Send Topic Print
premium or regular (Read 225 times)
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

on a shooting range in OK.
premium or regular
03/28/13 at 17:52:42

i have a 2004 savage. engine is stock except for the verslavy i put in today. the po said the carb was jetted, and it has a harley muffler. my question is. should i run premium or regular gas? i have tried both, but im wondering if one is better for the engine than the other. also, should i worry about ethanol in the gas?

shoot fast. reload faster.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: premium or regular
Reply #1 - 03/28/13 at 17:57:58

it's a low compression engine,  Regular is all you need.  The only thing premium will do is deplete more money from your wallet.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 03/28/13 at 18:05:36

Quote:
should i worry about ethanol in the gas?

No sense worrying 'cause most places you can't do anything about it anyway. As long as the pump says it's 10% ethanol or less, you'll be OK.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #3 - 03/28/13 at 20:30:10

45acp wrote on 03/28/13 at 17:52:42:
also, should i worry about ethanol in the gas?

As long as your going through a tank every five or six weeks, no.  Much longer and you'll want to use some sort of stabilizer.

IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/28/13 at 22:27:23

hey thanks guys. guess ill quit wastin money on the good stuff. we still have a few stations around here with no ethanol,so i try to fill up there. good to know i wont hurt my bike if i go elsewhere.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 03/28/13 at 22:38:38

Even the idea, that "premuim" is the good stuff, is a misnomer...
Premium,.. is fuel with an anti-knock additive... it's not better... it's just fuel that has a higher ignition temperature...
High compression, performance need it... our bikes don't...
If high compression/performance engines could use it, without damage,... they would actually perform better on regular gas...
... because,.. there is more gas in regular gas, than in gas with an anti-knock additive... (that additive, is taking the place of fuel)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 03/29/13 at 04:13:43

Regular for sure. The only real problem with the ethanol is if you leave the gas sitting in the carb for prolonged periods, if you aren't going to ride for a while like a month or longer just don't leave gas sitting in the carb. The ethanol seems to gum up over time when it just sits there   Shocked

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 03/29/13 at 08:47:20

Serowbot wrote on 03/28/13 at 22:38:38:
Premium,.. is fuel with an anti-knock additive... it's not better... it's just fuel that has a higher ignition temperature...
If high compression/performance engines could use it, without damage,... they would actually perform better on regular gas...
... because,.. there is more gas in regular gas, than in gas with an anti-knock additive... (that additive, is taking the place of fuel)...

The additives are still flammable so it's not like you're really losing fuel.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #8 - 03/29/13 at 09:51:34

ToesNose wrote on 03/29/13 at 04:13:43:
Regular for sure. The only real problem with the ethanol is if you leave the gas sitting in the carb for prolonged periods, if you aren't going to ride for a while like a month or longer just don't leave gas sitting in the carb. The ethanol seems to gum up over time when it just sits there   Shocked

Maybe the stations around here aren't all that bad...this is the second winter where I filled up at my regular station before winter, parked the bike with maybe 1/2 - 3/4 a tank and didn't start it for 3-5 months. When it comes time to start it in the spring, I have more issues with making sure the tires are filled to the correct PSI & the battery is charged than worrying about the gas. Have not had a problem yet, knock on wood, and my regular stations all have the "may contain up to 10%" disclaimer. (My bike is stored in a climate controlled garage when I'm not riding it, which may or may not impact my results too.)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/29/13 at 11:11:48

well regular it is then. i didnt notice any difference between the two while riding. guess ill spend the extra money where it counts..... OIL.
thanks guys.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 03/29/13 at 11:12:14

Cavi Mike wrote on 03/29/13 at 08:47:20:
Serowbot wrote on 03/28/13 at 22:38:38:

The additives are still flammable so it's not like you're really losing fuel.

Flammable, yes, but not with properties needed for proper burning in an internal combustion engine.  If simple burnableness were okay, we could put kerosene or Jack Daniels or vegetable oil in the gas.  More additives to control detonation do, in fact, lower the energy content of the gas.  Regular has more energy in it than premium.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 03/29/13 at 16:25:32

Ahhhh yes,,, you simply must consider the degree of burnableness of the additives,,

HA! I said "Degree" talking about burnableness,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #12 - 03/29/13 at 22:39:10

Premium fuel has less energy than regular fuel.  If you test it, a bike that does not need it will have less power on premium.  It is only needed in higher compressions engines to prevent pre-detonation and too fast a flame front causing knock.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 03/29/13 at 22:57:45

Mine will still burn the cheapest crap I can find. Same fuel economy on no name 87 octane as on name brand. 36mpg average with the apehangers.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 03/29/13 at 23:27:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/29/13 at 16:25:32:
Ahhhh yes,,, you simply must consider the degree of burnableness of the additives,,

HA! I said "Degree" talking about burnableness,,,

I was already impressed that you said "burnableness"...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:40:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › premium or regular

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.