Battery question. (Read 86 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Battery question.
03/29/13 at 15:02:44

I put a new battery in the bike last spring. When I went to install it today, after keeping it charging with a smart charger since November, the water level was quite low. I topped up the cells with distilled water and put it back on the charger. ( A Noco Genius 750).
The light almost immediately went to green, indicating a fully charged battery, or a badly sulfited battery, according to the charger manual.
My question is this: Will a battery keep a charge even when the water level is low? Will allowing the water level to get low cause a battery to sulfate?
(It's been a long time since I have had to deal with anything other than a maintenance free battery.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Battery question.
Reply #1 - 03/29/13 at 15:14:26

The four months on the charger is probably the reason the battery is low. If you are lucky there was no damage, but don't be surprised if the battery doesn't have the capacity it originally had. The portion of the plates which was exposed may no longer be very functional. The part which stayed submerged is probably okay.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #2 - 03/29/13 at 17:35:17

I would think that you are fine.  Your battery charger has an automatic shutoff and tests for sulfated plates and increases the amperage to desulfate them if needed.  If your charger says that your battery is good then I guess it is good.  I was just reading an article on batteries and I always fill the cells and then charge.  The article I was reading said that you fill the cells after charging just like you did.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 03/29/13 at 22:22:46

Thanks guys- I put it in the bike and it started up just fine.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #4 - 03/30/13 at 00:06:01

Never have that problem with a BigCrank.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:22:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery question.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.