ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: oil
Reply #75 - 04/16/13 at 18:16:40

bill67 wrote on 04/16/13 at 12:58:17:
Klotz MX4 is the best oil you can get.

I do believe you have said that before......a hundred times or more.

You got any proof this time?  Or are you back to just making one sentence statements and running away?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #76 - 04/16/13 at 18:26:26

wheelsoffreedom76 wrote on 04/16/13 at 12:52:20:
    The product # I beleive on the oil I purchased is 10702. However the bottle is grey instead of white like the google search of the number shows. The JASO rating is MA-2 on mine, and some pictures of the white bottle product show just MA.  

Well, some information is better than no information, but Lucas changes up their oil's names and specs every season so it does create a little bit of confusion.

JASO MA rating no longer means very much as if you shoot for an MA2 and fail part of the test you "drop back" to only an MA rating.  This is sad, but it is the way JASO rolls now-a-days.   So an oil tested at 800ppm MA2 that fails part of the test gets an MA rating, which use to mean more ZDDP but as of this year no longer means much of anything.

Some older Lucas data such as listed below shows the older MA/SL specs of 1100 ppm of ZDDP which would be a better oil than we have seen Lucas shipping sometimes currently under the MA2 listing (800 ppm ZDDP max).

Older VOA
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2441456  
(they complain about the oil breaking down too fast)

More current VOA
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2601166
(they is MEAN, them BITOG fellers, jest plum mean to them poor old Lucas oil products)

Will your Savage blow up?   Heck no, run the oil until you would normally change it.  You can buy better oils for about half as much money, Rotella T6 comes to mind as a better full synthetic oil that happens to cost about $5 and some change a quart.

Running a 20w50 synthetic oil is not the best thing to do in a Savage.  A decent synthetic does not thin out like an old Harley dino oil did in them old Harleys  -- it stays full thick the whole time.   And a 50W oil is too thick for normal use in a Savage, you will waste some gasoline and have extra sump oil temperature because the thicker oil can nether accept nor dump heat as quickly as a 40W synthetic can do.   A synthetic 40w is the best all round use oil in the Savage engine.

You don't own a Harley, so why are you using Harley oil?   You can, some do -- but it isn't what is recommended for a closer tolerance Japanese engine.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #77 - 04/16/13 at 18:27:54

I would say it doesn't matter if klotz is good or not. The price and availability will disqualify it with me. there are other oils that will be just as good or better that are readily available at a much cheaper price.

just my opinion

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #78 - 04/16/13 at 18:33:58

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/16/13 at 18:26:26:
wheelsoffreedom76 wrote on 04/16/13 at 12:52:20:
    The product # I beleive on the oil I purchased is 10702. However the bottle is grey instead of white like the google search of the number shows. The JASO rating is MA-2 on mine, and some pictures of the white bottle product show just MA.  

Well, some information is better than no information, but Lucas changes up their oil names and specs every season so it creates a little bit of confusion.

JASO MA rating no longer means very much as if you shoot for an MA2 and fail part of the test you "drop back" to only an MA rating.  This is sad, but it is the way JASO rolls now-a-days.   So an oil tested at 800ppm MA2 that fails part of the test gets an MA rating, which use to mean more ZDDP but as of this year no longer means much of anything.

Some older Lucas data such as listed below shows the older MA/SL specs of 1100 ppm of ZDDP which would be a better oil than we have seen Lucas shipping sometimes currently under the MA2 listing (800 ppm ZDDP max).

Older VOA
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2441456

More current VOA
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2601166

Looking at the current uoa I would not use that oil in my lawn mower.

ZDDP levels are pitiful.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:34:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.