Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chuckles while getting my bike inspected .... (Read 168 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Chuckles while getting my bike inspected ....
03/31/13 at 07:22:55

Had to go by the Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/BMW dealership to get my inspection this year.   My little shop that sold bike parts and did bike inspections quick and cheap has gone out of business, so I had to actually go to the stealership to get her done.

Going through the show room to get to service I had the salesman try to get me to trade up to a "low seat height bike" ($12,000 huge brick of a thing).   The counter girl was amazed at my paperwork because I had 20,000 miles on the bike.  "These little Savages generally don't last that long" sez she.

The service manager brought my paperwork out to me when they finished it.  "Your bike is idling a bit fast, you may need a full tune up and valve adjustment because when we slowed the idle down your valves started tapping.  A full tune up costs $250.   We can work you in today as we have a person free."

How can a newbie survive apart from the list?  He has nobody who will tell him the truth about his bike, how to fix his bike or how to take care of it properly -- they all just want to rape a newbie with his beginner bike for as much as they can, as often as they can, then get him to trade up to a bigger bike.

I cranked my old bike up, reset the idle speed and rode off, shaking my head.  They only ever see a Savage in service dept every third year or so, so how do they know anything much about a 20,000 mile bike to try to be offering me expert advice?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: Chuckles while getting my bike inspected ....
Reply #1 - 03/31/13 at 08:46:19

There are scrupulous dealers out there, but too few and far between for sure.  It's truely ashame as you point out Old Feller that it's way too easy for the vast majority of them to take advantage of newbies and those that are anxious about doing their own maintenance. Even worse the mechanic that lowered your idle till the "valves started tapping" being a Suzuki dealership mechanic should know better   Angry

I'm glad that some newbies like JRleather find us and have the gumption to help and better themselves by listening to people with prior experience that truely want to help instead of the fat cats who truely just want their money  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #2 - 03/31/13 at 08:49:18

I just hit the 600 mile mark and I am really not wanting to take the bike in because of exactly this sort of thing. I want to do the maintenance myself, I've had a couple of car engines down to the block and back but this being a new bike and all I am skitish. I am comfortable with everything but the valve check.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/31/13 at 08:58:23

when you are ready to check it... let me know, I visit riverside all the time.

and if there's any interest, itsaboutime for another wrenching session.

OF... you didn't tell about the bored out high compression piston and the hot cam?

Did you at least do a burn out at the front door?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 03/31/13 at 10:12:38

Quote:
The counter girl was amazed at my paperwork because I had 20,000 miles on the bike.  "These little Savages generally don't last that long" sez she.

I'll bet they don't say that when they're selling them...  Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 03/31/13 at 10:54:16

It's funny, I don't even have a modified piston yet because I've never worn the first one out yet.

And the Stage 2 cam isn't apparent at idle, it only comes into being once you hit what used to be your rpm ceiling.

The Dyna exhaust is the only thing that shows at all on my bike, and it looks perfectly normal to the Hurley dudes I seduce on the mountain runs.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #6 - 03/31/13 at 10:58:41

verslagen1 wrote on 03/31/13 at 08:58:23:
when you are ready to check it... let me know, I visit riverside all the time.

and if there's any interest, itsaboutime for another wrenching session.

Wow!! That would be great!! Thanks soo much!! I will get started on all the other maintenance right away, when will you be out next? Will PM you.

« Last Edit: 03/31/13 at 12:41:55 by Dane Allen »  

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 03/31/13 at 12:24:19

I get mine inspected at the local quick change oil place.  I don't get hassled by stealerships that way.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 03/31/13 at 13:15:26

Hey OF, did they pick up on your darkside rear tire or have you changed it out? The "Trade Up" line is SOP at any dealership, be it cars, bikes or whatever. I had my Tahoe in the shop because some bozo bounced a Buick off it's rear bumper and have been flooded since then with "Trade Up" mail for the dealer associated with the body shop.
 Dane Allen, there is nothing tricky about setting the valves. All you need is the book, a good set of feeler gauges and a little time.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 03/31/13 at 15:49:27

Dane Allen, really check the tech section from page 1 to the end, if you are unsure of maintenance. There is a very good post on valve adjustment on page three about 7 from the bottom. Dealerswhips are there to sell bikes and make  money but these peoples techniques are over the top. Some people think that the S40 is an entry level "loss leader" so they will see any owner as a prospect.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 03/31/13 at 16:13:31

It IS a loss leader. Too many people finding the forum, doing their own everything except tires. And a whole bunch get inspired to do those as well.

There are 2 big dealerships in WA that won't work on a Savage. They refer people to this website at purchase... you're welcome. I made enough of a nuisance of myself that they caved in.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 03/31/13 at 20:22:54

Ed L. wrote on 03/31/13 at 13:15:26:
Hey OF, did they pick up on your darkside rear tire or have you changed it out?  

Nope, they were oblivious.   The Nexxen looks like a sports car tire which it is so it is close enough to looking like a bike tire.  Nexxen is a Korean word which means "next generation", so it looked all "Japanese" to them.

While I was there another guy told them something about valve adjustment frequency that he read on his Honda sports bike site and he was told to never trust the internet because they don't know anything, that "we the dealership" are the true experts ... you should always get your valve adjusted according to the owners manual inspection frequencies.   Your dealership should perform all in warranty oil changes using Honda OEM filters, etc. to make sure it is done correctly and that it doesn't void your warranty.

(give us the $$$ on a set frequency, and do it twice as often as you really need to, or three times as often if it is under the warranty period)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #12 - 04/01/13 at 10:34:19

Well everyone has to make a living I suppose. I think the economy got squeezed enough that a few dealerhips gave up sales. The Truimph dealership has one saleman.. who also answers the phones... and happends to to be the owner. The suzuki dealership is tiny place over in a tiny town. Has about 4 new bikes, and 4 new camam spiders, plus a bunch of 4-wheelers .. which down here sell - 3 to 1 over bikes. My understanding is he a retired Entergy ( power company) worker. He dont need to make a killing .. and pissing off Bubba over a 4-wheeler aint to smart. The one BIG shop is the Honda/Yamaha dealer. Closest thing we got to a "stealership".. but even so this town aint at all friendly to such antics. You get a bad reputation here.. and you might as well close up quick and save the rent money.  

As for me, I havent been back to the dealer for anything. I got 600 mile tweak done by a small bike shop. Bunch of guys behind the counter more concerned with the next drive in Veteran BBQ fund raiser then selling anything. Welcome to Mississippi.. we're kinda "low key".   Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:25:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › Chuckles while getting my bike inspected ....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.