Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
just about done with it (Read 432 times)
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

just about done with it
03/31/13 at 17:55:39

well here is a sneak peek at what i did over the winter. still have a few things left to do before getting to ride it.

IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Re: just about done with it
Reply #1 - 03/31/13 at 20:30:25

Well..... those rear shocks look about as comfortable as boltin' on a steel block!  Tongue

Other than that,  NIIIICE!
Good work, man.  Looks great.  Wink

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 03/31/13 at 20:32:22

YES! I love the way the front brake looks like that - right out in the open in your face. Everyone wants to hide it or delete it and I just can't agree with them. Put it right out there front and center. I see that and I think this bike means effin' business

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/31/13 at 21:42:10

You ought to re-do that brake line.
either it's gonna vibrate off or somethings going to snag it.

WWW   IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #4 - 04/01/13 at 01:31:23

very cool! more simply there are no words!

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 04/01/13 at 04:29:39

I dig it   Smiley    

Great looking scoot Ohio!

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 04/01/13 at 05:45:44

Love the forks.  Manual compression release and a slight trim on the upper most motor mount bolt (or delete the top bolt) and the tank should drop on tighter. Try it, you may have room to keep the release as is with the bolt out... If so, a small trim plate will hide the release.

For the "squawkers" the upper motor mount will be fine with 2 bolts. Have had mine like that for years since the tank swap, the other 2 have stayed tight and the engine has no excess motion. The top mount is more a "snubber" than anything else. The lower mounts are the mains.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/01/13 at 17:24:11

thanks for the compliments guys.  Cool
vers. im already on that brake line, i wasnt digging the way it stuck out there. having some issues getting this tank to fit so that it doesnt look like a pimple on an elephants a$$.

wd, i dont have the top motor mount bolt in at the moment but have a plan to countersink plate and get a flat head bolt in it.

face, ive been riding hardtail for a few seasons, but this season i have real seat instead of using bath mats Shocked Grin

im in a debate on if i want to leave the tank bare and clear coat it or paint it black. im leaning towards bare and clear coat.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #8 - 04/02/13 at 07:46:08

Looks great!!!

When you get a chance I would love to hear more about that whole front end.  Shocked

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 04/02/13 at 09:19:29

The front end is a conversion my bike is in dire need of. The stock forks have to be one of the worst cut rate hydraulic front ends ever installed on a cruiser. Mine have extra oil to limit some of the brake dive, but to get it how it feels right to me is going to take gear oil... or concrete... or external booster springs like old Brit/Jap twins.

Never have been, never will be a fan of Glide (hydraulic) forks. I'll take a greasable springer any day of the week and twice on the weekends. I'd even settle for a modern replace the bushings every 10K miles version...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/02/13 at 11:38:29

Sweet ride! Wink

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #11 - 04/02/13 at 12:55:06

Where d'u get the springer? Is it a direct fit?

IP Logged
jiminapex
YaBB Newbies

Just bobbin' around
NC

Apex, NC
Reply #12 - 04/02/13 at 13:14:23

Ditto on the springer.  Would love to know where you got it.  What a great look!

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #13 - 04/02/13 at 14:11:36

jiminapex wrote on 04/02/13 at 13:14:23:
Ditto on the springer.  Would love to know where you got it.  What a great look!

In his other post (http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1355855854/0#0) he references a DNA Springer 2" under stock and a 21" wheel, so I'm interested in his full setup as well and just how close to level the frame of the bike has stayed.

ohio thumper...we are salivating for more details, job well done  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/02/13 at 17:40:36

ok fellas here it goes background and all.

first off, i have searched high and low over the interwebz to see a springer on a savage. one is all i could find and it was on here and had a sidehack on it. now with that said, here we go.

i was only going to change out fork seals over the winter and be done with it when i ran into some pitting on the tubes that couldnt be salvaged. new tubes were ridiculous, so i decided springer for the price of new tubes.
the springer is a DNA springer now i have heard many different stories of them being junk and i still do, but from what i gathered most of the ones they say were junk were raked out and on heavier bikes. i wanted to stay as close to stock as i could so i wouldnt be messing with the geometry of the bike in relation to being level to the ground. i researched for months before i pulled the trigger.
i found that 2" under stock would keep me around the same length as stock forks. i bought a conversion kit for the bearings which i probably didnt need to do but it was made for the savage specifically. it was just bearings and races and some spacers.
i came across some killer deals in my search for parts. i got the DNA brake caliper and mount for 60 bucks, front wheel and tire for 150, and the rotor for 50 bucks. price that stuff online and you will pay big time.
the installation went rather smoothly as far as neck and bearings/races, but spacing the wheel out was a pain in the a$$. not only did i have to space the wheel to center but i also had to space rotor to caliper. lots of measuring and remeasuring. definitely took my time as i wanted to get everything right and still be safe.
now with the springer, dont expect to be using the stock tank because front end hits the tank. i wound up finding this tank at a swap meet, but am in the middle of modifying it to fit right. things are not going so well on it, but i might have to improvise for the moment cause its getting warmer here and i want to ride so bad.
i wound up getting hurley controls and doing some rewiring. not a big fan of doing wiring at all, but came thru pretty good.

ok so i think i might have covered some things for you guys. feel free to ask any more questions on things i may have left out.

one bit of advise is to research it till your sick of looking and soak in as much info as you can.

again, thanks to everyone for the compliments

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:25:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › just about done with it

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.