Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New here, and new to the Savage (Read 271 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: New here, and new to the Savage
Reply #15 - 04/06/13 at 21:33:17

Handbook says max speed in gears for a run in bike is 1st 35 mph, 2nd 55mph, 3rd 75 mph, 4th 90mph. Some of these speeds might be a bit theoretical.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #16 - 04/07/13 at 06:24:11

dkruitz wrote on 04/05/13 at 14:12:24:
I've since found the Owner's Manual on here and it says 2.5 qts of oil, but I know I used just under 2 with a filter change to bring the oil to the upper mark on the sight glass with the bike standing upright.  I'm OK right?

Hi dkruitz. As long as it is in between the marks you are ok. The reason it took less than 2 qts is that you didn't get all the oil out. The oil gets hung up in the crank halves and side covers. If you want to get it all or actually most of it out you have to tip the bike to one side quite a bit, hold for a few seconds, then come back to upright and let it drain a bit. Then do the same in the other direction. Also there is a well in the cylinder head under the cam shaft that holds about a 1/4 cup and you would have to lay the bike down to get that out. Roll Eyes Not worth it!

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
dkruitz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Braunfels, TX
Reply #17 - 04/07/13 at 08:48:54

87 savage wrote on 04/06/13 at 18:15:32:
dkruitz wrote on 04/05/13 at 10:45:03:
Here's a photo after the first wash and polish.  I'm not crazy about the purple, but it's growing on me.

Thanks,
Dan

What?? That purple rocks! Although I am a little biased as I have an 87 that is purple, one of the stock colors in 87. Ironically it's called "Suzuki Blue"

Ha - I think my year's purple is called Plum Crazy - not sure.  
So far the Pirelli MT66's seem to be a good candidate - good reviews, and economical.  I guess I can always step up to the Metzlers if they're warranted later.

I changed the brake oil - piece of cake - very rewarding.

And my first oops - I filled the tank to the neck with it leaning to the left, and promptly leaked gas all over with the cap on.  Sad  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 04/07/13 at 09:05:49

Yea, the tube that goes down from the cap is the guide there. Mine leaked even when I stopped there, even if I stood the thing up it would occasionally spit some. Now, I stand it up, fill it up to the bottom of that tube, hang the hose up,cap it, slosh the gas a bit. I also took the cap apart & put a thin, hard plastic shim under the rubber seal & taped off the filler & used a sanding block to make sure the sealing lip was a flat surface. It wasnt,,not when I started, anyway. Even with all that, an overfill will still make a mess. Gasoline on skin, especially soft stuff, like a thigh, in pants that will hold the gas a while, is a very bad thing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:52:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New here, and new to the Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.