Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Routine oil change checks... (Read 88 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Routine oil change checks...
04/01/13 at 00:29:56

Scotty just reminded me,...
Routine maintenance checks...

Every oil change,... I check for snug, on the two head nuts,.. at the pipe and and the carb...(they tend to loosen easily)... and the exhaust manifold bolts...
Also,.. don't forget to drain the airbox overflow tube... (the dangly hose under the the bike, hanging way down low)...

... and,.. TIP...if you cover the exhaust pipe, with a piece of tinfoil, at the right footpeg,.. you can direct the dribbles down into your drainpan, and save a lot of clean-up...

Every other change or so.. I check the front brake pads,... water level in the battery (if you have a wet cell),... and valves...
Valves are more a concern, on a new bike,.. and checks become less, and less frequent as time goes by...

... it don't hurt to check your air filter, every oil change, or at least every other one....(Pull it, and hold up to the sun, or a very bright light,.. and look to see light passing through, if it shows translucent, it's good),,,

Check front brake pads every other change, and...

Brake fluid,... has never been low on my bike... (I drained it,.. and replaced it, once at some teens amount of miles, just because...
Rear brake, is 30k and and no wear, and hardly used...(if you ever need a rear shoe... question your riding style)...

When you change tires,.. always get new tubes... (tubes set a memory once they are expanded for some time,.. and will not deflate, and expand to conform to a new tire)... they are much more likely to pinch after that...

I've been known to lube cables once in a while.. but, that goes more by feel than any routine...

Check your light bulbs... some people do that every ride...
I do it once in a blue moon... usually while on a ride, when I think of it...

When you do replace front brake pads,.. feel the rotor with your fingers for a lip along the outer edge.... if that edge gets deep... you need a new disc...(a disc, should go 20 to 40k easy)...

Lube your side stand once in a while,... if it gets stiff... it will not allow the side stand cut-out to disengage...

Some bikes have grease zerts on the swingarm and other moving components... ours don't...
So, I don't check... (at 30k,.. I would have flushed those out,... but, I haven't... 'cause it won't be easy)...

I never check my sparkplug... I did replace it once, on a whim...
Grin...

Ohhh,... and you should check tire air pressure... every month or so... I never do and that's bad...
MIne gets down in the teens before before I notice...

Okay... any other routines I missed?...

PS.. JMHO... just what I can think of, off hand...
not by the manual...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: Routine oil change checks...
Reply #1 - 04/01/13 at 04:19:44

I check for any debris embedded in the tires, give my spokes a twang to make sure they are tight and do the 90 degree pull and turn on the belt to make sure it's not too loosey goosey  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Routine oil change checks...
Reply #2 - 04/01/13 at 04:21:42

I also believe the brake and shifter pedals need to be taken apart, cleaned and lubed occasiionally.  They get a lot of dirt and water thrown up on them, and they are not sealed from the elements.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 01:24:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Routine oil change checks...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.