Decal removal tips? (Read 154 times)
00savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Franklin, PA
Decal removal tips?
03/30/13 at 17:22:21

I'm attempting to remove the decals from the gas tank on my 2000. Unfortunatly they were applied to the tank and then cleared over from the factory. I masked off the tank around the decals and broke through the clear coat with some sand paper. The decal isn't peeling off like I had hoped. It's just chipping off in very tiny pieces. Soooo, does anybody have some ideas on how to work the decals off without ruining the paint? I don't mind having to re-clear the tank. I'm trying to keep from having to re-paint also. Thanks

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Re: Decal removal tips?
Reply #1 - 03/30/13 at 18:13:09

Try some heat and goo-gone.  But it may just be that flaky...  Once you get it down enough, buffing with a polishing compound may even it out enough...

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 03/30/13 at 18:47:59

Yea the goo-gone  works well, make sure the cloth stays wet and a plastic scrapper helps a ton. Plastc spackle tool, plastic razor blade or pizza stone scrapper   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #3 - 04/01/13 at 12:54:04

I always make the sticker softer with an hair-dryer, and with a bit of luck it will peel off.
Also, there'a a 3M solvent that allows you to remove the sticker and also the glue that remains on the surface... it's not cheap but it works big time.
Don't know Goo Gone, but it must be good, 'cause here in Italy we don't have it Wink.

1994 Suzuki Savage, mini ape, raptor petcock, lowered forks
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 04/01/13 at 22:37:18

I used a hair dryer and goo gone...and my thumb nail.  Get the outside edge hot and soft and peel up what little bit you can until it cools, clean exposed glue with goo gone, repeat. Once all removed and the sticky cleaned up with goo gone, a few polishes with some non-abrasive wax/polish will blend it nearly invisible.

Note, I used my thumbnail to peel as opposed to anything else to avoid scratching the paint (and it was a little sore afterwards).  Using another plastic tool of sorts may work as well, but may risk scratching.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/02/13 at 03:10:08

I am not sure how much succes you are going to have with this.  The decal you are wanting to remove is not some Same Day Signs kind of stick on vinyl.  I don't know if it is a sticker or a decal.......and whatever they use for adhesive it will be touch stuff as it had to withstand the sovlents in the clear coat that was sprayed over the decal/sticker.  GooGone is a pretty mild solvent that is design to remove adhesive without dirsturbing paint.....so it may not be able to soften the sticker/decal.

They do make a rubber erasor kind of wheel that bodyshops use to removed graphics - it is used in an electric drill and it makes heat when spinning and rubs the graphics off.  This system won't work until you get the clear paint off of the sticker/decal.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MileHiRider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, Colorado
Reply #6 - 04/02/13 at 07:47:16

I use the same method "stewmill" used, and I have for years.
The tank decal was still on my '04 when I bought it late last year and
it had to come off! I spent 30 minutes picking that sucker off but
it was worth it. I don't think I would try anything else, the paint is
tough, but I'd hate to scratch it

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:24:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Decal removal tips?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.