Send Topic Print
Demolition Saw (Read 229 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Re: Demolition Saw
Reply #15 - 04/05/13 at 15:42:04

thanks RF,but my mechanical knowhow is limited. since i sprayed carb cleaner into the intake the throttle is very responsive.i cleaned the air filter too. i just can't tear the carb apart.any further suggestions would be appreciated.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #16 - 04/05/13 at 16:02:48

bill67 wrote on 04/05/13 at 15:38:32:
Ruff Ruff how many motorcycles and snowmobiles have you owned.

Motorcycles over the years probably 20, snowmobiles 0 I live in TX
things that use 2 stroke engines I couldn't even begin to estimate how many I've owned.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #17 - 04/05/13 at 16:12:40

rl153 wrote on 04/05/13 at 15:42:04:
thanks RF,but my mechanical knowhow is limited. since i sprayed carb cleaner into the intake the throttle is very responsive.i cleaned the air filter too. i just can't tear the carb apart.any further suggestions would be appreciated.

well pour in cleaners which are just diluted solvents and external sprays without tearing it apart can only do so much for cleaning.  Those any position carbs are actually very simple to rebuild.   If you take it in to one of the small engine repair shops, they can identify which carb it is, and get you the right kit for it.  Just take your time while pulling it apart and either take pics or draw diagrams to help put it back together.  also alot the the rebuild kits include instructions with them.

The shop can also tell you which mixture screw is for the high speed circuit and which is for the low speed circuit, and what the base setting to start with should be.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #18 - 04/05/13 at 16:55:57

I have been waiting for years for someone to devise a repeatable test for SeaFoam and other comparable additives. Personally, I think they are useless despite the apocryphal stories of the magical cures wrought by them. I suggest you type into your favorite search engine the term "MSDS" and your favorite product. In the case of SeaFoam you will find it contains naptha (lighter fluid); Pale Oil (SAE 20 oil); and isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Which of those three do you think is a better solvent than plain old gasoline?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #19 - 04/05/13 at 21:00:09

Charon wrote on 04/05/13 at 16:55:57:
I have been waiting for years for someone to devise a repeatable test for SeaFoam and other comparable additives. Personally, I think they are useless despite the apocryphal stories of the magical cures wrought by them. I suggest you type into your favorite search engine the term "MSDS" and your favorite product. In the case of SeaFoam you will find it contains naptha (lighter fluid); Pale Oil (SAE 20 oil); and isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Which of those three do you think is a better solvent than plain old gasoline?

Does not have to be better, just different.  Water is called the universal solvent, but not for glass.  But hydrofloric acid will dissolve glass, but not plastic.

I have been working on engines for many years, and have a LOT of friends in the business.  The two that are consistently mentioned, but for different applications, are Techron and SeaFoam.  (Techron is gold for mechanical injection pumps, like in the 80s Bosch FI systems)  As far as apocryphal stories, how many does it take to be evidence based knowledge?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 04/06/13 at 02:55:25

OK......I was going to avoid posting on this again....as I believe that trying to run this engine without cleaning the carb is a huge mistake....however I will tell you how to adjust the carb on a 2 cycle engine.  (And so that Bill believe my credentials I have worked on chainsaws since 1973,  and I currently own 3.  I have probably repaired a couple of hundred chainsaws, along with 2 cycle tillers. hedge clippers and weed wackers.  Most of the problems have been from sitting with old fuel in them, as these are seasonal use items and sit more then they are ever used).  

A 2 cycle engine needs to run rich when no load is on the engine, and it will run cleanly when a load is applied.  The sound you are looking for is called a "burble" or "4 stroking" in the trade.  If the engine currently is running - just start with the current settings on the carb.  There will be 3 screws and one should be marked (L) which is the low speed mix, one should be marked (H) which is the high speed mix, and the idle speed may not be marked or might be marked (A).  You should adjust the idle mix just like you do for a 4 stroke engine....you turn the screw in until the engine speed drops, then back it out until the speed increases and then just a bit more until you hear the engine tone change to rich.....then turn the screw back in until the engine runs smoothly again.  Then adjusting the high speed screw is painful, as it requires that you run the engine with the throttle wide open.....although it doesn't have to be very long.  The engine should not run smooth at full throttle with no load.....it should run rich and hav a "burble" sound.  You can pull full throttle and adjust the (H) screw in until the engine speeds up - then adjust the screw out until the engine just starts to burble and run rich.  The engine should have this sound until you put the saw into some wood and start cutting under a load.  Small branches and light loads should still have a bit of a burbling sound -but when you start cutting with a good load the engine should run clean and strong.

Here is a link to a the adjustment from Madsen's, which is a very reputable shop.  The page includes sound clips for the idle adjustment and for the high speed adjustment.  You can hear what the sound should be when adjusted correctly.
http://www.madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm

« Last Edit: 04/06/13 at 17:36:44 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #21 - 04/06/13 at 08:39:49

Thanks Dave, I appreciate it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 04/07/13 at 08:36:07

I, Too, thot "All fuel additives are created equal. None do a thing."
Then, I poured Sea Foam into my back hoe. It was making a hard clacking sound that made me think something was gonna come thru the block, but, I knew it was an injector. In about 5 minutes, the sound was much diminished. After that, when I fueled up, if I forgot to add it, it would clack. I recently had the injectors re-worked & no longer need the Sea Foam, but I have some around, because it works.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 04/07/13 at 13:53:53

JOG.  I am not opposed to SeaFoam, Lucas and other type fuel system cleaners while the engine is still running and the fuel system is relatively clean.  I am opposed to using it as a cure all.  One member here last week suggested a fellow use it in his bike that had actually "stopped" running and would no longer start...and later we discovered the fuel tank was rusty and had holes in it.  I am also opposed to using it in a chainsaw that has sat for an unkown length of time and more than likely needs the diaphragms in the carb replaced.  A 2 cycle engine cannot run lean for very long.....the fuel/oil mix is the lubricant and when it runs lean......it can sieze very quickly.

If someone wants to use SeaFoam or another cleaner in an attempt to freshen up their fuel system or try and cure a recently acquired symptom......it is probably a cheap fix if it works.  I don't believe is a cure all....and cleaning the fuel system is a sure fire way to get rid of any junk that has gotten into your fuel system. You just need to consider the symptoms and condition before you dump the SeaFoam into the tank.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #24 - 04/07/13 at 14:00:46

Dave wrote on 04/07/13 at 13:53:53:
JOG.  I am not opposed to SeaFoam, Lucas and other type fuel system cleaners while the engine is still running and the fuel system is relatively clean.  I am opposed to using it as a cure all.  One member here last week suggested a fellow use it in his bike that had actually "stopped" running and would no longer start...and later we discovered the fuel tank was rusty and had holes in it.  I am also opposed to using it in a chainsaw that has sat for an unkown length of time and more than likely needs the diaphragms in the carb replaced.  A 2 cycle engine cannot run lean for very long.....the fuel/oil mix is the lubricant and when it runs lean......it can sieze very quickly.

If someone wants to use SeaFoam or another cleaner in an attempt to freshen up their fuel system or try and cure a recently acquired symptom......it is probably a cheap fix if it works.  I don't believe is a cure all....and cleaning the fuel system is a sure fire way to get rid of any junk that has gotten into your fuel system. You just need to consider the symptoms and condition before you dump the SeaFoam into the tank.

That's what I've been trying to relay as well,  fuel additives/Oil additives are maintenance items to be used on something that is still running, They are not a magical liquid that will make a non-running engine run properly or fix a mechanical issue that requires you to replace parts.

I myself in my cages use a fuel cleaner additive once a month to keep the injectors clean.  I will not go into brands here but it's not SeaFoam as I refuse to pay that kind of price for something that will do the same job and is made of the same exact stuff for a much lesser cost.

R.F.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 04/07/13 at 14:29:21

Come on RFW tell us what your using,I don't think $7 a can is a lot for something that will make a motor start that want start.And it only takes a ounce or so.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:37:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › Demolition Saw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.