Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem 2 - Trouble Starting (Read 127 times)
Doody814

Murfreesboro, TN
Problem 2 - Trouble Starting
04/02/13 at 06:36:53

So in addition to "Problem 1" (which I've posted separately), I also am having trouble getting it started.

After installing new handlebars, I fired it up and went for a quick test ride.  I stopped at the store, two miles away, and it wouldn't start.

It was in neutral, clutch in, kickstand down, pushed the button...and nothing.  After putting it in gear & back in neutral, squeezing the clutch, turning the key on & off, and everything else I could think of...several times, it finally hit.

I cruised on back home, turned it off, tried to start it again...nothing!  I did all of the above, yet again, several times, and it started.

It seems as though there is a loose connection on a wire somewhere, or a switch going bad, or something.  I've got a feeling it's something silly, that I'm missing, but I'll be danged if I could find it!  Anyone run into this before?  Any suggestions?

Sometimes when you've looked at everything, the problem ends up being the loose nut on the seat!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Problem 2 - Trouble Starting
Reply #1 - 04/02/13 at 06:56:26

If youve had the tank off, for sure have a look at the connector under it. If not, have a look anyway. Ive known of one case where the darn thing just worked loose,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #2 - 04/02/13 at 06:56:56

try checking the connections on the clutch safety switch, there is a wire that plugs into that switch and if its even slightly loose, it wont turn over.  I had to replace the switch on mine when I bought it.  hope this helps and good luck!     PS the switch is located on the bottom of the clutch perch Wink

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Doody814

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #3 - 04/02/13 at 07:08:41

savagerider87 wrote on 04/02/13 at 06:56:56:
try checking the connections on the clutch safety switch...

Now that you mention it, I noticed the safety clip on the connector was broken when I unplugged it.  I'll try fiddling with it, to see if that's what it is.  Thanks!

Sometimes when you've looked at everything, the problem ends up being the loose nut on the seat!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 04/02/13 at 07:11:32

YOu can jumper that pair of wires for testing purposes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/02/13 at 07:19:19

In all this you didn't mention trying the kickstand
If it's up, it will start in gear, so be carefull.

WWW   IP Logged
Doody814

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #6 - 04/02/13 at 09:40:16

verslagen1 wrote on 04/02/13 at 07:19:19:
In all this you didn't mention trying the kickstand
If it's up, it will start in gear, so be carefull.

Yeah, I tried it up & down, clutch in & out, in neutral & out, kill switch on & off, eyes crossed, tongue out, you name it! Grin

It would hit for a split second, then miss, then finally hit again & start.  It acted like a short, that's why I'm thinking it's that clutch switch...I'm going to start there, when I get home.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/02/13 at 09:50:42

check you got the connectors on right, very easy to miss the spade with the socket and still look ok cause of the cover.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/02/13 at 17:11:48

Snotta "short" its a lousy connection. Could be on the battery, could be a ground on the case, That Hit & miss thing sounds just like a connection thats Aaaaalmost okay,, but resistive. Current thru it creates heat, increasing resistance.

IP Logged
Doody814

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #9 - 04/03/13 at 06:52:31

So, I started fiddling with the clutch switch, and it looked like it was solid, and making good contact.  I began squeezing the lever to see when the switch engaged and disengaged, and I noticed that it never seemed to disengage!

Out of all the things I looked at, it never occured to me that when I replaced the bars, I also replaced the grips...which are larger Dia!  When I pulled in the lever, it contacted the grip before the switch disengaged.  A little minor adjustment later, and Viola!!!

Sometimes when you've looked at everything, the problem ends up being a loose nut on the seat! Grin
Thanks for all the help guys!

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #10 - 04/03/13 at 19:58:49

Doody814 wrote on 04/03/13 at 06:52:31:
So, I started fiddling with the clutch switch, and it looked like it was solid, and making good contact.  I began squeezing the lever to see when the switch engaged and disengaged, and I noticed that it never seemed to disengage!

Out of all the things I looked at, it never occured to me that when I replaced the bars, I also replaced the grips...which are larger Dia!  When I pulled in the lever, it contacted the grip before the switch disengaged.  A little minor adjustment later, and Viola!!!

Sometimes when you've looked at everything, the problem ends up being a loose nut on the seat! Grin
Thanks for all the help guys!

Good catch Doody! And remember..... if we were'nt "loose nutz" we wouldn't even be riding theese dang deathtraps! Grin

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:32:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Problem 2 - Trouble Starting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.