Send Topic Print
Grip question (Read 227 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Grip question
03/30/13 at 13:04:55

I can use any push/pull 1" grips, right? If it says it is for a HD, that will still work as long as it's not the fly by wire, right?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Grip question
Reply #1 - 03/30/13 at 13:34:13

Nope. You need grips designed for the bike so the throttle side will fit into the switch box. I bought Isogrips, but they have to specify they will fit on our bikes.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/30/13 at 13:45:26

yes and no, I don't think the HD push/pulls will work as they have 2 short ridges.  but you can make many work.  They need to have one side with a longer ridge to act as a stop.

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 03/30/13 at 13:46:41

I bought a set of Avon metric 1" grips and they fit just fine in the switch box.  Had to re-adjust the throttle cable a little is all but they work great.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 03/30/13 at 15:11:37

ANY single cable 1" throttle if you intend to change the throttle pipe.

Grips only? No throttle pipe change? ANY 1" x 1 1/8" grip set at least 140mm long.

Bar side is 1", throttle side is inch and an eigth.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #5 - 03/31/13 at 05:05:52

Thanks guys! I'm glad I asked. I was hoping to purchase a set of Coke bottle grips that came with the tube as I figured I would break mine trying to remove the grip. I am having a difficult time coming up with any that are for the Savage. I guess I will have to get just the grips and be gently with the throttle tube.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
00savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Franklin, PA
Reply #6 - 03/31/13 at 09:03:10

If you're trying to remove the stock grips, take the bar end cap off and insert the little red straw between the grip and the throttle "tube" and give her a couple good blasts of wd40. Works great for grip removal and installation. When it dries (usually in a couple hours) the new grips will stay put with no slipping/twisting.

IP Logged
doubloshoe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/11/13 at 18:46:26

Hello I've seen a few threads asking the same question so I didn't want to start a new one. I am looking at these grips, the specs state they're for 1" bars. My question is that they have the tube already installed are these universal or do they have to be specific to the Suzuki?

jpcycles web site
product:534-934

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #8 - 04/12/13 at 09:27:37

doubloshoe wrote on 04/11/13 at 18:46:26:
Hello I've seen a few threads asking the same question so I didn't want to start a new one. I am looking at these grips, the specs state they're for 1" bars. My question is that they have the tube already installed are these universal or do they have to be specific to the Suzuki?

jpcycles web site
product:534-934

I was looking at the Coke bottle ones. I emailed JP Cycles and they confirmed the fit. If I were you, I would do the same.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
doubloshoe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/14/13 at 17:07:16

Thank you I will do that.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 04/14/13 at 17:10:35

The Avon's I have are a univeral type push/pull and they are working great as I said above.   Most universal ones for the 1" bars will work fine.  If you have any doubts though do as suggested above and email or call to make sure.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #11 - 04/15/13 at 04:44:03

00savage wrote on 03/31/13 at 09:03:10:
If you're trying to remove the stock grips, take the bar end cap off and insert the little red straw between the grip and the throttle "tube" and give her a couple good blasts of wd40. Works great for grip removal and installation. When it dries (usually in a couple hours) the new grips will stay put with no slipping/twisting.

Thanks 00Savage I tried the WD40 to install new grips on a TTR125 I'm working on, I've always used compressed air but the WD40 worked much better   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:26:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Grip question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.