gasket? or no. (Read 125 times)
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

on a shooting range in OK.
gasket? or no.
04/01/13 at 17:12:07

hey guys,
i have a 2004 savage. i  put in the  modded tensioner the other day. when i was going back together with it. i noticed there was no exhaust gasket where it mates up to the engine. should there be one? i just made sure both sufaces were cleaned up and put it back on. it doesnt sound bad. if it is supposed to have one though i want to get it done.
previous owner was a moron Roll Eyes. when i met him to check it out the tire pressure was so low it didnt even register on my tire guage. he rode it there by the way. couldnt pass it up for $1050 though.

shoot fast. reload faster.
  IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: gasket? or no.
Reply #1 - 04/01/13 at 17:29:45

its a crush gasket, i would replace it if i was in your shoes. prevent leaking on down the road

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 04/01/13 at 17:43:54

If you have cause to take the pipe off again, check the inner lip of the head mounting flange surface for a conformed crushed gasket.    Once they get mashed, they tend to blend in with the flange surface .....   invisible, in other words.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #3 - 04/01/13 at 18:43:20

I took my exhaust off today and noticed the same thing.

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/01/13 at 18:53:50

thanks ohiothumper and old feller. maybe i just missed it. i was  looking at prices and they are cheap. so guess ill just change it out for grinsies.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/02/13 at 04:53:54

When the gasket is new it has some white fibers contained within a silver foil material on the ID and OD.  When it is new it will be a loose fit in the recessed area at the exhaust port.  As you tighten the exhaust system it crushes and expands and becomes a tight fit.....the next time you take the header pipe off the gasket will not fall out - as it has been crushed and expanded into the recess.

You can take the header pipe off and reinstall it without a leak if you are careful to get the head pipe seated and tighten the two header bolts evenly.  Put anti-sieze on the header bolts and just snug them up and be careful not to make them too tight.  We have had several people over the years break the studs off while trying to remove them......and getting the broken pieces out of the cylinder head has been a major task for them.....sometimes it requires an engine tear down and replacement cylinder.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/02/13 at 07:01:23

Only tighten those studs w/ the engine cold. Its Ever so much better to need to snug them up in a few months than to try to fix it when ya strip or break one. 1/4" ratchet, thumb on the head of the ratchet, open hand, just the pressure created by closing the fingers is enough to do that job.
A secretary can handle it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #7 - 04/02/13 at 07:38:42

Here's some pics of a new and old exhaust gasket from when I replaced mine...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/02/13 at 08:51:57

thanks again guys!
when i got my bike it didnt have studs holding the exhaust to the engine. it had a bolt. yep just one. the muffler wasnt bolted to the frame either. it was just one bolt in the engine and the heat sheild holding that sucker on. Shocked  i put bolts in it, but i guess ill get some studs and do it right. you learn something new everyday.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 04/02/13 at 08:56:08

45ACP

The stock header fasteners are bolts with chrome plated acorn heads.

IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/02/13 at 09:17:22

is there any good reason not to use studs there? it might be easier on the threads in the cylinder. not that i take the exhaust on or off alot.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 04/02/13 at 09:24:42

The studs would work.....the stock acorn head bolts are probably a fashion statement.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:34:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gasket? or no.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.