Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
trouble running, maybe the carburetor? (Read 1435 times)
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
trouble running, maybe the carburetor?
03/31/13 at 03:28:53

Howdy fellas, first of all Happy Easter.
This morning i took my bike for the first true ride since i got it in december and i put it back together; since then i made just a few very short ride around the neigbourhood and all seemed fine.
I have to say that i've checked the forum for this problem but seems that i found nothing that fits my condition so i decided to post my question; if there's already a tread about this i apologise in advance.
Here's the deal: the bike starts fine, just a bit of black smoke at idle, but i thought it was because the bike it's a '94 and at that time there was no unleaded fuel here, and also the muffler it's the original one so i thought it might be part of the reason of the black smoke.
So i took it for a spin and as soon it got warm it started to run clumsy, and when i stopped at traffic lights it seemed it want to die...i was able to get back home and it died definitely, and it didn't won't start again.
I waited it to cool down and it seems to try to start but it doesn't.
Here's what i've done to it: new air filter and new oil filter (originals) new spark plug, new oil and Raptor petcock.
Seems to me that as long as the engine it's cold it runs good, but as soon as it gets in temperature the trouble starts.
To pass the emission test the dealer had to re-jet it but as soon as it got the stamp they put back the original jet.
Any suggestion it's highly appreciated.

1994 Suzuki Savage, mini ape, raptor petcock, lowered forks
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: trouble running, maybe the carburetor?
Reply #1 - 03/31/13 at 05:54:06

It sounds like it is running too rich.  What jets are in the carb?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #2 - 03/31/13 at 07:55:13

Dave wrote on 03/31/13 at 05:54:06:
It sounds like it is running too rich.  What jets are in the carb?

Hi Dave, i really don't know... but your hint it's a start, i will check the carb and let you know asap...
In the meantime thanks a lot Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 03/31/13 at 10:08:12

While you're in there, Max... clean the slide... it could be sticking... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mikey2004

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sarasota Florida
Reply #4 - 03/31/13 at 15:11:59

had the same problem with my 99. didn't have any black smoke but it ran clumsy and wanted to die ALOT. so I pulled apart the carb and did the small rebuild kit, cleaned the whole thing up, ( the small kit is a new needle valve and seals. think you might want to change that jet to a new one.) the bike has not ran this great since I bought it. and I can tell you now that the po didn't know what he was doing when he did repairs. hope that bit of info helps.
the only problem I had when I did the rebuild kit: a lot of the screws on the carb had been stripped out. had to remove and replace most of them.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 03/31/13 at 16:19:17

You need to do that anyway, replace the soft phillips head with stainles steel allen head.

Black smoke? Idle jet is too big. The stumbling sounds like one of the jets sucked up some trash and got plugged. Been there. Several times. Still need to step my jets down a bit, I'm way fat at 155/55, need 152.5/52, mine smokes when rolling down the road...  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #6 - 04/01/13 at 03:28:52

Thank you all guys, as always you're the bestSmiley I have just one doubt: i have little to no experience on dealing with carburetor, so do you think this work can be done by a newbie like me or do you think it's best to take it to the Suzuki dealer and let them do the job?
I have the service manual, but it scares me a bit to do this thing, but at the same time i would like to learn... is it too much too soon?
Thanks again to all of you
Suzukisavage.com ROCKS Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/01/13 at 04:08:57

A few of us are getting dealer paronoid as a result of recent stories.  The dealers don't seem to be real up to date on the needs of the Savage.

Are you compentent enough to take the carb off and mail it to someone if they offer to clean it for you?

Where do you live?  If you put your location in your profile.....it just could be that one of our experienced members could offer to help if they live nearby.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 04/01/13 at 05:27:15

He's in Italy Dave.

Max, it's very easy. 2 hose clamps and 4 screws. Carb or brake cleaner aerosol with spray tube. Small Philips and small flathead screwdrivers.

Check the tech section of the board for the real recommended method of cleaning.

My way: Drain float bowl. Loosen the bands on the rubber pieces the carb rides in, rotate carb top to the bike's left. Remove the 4 bowl screws, pull float bowl off. Remove float. Remove the round brass flat head screw looking deals with a hole in the center (the jets). Run a sewing needle through them, followed by spraying cleaner through them. The needle will just push any lodged gunk out.

Reassemble in reverse order. Replace float bowl retainer screws with stainless steel allen head screws.

Add Seafoam or similar outboard engine fuel system cleaner to the fuel, set petcock so it will fill the carb, start bike. Ride.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 04/01/13 at 09:04:51

maxtowers wrote on 03/31/13 at 03:28:53:

So i took it for a spin and as soon it got warm it started to run clumsy, and when i stopped at traffic lights it seemed it want to die...i was able to get back home and it died definitely, and it didn't won't start again.
I waited it to cool down and it seems to try to start but it doesn't.

Before you recommend SeaFoam......Read the part again about how the bike will no longer start.  That seems to be a bit late for SeaFoam.

He has already installed a Raptor petcock.....so the leaky diaphragm is not a cause on this bike.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/01/13 at 09:27:13

WD wrote on 04/01/13 at 05:27:15:
He's in Italy Dave.

WD.  I just did a seach.....Seafoam is not available outside the US.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 04/01/13 at 09:48:52

There is a market equivalent. Any marina should have it. An outboard is an outboard.

I agree with you, Bill didn't read the symptoms, if the bike isn't starting, adding cleaner and going for a ride isn't going to happen...  Grin

I'd lay dollars to donuts he has a lined tank with some separation going on or an internally degraded fuel line. Or fueled up at a station with some sand in the tanks.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 04/01/13 at 09:52:13

I read the symptoms and told him how to start it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 04/01/13 at 09:52:56

You also need to remember bill thinks the answer to every problem is seafoam and klotz

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 04/01/13 at 09:59:20

Drain the bowl into a clear jar.

Drain some fuel from the tank into a clear jar.

REport results.
Also, note how the fuel flows when draining from the tank.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:12:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › trouble running, maybe the carburetor?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.