Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Establishing a comfortable seat (Read 638 times)
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Re: Establishing a comfortable seat
Reply #15 - 04/05/13 at 21:18:57

rfw2003 wrote on 04/05/13 at 16:19:54:
Dane Allen wrote on 04/05/13 at 15:55:55:
Bubba wrote on 04/05/13 at 14:17:49:
Am I the only one here that doesn't have a problem with the stock seat?
I mean it's not like a lounge chair or anything but I can ride 75 miles without any problem...of course I usesd to ride a road bicycle with a hard plastic seat but i don't consider myself a harda$$... Grin

I also ride with my wallet in my front pocket tho'

I'm 6'2" and in the 260 range and from all I've read I expected problems but I seem to do ok too. Sometimes the knees want to "deploy" to the left and right but then I just stretch a bit and squeeze the tank with the knees. I can actaully sit on the passenger part of the seat but it feels as silly as it probably looks.

Any suggestions on extended forward controls? I may do the spacer option of raising the seat also. But I like the seat as is.

At 6'2" I would definitely go with Routy's 6" controls and not the shorter ones that Ed.L makes.  Your just 1" taller then me and the 6" ones feel great to me.

R.F.

Great, thanks!!!

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #16 - 04/05/13 at 21:30:32

Dane Allen wrote on 04/05/13 at 21:18:57:
I mean it's not like a lounge chair or anything but I can ride 75 miles without any problem...of course I usesd to ride a road bicycle with a hard plastic seat but i don't consider myself a harda$$... Grin

I'm 6'2" and in the 260 range and from all I've read I expected problems but I seem to do ok too. Sometimes the knees want to "deploy" to the left and right but then I just stretch a bit and squeeze the tank with the knees. I can actaully sit on the passenger part of the seat but it feels as silly as it probably looks.

Any suggestions on extended forward controls? I may do the spacer option of raising the seat also. But I like the seat as is.

At 6'2" I would definitely go with Routy's 6" controls and not the shorter ones that Ed.L makes.  Your just 1" taller then me and the 6" ones feel great to me.

R.F.

Great, thanks!!!

Anytime

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #17 - 04/05/13 at 22:17:38

Dane Allen wrote on 04/05/13 at 21:18:57:

R.F.

Great, thanks!!!

Paul, welcome to the forum.
+1 on both the Corbin and Routy's forward ciontrols. I am 6'2" and, together, they allowed me to ride the bike long distances without even thinking about the seat. Note the Corbin actually moved me an inch or two more forward than the stock seat so the forward controls became even more important.

Now with that said, the Corbin and a set of controls will set you back $450 or so. Several here have had good luck with the Air Hawk II. And one other thought. I have a C50 now and it is also has a reputation for an uncomfortable seat. One of the suggestions on the Volusia form that I have never noticed on this forum is wearing padded bicycle shorts under your riding gear. Several of the folks over there swear by them. It may be worth a shot.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
paulorlo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 04/06/13 at 02:45:41

Yesterday after work I went to the local hardware store and bought 4 rubber stoppers/ 2 stainless steel screws and two long bolts. I drilled out center holes in all 4 rubber stoppers, countersinking two of these holes so that the screw fasteners would not hit the bike frame. I added two stoppers to the front seat hold down tang, which raised it up another 1.5 inches and the other two stoppers to the under seat front rubber buttons. The seat now sits almost level instead of sloped forward. The two under seat front stoppers hit the frame at the exact height necessary to stabilize the front of the seat. The overall riding position feels better to me, but the real test will be just riding the bike to feel if there is an improvement. I also added a soft rubber insert to the two mounting tabs the hold the rear of the seat to the frame. I am 5'10"

IP Logged
NameNotInUse

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 04/09/13 at 09:37:45

Blinky-FSO wrote on 04/05/13 at 22:17:38:
Paul, welcome to the forum.
+1 on both the Corbin and Routy's forward ciontrols. I am 6'2" and, together, they allowed me to ride the bike long distances without even thinking about the seat. Note the Corbin actually moved me an inch or two more forward than the stock seat so the forward controls became even more important.

Now with that said, the Corbin and a set of controls will set you back $450 or so. Several here have had good luck with the Air Hawk II. And one other thought. I have a C50 now and it is also has a reputation for an uncomfortable seat. One of the suggestions on the Volusia form that I have never noticed on this forum is wearing padded bicycle shorts under your riding gear. Several of the folks over there swear by them. It may be worth a shot.

Good hunting

Not to hijack this thread either but with the Corbin, is it really a huge difference in seat position? I am short but I'm a bigger girl so being pushed forward is nearly a show stopper for me. I don't want my belly resting completely on the tank. I could lose the belly, I know, but I'm thinking I can buy a Corbin before that happens. Shocked

paulorlo wrote on 04/06/13 at 02:45:41:
Yesterday after work I went to the local hardware store and bought 4 rubber stoppers/ 2 stainless steel screws and two long bolts. I drilled out center holes in all 4 rubber stoppers, countersinking two of these holes so that the screw fasteners would not hit the bike frame. I added two stoppers to the front seat hold down tang, which raised it up another 1.5 inches and the other two stoppers to the under seat front rubber buttons. The seat now sits almost level instead of sloped forward. The two under seat front stoppers hit the frame at the exact height necessary to stabilize the front of the seat. The overall riding position feels better to me, but the real test will be just riding the bike to feel if there is an improvement. I also added a soft rubber insert to the two mounting tabs the hold the rear of the seat to the frame. I am 5'10"

You wouldn't happen to have pics to show that off, would you?

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #20 - 04/09/13 at 10:46:20

ot to hijack this thread either but with the Corbin, is it really a huge difference in seat position? I am short but I'm a bigger girl so being pushed forward is nearly a show stopper for me. I don't want my belly resting completely on the tank. I could lose the belly, I know, but I'm thinking I can buy a Corbin before that happens. Shocked

Name,
It is kind of hard to describe but the Corbin changes the sitting posture. With the bucket shaped seat, it lowers it a bit and rocks the hips back a bit. It does move you forward to make room for the lower back support.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #21 - 04/09/13 at 14:35:26

Pine:
5'7"
155lbs

Still using the stock seat .. though I had it re-covered with 2 types of foam .. one being memory foam. My a$$ still hurts after about 30 minutes. I have raised the front with the rubber stoppers. I have the shocks on softest setting. Bumps will knock your teeth out. Not sure whats up with that. Am I really to heavy for the soft setting?

Just seems harsh to spend $350 on a seat for an inexpensive bike.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 04/09/13 at 14:47:38

if it's bottoming out, go to the next knotch.

you can gain some additional travel (thus keeping a softer spring) by going to longer shocks.  Stock shocks have about 1.5" of travel.  11" progressives have about 2".

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #23 - 04/09/13 at 15:34:11

Pine wrote on 04/09/13 at 14:35:26:
Pine:
5'7"
155lbs

Still using the stock seat .. though I had it re-covered with 2 types of foam .. one being memory foam. My a$$ still hurts after about 30 minutes. I have raised the front with the rubber stoppers. I have the shocks on softest setting. Bumps will knock your teeth out. Not sure whats up with that. Am I really to heavy for the soft setting?

What density of memory foam did you use?

Also Memory foam takes awhile to break in and conform to your rear end.  Unless you used to low of a density of memory foam then you might as well of not used it to begin with.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
paulorlo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 04/09/13 at 15:38:58

I have attached some pictures of the modification. Thanks for your replies.

001_005.JPG
  IP Logged
paulorlo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 04/09/13 at 15:40:29

The seat now sits more level.

003_002.JPG
  IP Logged
paulorlo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 04/10/13 at 07:26:59

When I bought the bike three years ago, it had been hit by a large tree branch that damaged the gas tank and handle bars along with assorted other parts. So instead of replacing the gas tank, I made a tank bra to cover the damaged area.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #27 - 04/10/13 at 08:10:10

Sheepskin covers..any thoughts on how to do.  Picked one up at Ikea the other year, but since they need to be removable, any thoughts on how to make it so (as the good CPT Kirk) used to say. Huh

Make the front a sleeve to slid over the "pommel" but how to connect sides and back....??

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #28 - 04/10/13 at 11:23:23

rfw2003 wrote on 04/09/13 at 15:34:11:
Pine wrote on 04/09/13 at 14:35:26:
Pine:
5'7"
155lbs

What density of memory foam did you use?

Also Memory foam takes awhile to break in and conform to your rear end.  Unless you used to low of a density of memory foam then you might as well of not used it to begin with.

R.F.

dunno what kind of memory foam... I had it proffessionaly by a guy that normally does boat seats. It was blue. Dont think that tells one much..

actually it does seem like the seat is breaking in some... though I wish i had known that sooner.. its breaking in in the middle!

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #29 - 04/11/13 at 15:19:42

Here is how I made my seat more comfortable.

It came from a V Star, I think, made a bracket, not too much trouble.  It is a lot more comfortable.

20130411_180225.jpg

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:19:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Establishing a comfortable seat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.