Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Establishing a comfortable seat (Read 638 times)
paulorlo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Establishing a comfortable seat
04/05/13 at 12:44:51

Well I am a proud owner of a 1997 Suzuki Savage. My problem is that my sits bones, or more specifically the tissue around those bones becomes painful after a small ride (15 miles or more). I have added a gel pad with foam cover underneath the original seat cover. The front of the seat has the nylon spacers added to raise the front of the seat higher. I plan to check tire pressure to match factory single rider specifications. I have adjusted the rear shocks to the softest setting.
Am I alone in this problem and has anyone else come up with a solution?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Establishing a comfortable seat
Reply #1 - 04/05/13 at 12:55:42

My solution as well as a few others here was to get the Corbin seat.  yes it cost some coin but it's well worth it.

Others adapt the HD sportster seat to the savage with some luck making it more comfy as well as other seats from different bikes. There are also those that have stripped the factory padding off the stock seat and totally redo it and the covering to try and make a more comfy seat as well.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/05/13 at 13:33:10

15 mile ride is all that it takes?

How tall are you?

Tall riders tend to have long legs, the higher your knees are, the more rolled back your pelvis is, placing more pressure on your tailbone.

Sometimes a relief in the padding in this area can help.

or you can get extended controls that'll stretch out your legs and lower your knees.

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 04/05/13 at 13:42:22

verslagen1 wrote on 04/05/13 at 13:33:10:
15 mile ride is all that it takes?

How tall are you?

Tall riders tend to have long legs, the higher your knees are, the more rolled back your pelvis is, placing more pressure on your tailbone.

Sometimes a relief in the padding in this area can help.

or you can get extended controls that'll stretch out your legs and lower your knees.

Yeah I totally forgot to mention that.  That was another thing I had to add as well.  I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam so I went with 6" fwd controls with as well as the Corbin seat.  Man what a difference it made.
I was in the same situation as the OP was, 15 to 20 miles was all it took before the rear end started to get sore then numb spots, before I made the changes.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 04/05/13 at 13:52:04

paulorlo wrote on 04/05/13 at 12:44:51:
Well I am a proud owner of a 1997 Suzuki Savage. My problem is that my sits bones, or more specifically the tissue around those bones becomes painful after a small ride (15 miles or more). I have added a gel pad with foam cover underneath the original seat cover. The front of the seat has the nylon spacers added to raise the front of the seat higher. I plan to check tire pressure to match factory single rider specifications. I have adjusted the rear shocks to the softest setting.
Am I alone in this problem and has anyone else come up with a solution?

I would take out those nylon spacers,that puts you back in one place, And you can't move around on the seat.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/05/13 at 13:56:10

The advantage to adapting another seat (HD or otherwise) is that it raises the rider, in effect lowering the knees.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 04/05/13 at 14:17:49

Am I the only one here that doesn't have a problem with the stock seat?
I mean it's not like a lounge chair or anything but I can ride 75 miles without any problem...of course I usesd to ride a road bicycle with a hard plastic seat but i don't consider myself a harda$$... Grin

I also ride with my wallet in my front pocket tho'

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #7 - 04/05/13 at 14:36:01

Bubba wrote on 04/05/13 at 14:17:49:
I mean it's not like a lounge chair or anything but I can ride 75 miles without any problem...of course I usesd to ride a road bicycle with a hard plastic seat but i don't consider myself a harda$$... Grin

I'm only 5'9" with a 30" inseam and don't have any problems with the stock seat. I have raised the front of mine about 1" and added 4" forward controls. Still not like I'm going to ride 300+ miles a day, but I'll do 100+ without problems.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 04/05/13 at 14:42:34

EJID...I only have a 32" inseam and I've been thinking about the forwards.
To me, it seems as if that would put even more of my weight directly on the seat (sometimes I stick my legs out over the pegs to see what it would feel like).
As it is now I can at least stand on the pegs a little if I pull myself up on the bars...I'm afraid that if I get too stretched out I'll just be bouncing up and down on the seat more...
yes/no?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 04/05/13 at 15:04:07

Bubba wrote on 04/05/13 at 14:42:34:
EJID...I only have a 32" inseam and I've been thinking about the forwards.
To me, it seems as if that would put even more of my weight directly on the seat (sometimes I stick my legs out over the pegs to see what it would feel like).
As it is now I can at least stand on the pegs a little if I pull myself up on the bars...I'm afraid that if I get too stretched out I'll just be bouncing up and down on the seat more...
yes/no?

Not trying to hijack the thread, but when I first put on the extended controls I felt like my legs were almost straight out there  Embarrassed but after riding with them for a short while I got used to them and now I really prefer them  Cool I would add them again in a heartbeat  Smiley

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
MileHiRider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, Colorado
Reply #10 - 04/05/13 at 15:06:43

Has anyone tried a sheep-skin or similar type pad on the stock seat?
I'm 5' 10" the bike fits me fine, the stock seat just isn't comfortable
after 30 min. or so. I can't afford a Corbin seat, which seems to be
the only option.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 04/05/13 at 15:27:49

I brought a polypropylene airhawk off EBAY$79US, I believe it helps a little but I'm still sorting it. In theory I will be doing a 600 odd mile trip later this month and may be able to comment better when I get back. I had a few shoulder and possibly back issues before I returned to motorcycling about 5 years ago. I fell things badly after 100 miles or so and haven't ridden much over one hundred and fifty miles in a day.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #12 - 04/05/13 at 15:55:55

I'm 6'2" and in the 260 range and from all I've read I expected problems but I seem to do ok too. Sometimes the knees want to "deploy" to the left and right but then I just stretch a bit and squeeze the tank with the knees. I can actaully sit on the passenger part of the seat but it feels as silly as it probably looks.

Any suggestions on extended forward controls? I may do the spacer option of raising the seat also. But I like the seat as is.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 04/05/13 at 16:19:54

Dane Allen wrote on 04/05/13 at 15:55:55:

I'm 6'2" and in the 260 range and from all I've read I expected problems but I seem to do ok too. Sometimes the knees want to "deploy" to the left and right but then I just stretch a bit and squeeze the tank with the knees. I can actaully sit on the passenger part of the seat but it feels as silly as it probably looks.

Any suggestions on extended forward controls? I may do the spacer option of raising the seat also. But I like the seat as is.

At 6'2" I would definitely go with Routy's 6" controls and not the shorter ones that Ed.L makes.  Your just 1" taller then me and the 6" ones feel great to me.

R.F.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #14 - 04/05/13 at 20:39:37

MileHiRider wrote on 04/05/13 at 15:06:43:
Has anyone tried a sheep-skin or similar type pad on the stock seat?
I'm 5' 10" the bike fits me fine, the stock seat just isn't comfortable
after 30 min. or so. I can't afford a Corbin seat, which seems to be
the only option.

I am a big fan of sheepskin seat covers.  However, you can not leave them on the bike.  I have also shaved a few seats and put in softer foam covered in poly batting...  Almost as good a sheepskin and more care free.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:27:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Establishing a comfortable seat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.