Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
trouble running, maybe the carburetor? (Read 1435 times)
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: trouble running, maybe the carburetor?
Reply #60 - 04/26/13 at 16:02:00

Dave wrote on 04/01/13 at 09:27:13:
WD wrote on 04/01/13 at 05:27:15:
He's in Italy Dave.

WD.  I just did a seach.....Seafoam is not available outside the US.

Sir, it is available in America's Hat.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #61 - 04/26/13 at 16:14:47

Coaxial wrote on 04/26/13 at 16:02:00:
Dave wrote on 04/01/13 at 09:27:13:
WD wrote on 04/01/13 at 05:27:15:
He's in Italy Dave.

WD.  I just did a seach.....Seafoam is not available outside the US.

Sir, it is available in America's Hat.

Well thanks, but i've already restored the interior of the tank... i used an italian product made for antique cars and bikes and it seems that fuel related problems have been solved.
Thanks a lot anyway, i will remember that, you never know...

1994 Suzuki Savage, mini ape, raptor petcock, lowered forks
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #62 - 04/26/13 at 19:10:04

maxtowers wrote on 04/26/13 at 15:59:08:
A friend suggested that maybe could be the muffler obstructed by residue since probably it has never been cleaned... is it realistic? He suggested to run for a while without the muffler or with one less restricted and see what happens in the span of about 50 miles that is the average that i had between needing to pull the spark plug and clean it.

Hi Max, when you say after 50 miles you have to clean the plug, is it because the plug is sooted up..black? That would mean you are way rich. If as you say your main is 130 and your pilot 47.5, you should not be rich at all, lean if anything. I've read this post twice and I don't see anything about the float level mentioned. Have you set the float level? As messed up as those floats are, if they don't float properly and keep the proper fuel level in the float bowl that could cause you to be way rich. If the float level measures right: (carb off the bike, float bowl removed, carb upside down. Measure from the carb body where the bowl gasket sets, to the bottom of the float bowl. Should be approx 27-28mm.) If that is correct drop it a couple mm to 30-31 and see if it runs any better. I just wouldn't trust that float. Huh

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #63 - 04/27/13 at 00:35:48

87 savage wrote on 04/26/13 at 19:10:04:
A friend suggested that maybe could be the muffler obstructed by residue since probably it has never been cleaned... is it realistic? He suggested to run for a while without the muffler or with one less restricted and see what happens in the span of about 50 miles that is the average that i had between needing to pull the spark plug and clean it.

Hi Max, when you say after 50 miles you have to clean the plug, is it because the plug is sooted up..black? That would mean you are way rich. If as you say your main is 130 and your pilot 47.5, you should not be rich at all, lean if anything. I've read this post twice and I don't see anything about the float level mentioned. Have you set the float level? As messed up as those floats are, if they don't float properly and keep the proper fuel level in the float bowl that could cause you to be way rich. If the float level measures right: (carb off the bike, float bowl removed, carb upside down. Measure from the carb body where the bowl gasket sets, to the bottom of the float bowl. Should be approx 27-28mm.) If that is correct drop it a couple mm to 30-31 and see if it runs any better. I just wouldn't trust that float. Huh

That's right, the plug is sooted black... i never considered that possibility, it's a great advice, and i will check promptly... i will see how to regulate the float level on the service manual and report as soon as i have done it.
Thanks a lot for all the inputs guys, by myself i would be lost...

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #64 - 04/27/13 at 07:12:33

maxtowers wrote on 04/27/13 at 00:35:48:

That's right, the plug is sooted black... i never considered that possibility, it's a great advice, and i will check promptly... i will see how to regulate the float level on the service manual and report as soon as i have done it.

Hey Max, quick note, float measurement instructions should have read:

(carb off the bike, float bowl removed, carb upside down. Measure from the carb body where the bowl gasket sets, to the bottom of the FLOAT. bowl. NOT FLOAT BOWL! Should be approx 27-28mm.)

My bad, sorry Roll Eyes

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #65 - 04/27/13 at 08:05:02

In this case, a by-the-book measurement aint gonna do.

take a clear length of tubing, connect it to the drain and run it up along the carb.  and open the drain, petcock to prime, level should come up to the bowl gasket with the bike vertical.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #66 - 04/27/13 at 08:37:22

I live along the west coast, litterally few hundred yards from the beach, and usually not climbing big mountians... so better to go back to the old spark plug and see what other thing might goin' on?
In this case i guess i'm gonna take it to a mechanic, goin' around cylinder, piston and all that stuff makes me uncomfortable doin' it by myself with no experience in doing so...
Do i have to stop running it or can i use it anyway?
Sorry for all this questions, but apache snow kinda scared me a bit...

A 7 spark plug won't harm anything. When you get down around 4 and 5, you'll start having issues.

As for a plugged up muffler, I think he confused it with a "cataclysmic perverter" (catalytic converter), which our bikes don't have (yet).

Is the black gunk "fluffy" or sticky? Fluffy is a bit rich on the fuel, sticky is way too rich or it is trying to burn oil as well as gas.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #67 - 04/27/13 at 08:41:55

87 savage wrote on 04/27/13 at 07:12:33:
maxtowers wrote on 04/27/13 at 00:35:48:

Hey Max, quick note, float measurement instructions should have read:

(carb off the bike, float bowl removed, carb upside down. Measure from the carb body where the bowl gasket sets, to the bottom of the FLOAT. bowl. NOT FLOAT BOWL! Should be approx 27-28mm.)

My bad, sorry Roll Eyes

No biggie, i guessed what you meant so here's some picture of what i came up with... add 2mm to compensate the dept of the border:

and this is how it is fitted in the carb:

Now i know that this is kind of approximative, but if i flip the float?
like this:

now it measures about 40 mm... i know it's a bit too much, but is it conceivable?

"verslagen1 wrote:
take a clear length of tubing, connect it to the drain and run it up along the carb.  and open the drain, petcock to prime, level should come up to the bowl gasket with the bike vertical."

The only problem is that i have a normal bolt as a drain pug, so i don't know how to connect the tube to the bowl...

and anyway anyone knows if and how to set the float level? do i have to bend the floats?

I noticed that the bike always start without the need of the choke... is it normal?

Oh and one last particular.... when  i kill the engine after a few seconds (sometimes even ten) the bike seems to cough from the exhaust... not too loud, just like a cough...

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #68 - 04/27/13 at 15:29:06

verslagen1 wrote on 04/27/13 at 08:05:02:

take a clear length of tubing, connect it to the drain and run it up along the carb.  and open the drain, petcock to prime, level should come up to the bowl gasket with the bike vertical.

I have to agree Verslagen, that float is in crazy bad shape! How would he hook up some tubing to the drain?

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #69 - 04/27/13 at 15:34:45

Max, I wouldn't run the float upside down. I don't think the float bowl would even fit with the float upsidedown and it would be way too low. If you can't figure a way to try what Verslagen suggested, drop the float a few mm and try running it. To adjust the float, you bend the tang on the float that the needle attaches to. Starting without the choke sounds rich with your stock jets. A little pop in the exhaust when you shut it off is fairly normal for these savages.

IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #70 - 04/28/13 at 01:34:07

WD wrote on 04/27/13 at 08:37:22:
I live along the west coast, litterally few hundred yards from the beach, and usually not climbing big mountians... so better to go back to the old spark plug and see what other thing might goin' on?
In this case i guess i'm gonna take it to a mechanic, goin' around cylinder, piston and all that stuff makes me uncomfortable doin' it by myself with no experience in doing so...
Do i have to stop running it or can i use it anyway?
Sorry for all this questions, but apache snow kinda scared me a bit...

A 7 spark plug won't harm anything. When you get down around 4 and 5, you'll start having issues.

As for a plugged up muffler, I think he confused it with a "cataclysmic perverter" (catalytic converter), which our bikes don't have (yet).

Is the black gunk "fluffy" or sticky? Fluffy is a bit rich on the fuel, sticky is way too rich or it is trying to burn oil as well as gas.

Well the gunk it's more on the fluffy side... few strokes with a metallic brush and the spark plug it's as good as new...
About the oil, when i changed oil and filter i sticked to the quantity ordered by Suzuki, but when i check the oil level with the bike on the central wood stand (copied by Serowbot Grin), it is a bit over the full line... not much, just a tad, but is it harming in any way?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #71 - 04/28/13 at 01:41:14

It might weep a bit if you have any suspect gaskets, otherwise, don't lose any sleep over it. A touch over is basically harmless.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #72 - 04/28/13 at 01:44:43

87 savage wrote on 04/27/13 at 15:34:45:
Max, I wouldn't run the float upside down. I don't think the float bowl would even fit with the float upsidedown and it would be way too low. If you can't figure a way to try what Verslagen suggested, drop the float a few mm and try running it. To adjust the float, you bend the tang on the float that the needle attaches to. Starting without the choke sounds rich with your stock jets. A little pop in the exhaust when you shut it off is fairly normal for these savages.

Thanks 87 savage, i will follow your directions on how to regulate the floats... i didn't think that was just a matter of bending a tang, i thought that there was a hidden screw or something that i didn't noticed... i would love to follow Verslagen method, seems really accurate... but untill i find a way to fit a tube to the bowl i will try bending the tang on the float and see what happens.
I will keep you posted.
Thanks to all you guys, you've been great.

IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #73 - 04/28/13 at 06:07:27

After the mod to the float, the bike don't start, and there is gas in the air intake that leaks down from the two drain tubes at the base of the air filter box...
Well, outside it's raining...

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #74 - 04/28/13 at 08:20:15

maxtowers wrote on 04/28/13 at 06:07:27:
After the mod to the float, the bike don't start, and there is gas in the air intake that leaks down from the two drain tubes at the base of the air filter box...
Well, outside it's raining...

Sounds like the needle valve is not seating to stop the flow of gas. The float bowl overfills and the gas runs into the air cleaner box. The fuel can also run into the crankcase, bad! Find a way to stop the fuel. Make sure your petcock is not on prime. Pull the gas feed line of your carb and plug it to stop fuel if necessary. When you made your adjustment to the float, what was your measurement? Perhaps the needle assembly is half the problem? Sounds like the carb will have to come back out or at the very least drain and drop the float bowl. Take a good look at the rubber part of the needle assembly and see if it has a ring worn into it. If it does you'll have to replace it before going further. Sad

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:31:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › trouble running, maybe the carburetor?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.