really good at all throttle settings an the bike runs so much better.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 04/06/13 at 05:58:34

I think they are all a little different when it comes to carb tuning. Sometimes raising the needle to cure a too small pilot will make for a too rich mid range.

You will have to try different jets and needle settings to see what works for your bike and your location.

Right now I am satisfied with the way mine runs so I am leaving it alone for now.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/08/24 at 11:02:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I think I'm too rich

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.