Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New here, and new to the Savage (Read 271 times)
dkruitz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Braunfels, TX
New here, and new to the Savage
04/05/13 at 10:45:03

I'd been lurking on here a couple of months while I investigated several models and kept coming back to the Savage.  On Sunday I bought a 2004 with under 2,500 miles on it.  I'm going over it all now and want to see about some of the members' upgrades to parts (cam chain tensioner, etc) and have some questions too.

Was the infamous head plug leak fixed by 10/03?

One thing I do miss is a tachometer, and since I don't have a manual didn't know what the shift points are - I haven't spotted them on here yet either.  Recommendations?

Also, I'm shopping for tires - though they're in good shape, they've got a date code of "2403" - original to the bike.  How are the Pirelli MT66 treads?

Here's a photo after the first wash and polish.  I'm not crazy about the purple, but it's growing on me.

Thanks,
Dan
« Last Edit: 04/05/13 at 12:23:17 by dkruitz »  

IMG807sm.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: New here, and new to the Savage
Reply #1 - 04/05/13 at 10:54:34

Welcome to the site....and to the Savage side of life.

Don't worry about the plug leak....unless it starts leaking.  It will let you know when it is time.

Just ride the thing and you will learn when to shift.  There is no need to wind it out for no reason, when the revs get too high you will feel the bike stop accelerating.  A tach.....not really a necessity as your ears will soon learn when it is time to shift.

Tires......Somebody else will have to help you on that.....or use the search function  and see what was posted earlier.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #2 - 04/05/13 at 10:58:23

Howdy and a Big welcome to the Best Savage/S40 forums on the InterWeb there is.

As for the shift points depends on how your riding it,  if you looking for the fastest acceleration shift when you start to fell the power drop off.  If you looking for just a nice ride,  shift pretty much when ever, just don't lug the engine.

I myself use the RT66 tires and love them.   If you are on the heavier side or like riding 2 up then you may have to replace a few of the fender rail bolts mainly on the left side of the bike with button head bolts instead of the stock bolts, because when the shock is nearing the 3/4 to full compression the tire will rub on 1 or 2 of the stock fender rail bolts. but that goes for any rear tire that is the 140/90 size. Also that size tire seems to make the speedo read more accurate to the real speed your actually going.

2 other upgrades that are well worth the bucks to spend on are 412 series metric cruiser shocks of around 11" to 12" length and also a seat upgrade as the stock seat sucks big time for longer rides. I recommend to spend your coin on a Corbin seat it's well worth the money and your butt and back will definitely thank you once it's broken in.

The last thing or should I say the first thing you should upgrade is the muffler to a HD Dyna muffler and then re-jet your carb properly so that it's not running lean like it is in stock form, and the Dyna muffler will just make it run even leaner.

That's all I can think of right now.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/05/13 at 11:44:53

Dave wrote on 04/05/13 at 10:54:34:
Don't worry about the plug leak....unless it starts leaking.  It will let you know when it is time.

+1 on the plug, don't fix what is not broken and not all of them develop the leak.

The only solution I have for your purple problem is to only ride it at night, very late at night: with no moon.  Cool

Welcome and good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 04/05/13 at 11:57:01

Welcome dkruitz!   I hope you enjoy the bike even just half as much as most of us do  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
paulorlo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/05/13 at 12:50:35

+1 for the seat issue, welcome .

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 04/05/13 at 13:57:13

dkruitz wrote on 04/05/13 at 10:45:03:
I'd been lurking on here a couple of months while I investigated several models and kept coming back to the Savage.  On Sunday I bought a 2004 with under 2,500 miles on it.  I'm going over it all now and want to see about some of the members' upgrades to parts (cam chain tensioner, etc) and have some questions too.

Was the infamous head plug leak fixed by 10/03?

One thing I do miss is a tachometer, and since I don't have a manual didn't know what the shift points are - I haven't spotted them on here yet either.  Recommendations?

Also, I'm shopping for tires - though they're in good shape, they've got a date code of "2403" - original to the bike.  How are the Pirelli MT66 treads?

Here's a photo after the first wash and polish.  I'm not crazy about the purple, but it's growing on me.

Thanks,
Dan

I put the Pirelli route 66 on,And was surprise how much better they ride.They handle really good and the cracks in the pavement don't affect them.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
dkruitz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Braunfels, TX
Reply #7 - 04/05/13 at 14:12:24

I've since found the Owner's Manual on here and it says 2.5 qts of oil, but I know I used just under 2 with a filter change to bring the oil to the upper mark on the sight glass with the bike standing upright.  I'm OK right?

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 04/05/13 at 14:12:42

+1 on the Pirelli's...i really like mine...

cam chain tensioner doesn't need to be done for a while but buy one and save it for when ya need it...

seat lift mod is great if you're poor...keeps ya from sliding forward...

exhaust mod is easy too and then ya get to work on the carb and jets which is intimidating at first but really pretty easy if you have any mechanical abilty...
when you do work on the carb buy some stainless allen key bolts to replace the jis (phillips but not really) screws...they strip

can't think of anything else right now...just ride it!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 04/05/13 at 15:22:57

Welcome!

Like everybody else said.  Ride and enjoy.  
I, myself, have no problem with the stock seat.  My problem is more with the bullhorn handlebars.  They make my carpal tunnel act up and hands go numb in about half an hour.

I just got mine back at Thanksgiving so not a lot of road time on it yet.  The change to the Dyna muff was already done and the jetting as well.  Runs great...lots of good rumble too.  Mine's got 23,000 on it. So, they are good, long-lasting bikes.  Just take reasonable care of it and it'll give you lots of miles of fun.

Steve

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 04/05/13 at 17:10:56

Many will argue that a tach is not important on these bikes, however I like one and got one off EBAY for about $60US. My one recommendation, if you get an analogue one, is to get white face black dial as these are probably easier to read at night. It's ok and necessary to have a dual fire one. If you want to spend up, Baron Bullet make fancy ones. If you want digital there is a Vapor Trail thingy that does other things as well as being a tach.I had mine mounted on the left side of the bar, others have them on the bar/riser clamps. The clamp mounting may be a little more prone to vibration. There is a post in the tech section on tachs known to work on the Savage /S40, you will have to scroll through the posts to find it. Toesnose and Ralphyguy have posted pics of their tach mountings.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
dkruitz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Braunfels, TX
Reply #11 - 04/05/13 at 20:03:20

I'll have to keep an eye on the HD mufflers - I spotted a load of them at a local metal recycling center a couple years ago - the local dealer might have some for me.  And a re-jet should be very doable.  My first project was a '71 CB500 - got it running but 4 carbs was a PITA.  I like one now. Smiley

Oh, and the petcock replacement is in the works.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #12 - 04/05/13 at 20:47:58

I love the Metzlers.  They last longer than most tires and ride very well, and I have a new set on my Marauder after wearing out the old set.  But Aida does not do near the miles I do, so I got her the Pirelli MT66s.  I was very impressed.  Specifically how the tires no longer ride the pavement groves like they used to.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 04/06/13 at 09:40:39

YOur tire choice will likely go thru changes. Quality is always good, but, if you dont ride enough miles per year, your investment wont get used, it'll rot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #14 - 04/06/13 at 18:15:32

dkruitz wrote on 04/05/13 at 10:45:03:

Thanks,
Dan

What?? That purple rocks! Although I am a little biased as I have an 87 that is purple, one of the stock colors in 87. Ironically it's called "Suzuki Blue"

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 08:58:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New here, and new to the Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.