Send Topic Print
Starting a new project (Read 51 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Starting a new project
03/30/13 at 08:33:25

About 20 years ago I guess I came across a book called "Radios that work for free". ITs about crystal radio sets. Pics are pretty nice & I'm finally starting to work toward building one. Im gathering parts up & doing some homework online. I found an annual contest with pics up to 2011,, Im wondering if interest has died off..But, there are sites to buy parts..The book, printed in 77, points out that THE most important thing is the headphones & that theyre not made now, because they need to be as high in impedance as possible, & now, 30 ohms is High,, & we need something on the order of 4,ooo ohms impedance..& the author goes on to say that the old headsets are available, expect to pay the princely sum of 3 to 4 dollars,, well, HA!,, theyre in the $80.00 range now for those old headsets,, BUT, now there are some things made & a guy Can get mismatched stuff,, like a single speaker,, & since Im really just wanting to listen to some late nite talk radio, like Noory, I could get one speaker & stick it in a pillow & lay my ear on it, be able to hear well enough till I doze off,, So, Im thinking I can get what I need for $10.00..
I DO need some old air capacitors, like from old style radio gear, if anyone has an old dead radio & wouldnt mind gutting it or shipping it & Ill gut it, which would give me more parts , like switches & such, maybe even a matching transformer so I could run a small speaker..
So, anyone with stuff that mite be able to donate parts, Id pay some & pay freight, too.
Anyone who wants to join in on a project, we could compare notes. Im wanting to build 2, at least. One for broadcast & 1 shortwave, which operates in higher ranges.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Re: Starting a new project
Reply #1 - 03/30/13 at 08:42:31

I was looking into short wave radio amoth ago and discovered there are ham radio clubs all over the place. Bing your local amateur radio group and see where they are located. These guy are pretty technical. Good luck!!!!

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 03/30/13 at 09:28:12

I used to listen to "Bigfoot" coast to coast radio at night,.. years ago... (I especially liked when Ian Punnett was guest host)...
... but, nowadays it's 75% commercials...
That's just plain abusive... Tongue...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/30/13 at 10:25:22

When I was first startin to listen to Noory he had a guy on who claimed to be a horse, trapped in a mans body. Noory interviewed him, asked reasonable questions about how the guys life worked out, being a horse, in a mans body did have to cause some issues, ya know. Noory never talked down to the guy,no sarcasm, nothing. Pure, 100% professionalism. Zero judgement. He just asked questions that anyone who met the guy/horse would likely ask if they had a chance.. I knew then Noory was a real pro.
Yea, the commercials are too close together & last too long. I strongly suspect they could make $$ & stay on the air with a good bit less advertising. YOu can bet, when complaints reach a high enough point & listeners walk away, theyll change.
In fact, nowchew mention it,,I think Ill just pop an email that way & do some whining,, Im Goood at whining. I even got an extra check from a little gal who was quitting her job. He settled claims for workers comp. After that turbocharger munched my middle finger on the right hand, they sent me some pittance,, & I whined to that girl for a coupla months. When she told me she was quitting, I got serious & she sent another check,, not a LOT, just a few hundred, IIRC, But, I wound up having to give that & all the $$$ workers comp gave me back when I settled the suit with GM for about $30,000.00. Cant get compensated more than once for a loss, apparently.. IDK what happens if a guy has 3 insurance policies on someone & the die..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 03/30/13 at 12:12:28

JOG it just happens that I'm a ham radio operator. Let me shake the junkbox Cheesy and see what falls out! I'll PM ya with any good results I find Wink

Larry
KG4ZAR

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #5 - 03/30/13 at 14:12:48

KE5NAH.....But I've never really used it. I got the license several years ago when I got a nice radio at an auction. Radio turned out to be bad.
The only thing I have now is a BAOFENG handheld I got just for emergencies. About $65 for the Plus model on Amazon & people who reviewed it compared it to much more expensive radios. Cool
One article basicly said the Chinese were lowballing them to steal business from the Japanese radio manufacturers Grin.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:36:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › Starting a new project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.