Send Topic Print
Demolition Saw (Read 229 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Demolition Saw
04/04/13 at 14:46:33

I have a homelite DM 40 demolition saw. Its 2 cycle  16:1 gas mix . Its from the 90s. It idles ok, a little smokey, but when you press the gas trigger it dies.I don't know much about it ,someone gave it to me ,but I was able to download the manual.I put new gas in and some seafoam. Any other suggestions? Someone said the float was stuck .Thanks!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Demolition Saw
Reply #1 - 04/04/13 at 15:16:40

When you put Sea Foam in it takes some time for it to work.try again in couple hours,then again,Then in the morning if it doesn't run.If it has a choke put it on 1/2 choke when you give it the gas.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #2 - 04/04/13 at 17:03:08

Thanks Bill!I might have left the choke on without realizing it. I'll check it tomorrow.

« Last Edit: 04/04/13 at 18:27:04 by rl153 »  
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #3 - 04/04/13 at 18:52:47

rl it's the ethanol in the gas causing your problem. With luck,the seafoam will get you through but I'm betting you'll have to strip the carb down and give it a deep cleaning. What's happening is the main fuel circuit is clogged and can't deliver enough fuel to match the air when you hammer the throttle. Our techs see that exact issue at least 10-12 times every week on 2-stroke equipment.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 04/04/13 at 19:58:09

Check the air filter before you tear it down completely (If you can check it without tearing it down completely.) You may have a mud cake piece of crud in the shape of a foam filter.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/05/13 at 03:43:09

I doubt that the carb has a float.  Chainsaws have to run right side up and sideways....carbs with floats can't do that.  The carb has a diaphragm fuel pump and a diaphragm to control the fuel flow with a needle and seat......and these gum up and/or become stiff when the saw sits with fuel in it for extended period of time.

Don't screw around with SeaFoam or even try to run the saw with old fuel and a cruddy carb.  A 2 cycle engine is lubricated by the fuel/oil mix and if you run it lean it will not get enough lubrication and can sieze the piston.

You also don't need to run a 16:1 oil mix anymore.  That was written o in the days that we used to just dump 30 weight non detergent oil in the gasoline and makes lots of smoke while cutting.  Today the modern 2 cycle oils are much improvecd and a 50:1 synthetic mix oil will work just fine in that saw when the carb is repaired.

Listen to ZAR....he repairs these things for a living, and I did the same 35 years ago.  The majority of saw repairs are done because the saws just sit for years between use.  When you are done using the saw and you are not going to use it for a while, dump the fuel out of the tank, then start the saw and let it idle until it runs out of fuel.  The factory manuals advise you to do that if you are not going to use the saw for more than 2 months.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 04/05/13 at 05:33:06

Dave sorry Sea Foam didn't work for you.Every one I know use it and have good luck with it. I've never drained the gas tank on and vehicle or machinery.And being in the construction business over the years I've Had a lot of 4 and 2 cycle motors and diesels.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/05/13 at 05:40:45

bill67 wrote on 04/05/13 at 05:33:06:
Dave sorry Sea Foam didn't work for you.Every one I know use it and have good luck with it. I've never drained the gas tank on and vehicle or machinery.And being in the construction business over the years I've Had a lot of 4 and 2 cycle motors and diesels.

SeaFoam might work to clean up some things - but it won't work on hardened diaprhagms.  Running a 2 cycle engine lean while tryig to clean out the carb is not a good idea, as a lean running 2 cycle engine will not get enough oil and can be damaged.  It is not worth the risk.  Sometimes you just have to do the right thing and make a proper repair.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 04/05/13 at 05:46:31

The saw probably has a  Tillitson pumper carb on it, no float as Dave said. They are pretty easy to rebuild if you can find the gasket sets, I used to run Tilly's in the modified class for gokarts. If it smokes pull the muffler and see if it is loaded up with carbon. I  had a chain saw the drove me nuts with that problem. Change the plug, two strokes hate dirty spark plugs. Since the saw is old I would inspect the fuel lines, the ethanol gas does funny things to them and can erode the inside of the tubing.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 04/05/13 at 05:56:03

Dave wrote on 04/05/13 at 05:40:45:
bill67 wrote on 04/05/13 at 05:33:06:

SeaFoam might work to clean up some things - but it won't work on hardened diaprhagms.  Running a 2 cycle engine lean while tryig to clean out the carb is not a good idea, as a lean running 2 cycle engine will not get enough oil and can be damaged.  It is not worth the risk.  Sometimes you just have to do the right thing and make a proper repair.

Sea Foam has oil in it and its recommended for 4 and 2 stoke engines. I live in a boating and snowmobile area and a lot of them are 2 cycles and people here use Sea Foam.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #10 - 04/05/13 at 06:16:24

I put like  1/3 ounce of seafoam to a pint of gas. that's a little more than called for on the can . Should I have used more or less? Also, if I used a 16:1 fuel /oil mix and ,will that be a problem?Thanks everyone for the great answers.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 04/05/13 at 06:24:19

rl153 wrote on 04/05/13 at 06:16:24:
I put like a 1/3 ounce of seafoam to a pint of gas. that's a little more than called for on the can . Should I have used more or less? Also, if I used a 16:1 fuel /oil mix and ,will that be a problem?Thanks everyone for the great answers.

Thats about the right amount of Sea Foam,If it says 16-1 thats what I would use.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #12 - 04/05/13 at 14:26:00

I changed the plug and sprayed carb cleaner in the air intake . At full throttle it runs strong, but now it wont idle . There is an idle screw a lo screw and a hi screw on the carb,How do you adjust these screws to make it idle . I tried turning the idle screw all the way in ,clockwise ,but it still doesn't idle .I think I'm almost there. Thanks!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 04/05/13 at 15:12:11

Don't listen to bill67 on the Snake oil cure all of SeaFoam,  Do the right thing and pull the carb and clean it properly and replace any hoses that have become brittle or are starting to deteriorate.  Your clunk pickup also sometimes it's a stone type filter for the clunk pickup may also need to be changed as well in the fuel tank.

bill67 thinks seafoam and klotz oil will magically cure anything when it comes to engines, he even claims that if you use them you will never have to change your oil.  Roll Eyes

If something like that had truly been invented all other brands would now be non-existent and engines would last forever, which we all know is not true.

If after cleaning your carb and adjusting it properly plus the air filter cleaning if it's foam or replacing if it's pleated paper, it still doesn't run properly then your issue could be a little more involved meaning the reed valve has gotten stiff or cracked, which could cause the same symptoms.  I had this happen on a weed eater type engine once that I had converted to glow fuel for use on large scale R/C airplanes.  It's a fairly simple fix but you gotta tear down the engine to replace the reed valve.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 04/05/13 at 15:38:32

Ruff Ruff how many motorcycles and snowmobiles have you owned.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:35:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Demolition Saw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.