Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fall'n keys . is this normal? (Read 197 times)
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
fall'n keys . is this normal?
03/29/13 at 11:03:24

hi! in General this is a bad thing happens... in the past year on the road lost the ignition key when i rode . and seem to have forgotten, but today awoke my Savage after winter hibernation and remembered last year's trouble . I removed the ignition switch and heard it. look and check and found nothing negative... in General, the key can be easily removed from the ignition switch in any of 3 positions "off" "on" or "p". is this normal? enlighten me please.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re:  fall'n keys . is this normal?
Reply #1 - 03/29/13 at 11:13:10

It's worn out...
Sometimes just having a new key made will fix it...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #2 - 03/29/13 at 11:52:59

I had the same issue with an old Ford truck. I used to keep Popsicle sticks in the cab to start it.  Cool

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #3 - 03/29/13 at 12:08:09

I currently have this problem, New key did not fix it for me. Until I replace barrel I put key in top pocket after starting. Wink

IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #4 - 03/29/13 at 14:48:34

Greg wrote on 03/29/13 at 11:52:59:
I had the same issue with an old Ford truck. I used to keep Popsicle sticks in the cab to start it.  Cool

When I was 8, a family friend had an old Toyota Tercel hatchback that she could pull the key out of while going down the road.... the first time she pulled the keys out, she scared the everloving crap outta me, those were the days Grin

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/29/13 at 15:42:50

EASY answer. One of those retractable key chains on your belt. Turn it on, pull the key out, let it gently retract, start it & go. Time to stop, turn it OFF,,if ya use the kill, its gonna be real easy to forget to put that key in & turn it off,.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 03/29/13 at 16:20:22

Greg wrote on 03/29/13 at 11:52:59:

Had a Land Cruiser that you could do that with. It was intentional though, so you could take the key out and unlock the tailgate without shutting the engine off. Probably because it had a power take off.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 03/29/13 at 16:47:36

Remember the Chevrolet cars you put the key in took it of lock and you could pull the key out,Start it and turn off with out the key in it,The rest of GM cars didn't have that.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #8 - 03/29/13 at 17:05:43

my 95 cheby c2500 will do that.  you can put the key in the ignition and turn it part way and then pull it out. Then you won't have to use the key unless you turn it all the way back to locked position.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #9 - 03/29/13 at 17:40:27

Did you see this?  Problem solved.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1364585046

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/01/13 at 05:20:01

I had a VW bus that had a worn switch and you could take the key out when it was running.  One day I was driving to Cincinnati and when I was going over the bridge the keys fell out of the ignition switch.  I was in the process of making a new floor mat and did not have any floor covering, and the little cover over the master cylinder reservoir was not snapped into the floor.  The keys dropped straight down and went out the hole in the floor for master cylinder.  The keys dropped onto the highway....and I had to pull over and run back and dodge traffic to get my keys before someone ran over them!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #11 - 04/01/13 at 21:23:52

My dad used to drive his old Chevy to high school.  You could remove the key while the engine was running.

Anyway, when school let out one afternoon, he jumped in his car and went to start it.....except it was already running.

Here it had been idling all day!  He was in such a rush to get to homeroom that morning that he pulled the key out of the ignition without turning the engine off first and went running into the school building....   Grin

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 07:35:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fall'n keys . is this normal?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.